Pod Your Reef

Diggmans's 3g JBJ Pico

diggman08

sweeet diagram el fab ;)

i think what im going to do since my heater is so slim line.. is put the filter floss where yours is,, but were your heater is and that second divider put the chemipure elite( i want to make sure the water is forced through it,, and then just leave my heater in the Chaeto area.. see how it works.. if not i have the other divider like yours i may silicone it in.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
el fabuloso
Why the chemipure elite over purigen or other "carbon" units?

I've used Purigen before and in my experience, Chemi-Pure Elite is way better. Makes the water sparkle!

i think what im going to do since my heater is so slim line.. is put the filter floss where yours is,, but were your heater is and that second divider put the chemipure elite( i want to make sure the water is forced through it,, and then just leave my heater in the Chaeto area.. see how it works.. if not i have the other divider like yours i may silicone it in.

Sounds like a good plan! Chemi-Pure Elite doesn't come in half units though so I had to bust one open to put half in a media bag since the whole unit is actually too big for the filter. Just giving you a heads up. ;)

patrick1234

If a glass shop is not willing to do cut the lid for you do it your self. using a dremel and a diamound bit don't force it and try to do it with a hose runing water over it if not heat/pressure=broken glass

Patrick- I AM NOT NOT NOT GOING TO ATTEMPT THAT..LOL

EL FAB i had to do that for my 2gal pico.. cut a slit and pour about half the unint out then seal it back up... ( with lighter and superglue) worked pretty well.

If a glass shop is not willing to do cut the lid for you do it your self. using a dremel and a diamound bit don't force it and try to do it with a hose runing water over it if not heat/pressure=broken glass

I dropped off my template at my local glass shop this morning. They said the notch in the back would be no problem ... :)

hmm.. that great newes.... if mine cant do it.. i may get you to get me one cut.. and ship it too me... if you want to of course.

so day 5 update:

nothing much going on,, the beatiful purple rock is turning brown all over...yea!! the cycle has begun i believe

ITS ugly ugly uglly right now.. all that pretty purple is brown :( i hate the waiting game... its cool though because i have my other pico to fiddle with during the cycle..

Hey digg

Looks nice...can't wait to see the pics after you're brown is gone. I never got brown on mine, odd. Mine's been pretty much in limbo the last few weeks waiting for the light stand.

How many lbs of rock are in yours (don't recall seeing that, just the $ per lb). I love the paint job, sweet looking tank.

I see you did have enough black sand, or did you end up buying a bag of the stuff? Fun to wash huh?

Will be looking forward to watching this grow.

yeah it was a PIA to wash.. i have 5lbs. of LR.. and im guessing thats about 3lbs of LS that i got.. it a low sandbed compared to my 2g pico..

Update: i will probably be removing my Heater because the temp are around 80,, and i think that is from the heat of the Fuge light.. so i have two optionss here....

1.) swith the fuge light so it runs at night and leave heater.

2.) remove heater, leave fuge light on day cycle.

what do yall think

1.) swith the fuge light so it runs at night and leave heater.

2.) remove heater, leave fuge light on day cycle.

#1. That's the exact same thing that I'll be doing as well.

just lettin ride :) its getting pretty ugly in there i cant wait till its over.. theres lots of critters in there

greenn algae everywhen now.. ive never had a cycle like this... di dont know what the deal is.. maybe from the sand is causing this... ill get pics when i find my camera :)

It's funny that you say that because I never experienced any green algal blooms in my 55 or my 29. Just really nice diatom blooms instead. Green algae is the last thing to bloom so it sounds like you are on the downside of the cycle.

its on the glass,pumpintake,rock,sand, everything,,a nd its not like GHA, its like little trees.. ill have to get pics up soon... maybe i should do a water change

i think I know what you're talking about, but rather as describing it as little trees, it was more like little clumps of grass a child would draw. I just let me astreas munch on them and they cleaned it all up within 2 days.

this is by far the nastiest cycle i have ever witnessed...whyyy!!.. is it from the black sand,, being it was dry and not live/seeded?

i have a ton of bristle worms in there also.

I was under the impression the black sand did not cause much of a cycle if introduced to an established tank (therefore not really affect your cycle either)

Archived