Pod Your Reef

two questions

devil

1)why apitasias considered harmfull?

I had apitasias in my tank and they weren't harming any one. I saw them in other reef tanks and newer saw them harming any thing.

2)is it dangerous to cut finger corals when you want to breed them?

Aiptasia starts out relatively benign and would be overlooked by the aquarist if it wasn't able to reproduce the way it does. As soon as it gets going thogh it is a nightmare to keep up with an many can be present in the tank with out being visible. if they colozize heavily near a coral then the coral is at risk.

as for the fingers, "yes & no". No in the sense that most people take small cuttings from a lush finger for frags. Yes in the sense that there is a right and a wrong way to do it, from selecting the proper and clean tool to the actual cut itself. Screwing this up can maximize the chance of an infection and can kill the coral.

1)so they are not so harmfull as they say do they.

I think I will watch out for them but won't be killing them if not nececary.

2)so how do I breed them exactly?

If you want to keep coral than I would advise you to rid yourself of aiptasia. all cnidarians (coral, anemones, jellyfish) have stinging cells that they fire at those that violate their space. This can be problematic to your coral if aiptasia is growing around it.

How do you breed aiptasia? Jeez, what a thought! Well if you are (UN)lucky enough to get a rock with aiptasia all you have to do is leave it alone and it will eventually reproduce itself. Like fanworms and coral it might be happy to take in a planktonic food until it grows larger, in which case you can treat like a common anemone by feeding it meaty pieces.

I meant how do you breed the finger coral!!!

and not the apitasia.

why did I asked if the apitasia is dangerous? because I already said elswere that it is hard to find quality live rock in israel and almost all the live rock you can find is full with apitasias.

Archived