Pod Your Reef

HCSCEO's DIY AIO 10G Frag Tanks *Schematics added 9-4-2008

hcsceo

wow your frag tank design is looking sweet... what are yo planning on keeping in it? one recomendation i would have is put a second source of flow in there under the diagonal rack facing the back wall so you have more flow... a koralia nano would be perfect

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow your frag tank design is looking sweet... what are yo planning on keeping in it? one recomendation i would have is put a second source of flow in there under the diagonal rack facing the back wall so you have more flow... a koralia nano would be perfect

yea matty I am thinking I am going to need the extra flow and the koralina is at the top of my list. I really love palys and zoas so a bunch of those for sure. mushrooms and rics on the bottem and maybe a few sps.

I might keep one tank for quarantine for new corals and frag and move them to the other. Thanks

Steve

aw man lol i really need a light for my 20 long idea its the only thing holding me back as of now

Ok now back to the search

OK the hood, table top and trim are all done and installed. I also installed the 175 MH and wired it all up. I'm waiting on a couple of items from drsfostersmith and then I should be ready to fill these guys up. I'm guessing by this weekend I'll have the water in them.

Steve

IMAGE_026.jpg

IMAGE_025.jpg

NotAPiscivore

Tagging along. Your tank looks great. Just curious, why did you use glass for the rails instead of clear plexi? Also, what type of filtration do you plan for your tanks?

Tagging along. Your tank looks great. Just curious, why did you use glass for the rails instead of clear plexi? Also, what type of filtration do you plan for your tanks?

The main reason I used the glass instead of plexi is the holding strength of glass on glass with silicon. However, I think that plexi would have worked fine in this case. I just didn't want to get a month or two into my tanks and find out I should have used glass instead. The filtration will be all natural. I'm planning on 2 or 3 pounds of rock rubble in the fuge area with cheato in each tank and 1 inch or so of live sand.

Steve

ok both tanks are filled with saltwater and running as of this weekend. All that is left is to put in sand, rock rubble, and install the timer for the mh. cycle should be starting thursday or friday!! I'll update the pics then.

Steve

rustytrombonist
ok both tanks are filled with saltwater and running as of this weekend. All that is left is to put in sand, rock rubble, and install the timer for the mh. cycle should be starting thursday or friday!! I'll update the pics then.

Steve

i wana make a 10 gal all in one, you said your putting the blueprints or something up so everyone can use it?

i wana make a 10 gal all in one, you said your putting the blueprints or something up so everyone can use it?

Yes I'm definately planning to. haven't got around to making them up but I will soon.

Steve

rustytrombonist
Yes I'm definately planning to. haven't got around to making them up but I will soon.

Steve

aight thanks bc ive never done something like that before and im kinda looking forward to trying

You can get clear acrylic or plexi at Lowes or Home Depot and colored acrylic or plexi at glass shops in your local area. I've found Ebay very inexpensive for acrylic but for the little bit you will need to do a 10 gallon a few extra dollars to get it locally is probably just fine.

Steve

rustytrombonist
You can get clear acrylic or plexi at Lowes or Home Depot and colored acrylic or plexi at glass shops in your local area. I've found Ebay very inexpensive for acrylic but for the little bit you will need to do a 10 gallon a few extra dollars to get it locally is probably just fine.

Steve

thanks

I'm in the same boat as rusty, could you do some rear tank shots so I can see how you have your chambers set up?

I don't really understand fully how these set ups work, does the power head in the last chamber pull the water thru or is it just because water is constantly coming from the surface skimmer?

sorry if these questions are dumb, I'm new to DIY and I'm broke so DIY is the best and only way for me as of now

thanks

Ian

I'm in the same boat as rusty, could you do some rear tank shots so I can see how you have your chambers set up?

I don't really understand fully how these set ups work, does the power head in the last chamber pull the water thru or is it just because water is constantly coming from the surface skimmer?

sorry if these questions are dumb, I'm new to DIY and I'm broke so DIY is the best and only way for me as of now

thanks

Ian

Take a look at this thread as there is a lot of good info here also. Sandeep's AIO The water flows over the surface skimmer and down through the fuge and to the return pump and is pushed back into the tank. My pics will be identical to the ones posted on that thread.

Steve

With the heat in texas the tanks are heating up during the day to 84 when my house temp is 78 during the day. I've ordered a bank of Aquatek Fans the 6 unit version to help cool it off. We will see how it goes. I've updated with that pricing on the first post.

Steve

Live sand was added last night. 10#'s to each tank. We have had a major duststorm in the tanks since so I went and got a tetra whisper in tank filter to help collect all the dust and give me an easy way to run chemipure or other media in the future. Added price to first thread.

Steve

These tanks are finally cycling. I added 2# of live rock per tank. I'm going to have to get some more in a couple of weeks as I'm OUT of money on this project. But at least the tanks are cycling now. I'll add pics tomorrow when they clear up.

Steve

Here is a pic with the fans in place. Honestly I can't believe how good these things work. These fans cost me about $60 and they brought the temps down from 84-86 to 76 and my stealth heaters were calibrated to 80 at the time. Honestly I don't think the 50 watt heaters can keep up now.

IMG_0368.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Tanks are now cycled. One interesting thing to note.. I used Instant Ocean for both tanks. Both tanks use the same source water. Both tanks are under the exact same light. Both tanks have the same amount of LR from the exact same source. Both tanks are using the same live sand from the same bag. I topped off each tank at the exact same time with the same water daily. Both tanks are setup exactly the same. The only difference is when I mixed the salt one tank had IO from one bag and the other tank got IO from another bag. When I mixed the first batch the mix had suspended particles that would not dissolve completely. That tank has a major diatom bloom and the PH is high at 8.8 Makes you wonder about IO batch to batch mixes when you see this. Now that the cycle is done I'm planning to change to a new salt product called H2O but thought some of you might find this interesting. CUC is in and I think I'll let the tanks sit till all the algae cycles are complete before adding my frags.

Steve

Archived