Innovative Marine Aquariums

Diggmans's 3g JBJ Pico

diggman08

well howd i do bonsai, el fab, and fiction ?????

:happydance: Well done! That is an incredible set of first photos for the tank ... the rock looks nice and mature - lots of coraline. I like the way it is arranged, it's reminiscent of my Picotope, but I'm lacking in the awesome purple coloration :)

I'm glad to hear the AC70 is working better. I don't have an Chaeto in mine yet ... I have plenty in my BC14, I just don't have the fuge light for the AC70 at work yet ... yours looks awesome in there.

Great Tank!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
el fabuloso

LOVE it! The paint job is awesome and I'm definitely jealous of your coralline covered rocks. Nice rock work, by the way which is important since it serves as the "skeleton" of your tank. I'm glad you finally got the AC working. What kind of light do you have in it?

Hey Mike. Glad to see this bad boy up and running now and what a sweet setup it has turned out to be already....and there isn't really anything in there :)

I really really like how the black paint turned out on there....nice job on taping it all off. I know what a pain that can be getting it just right so there aren't any curvy lines or spots where you miss it.

I agree with the others on the rock as well. I don't think you need to touch that rock work ever again. Should set you up for all of those sweet palys and zoas when the tank has cycled. I am always amazed at how big these teeny little tanks can look and it all depends on the scaping. Great job.

Time to sit back with a few and watch this thing cycle in. Shouldn't really take too long considering it's only a couple gallons and the rock obviously is very established.

Great job man....I'm jealous for sure. Wish I could have one of these at work....then I really wouldn't get anything done.

thanks guys,, i appreciate the kind words.... im really happy with the rock,, i already see all kinds of critters in the tank.... counted about 8-10 baby starfish ( few varietys) and some other types of pods..

i can imagine once the cycle is in full effect theyll reallly be coming out..

el fab its a submersable light,, i dont know what kind it is or were it was purchased from.. i bought a few weeks back from someone on here in the classifieds.. it was like $6 bucks :) it works really well!!

I think the submersable type lights are the most effective for fuges.

plus it puts of a little heat.. so during the day when the fuge light is on it will keep the temp up.. and at night when it shuts off ,, most likely my heater will kick on to keep the temp stable..

also, they guy that i bought the AC70 from,, is sending me a AC40 impellar he had for it... the one im using now is the modded AC70 impellar... which would give more flow??

thanks alot dive,, you should definetly get one.. talk your wife into it :) hehe

i dont get anything done at work, because of this dang website :rant:

yeah im just worried about this black sand, since it is not live, or seeded... maybe the cycle will take a longer..

If you have a modded impeller, its giving you less flow. Most of the mods involve trimming or completely removing blades from the impeller. That AC40 impeller should give you some nice flow. I have my AC50 backed all the way down and it runs fine in my Finnex 4gal.

Love the way the tank looks BTW. Can't wait to see all those sweet zoos in there!

Almost forgot. I know the 420nm actinic bulb in the fixture is going to make the corals look great, but you could mod the light to make them pop a little more. If you are willing to sacrifice the moonlights, you could swap them out with some high power UV LEDs that will really bring the color out, but not change the look of the tank. You just run them with your main lights. There are some 1/2W and 1W UV LEDs that could be used for that purpose. That would make the tank a real show stopper.

hmmm. very interesting Evil.. are the LEDS blue ?? if so i could probably run the 24/7 to act as a moon light also right?? give me some more info on this , you have my attention.

i was actually going to switch out the10k for a 50/50 for more actinic.. but this way seems better because ill still get good growth from the 10k.. while supplementing more POP from the L.e.d.

The 50/50 will only get you more blue, not more "pop". The actinic side of that bulb is 460nm, not the 420nm which is really what makes the colors fluoresce. The dual actinic has both.

As far as the UV LEDs go, they will look purple. But because the light is starting to get into the area that the eye cannot see very well, it looks very dim and as a result will not change the look of the overall light in the tank. What it will do is make all the color fluoresce even more. The UV LEDs are at the top end of the UV spectrum and are low enough power that it won't harm anything (some UV is bad).

Think black light for your tank.

also, they guy that i bought the AC70 from,, is sending me a AC40 impellar he had for it... the one im using now is the modded AC70 impellar... which would give more flow??

what are you going to do with the AC70 impellar? i'll give you 50 cents for it =]

ooooo ahhhhhhh oooo ahhh,, you make it sound so awesome evil..lol.. i want one... alls ill need is 1 led.. will it directly replace my white moonlight led?? where to get one and what color,etc will i need?? have you done this mod to yours??? dude i bet that will make those Rare Palys ill be housing loook like Glow in the Dark Candy :) :)

50 cent ?? lol, you cant even buy a pack of gum for that cheap :)

You could use the 5mm LEDs that are common on ebay, but you would need a bunch of them to make it worthwhile (ie. not just replacing the one moonlight). Another alternative, but requires a little more effort is a 1W UV LED on DealExtreme. Will also require the power supply to be changed to something with a little more grunt, and the LED will need a heatsink. But you only need one of them.

It's some effort, but the results could be stunning!

yeah sounds like alot of work... man i bet it would turn out great... not sure wut heatsinking is?? im thinkin that a 1/2wtt one would be better because of the less heat... the one one deal extreme says the light is rather bright and on the high end of spectrum?? if anything i would want one that wouldnt show much visible difference in the color of the tank, but the color of the Corals..

im going to research this a little more,,, see if anyone has used these types of leds in tanks.

yeah sounds like alot of work... man i bet it would turn out great... not sure wut heatsinking is?? im thinkin that a 1/2wtt one would be better because of the less heat... the one one deal extreme says the light is rather bright and on the high end of spectrum?? if anything i would want one that wouldnt show much visible difference in the color of the tank, but the color of the Corals..

im going to research this a little more,,, see if anyone has used these types of leds in tanks.

Hey - what did your glass shop say about that cut?

50 cent ?? lol, you cant even buy a pack of gum for that cheap :)

no you can't get a pack of gum, but you can get a snickers candybar.

:)

bonsai i havent had time to get away from work... ill try and get to them this week one day...

It sounds harder than it is. But like I said, the results could be worth it.

hmmm. i was thinking of stickin mine inbetween the u tube side and the Fuge side.. where the Stock filter dealeo is siliconed.. there is a slot ther i dunno ... ill prob do like yours.. and then put some Purigen and CHemipure elite in that other spot..

el fabuloso
are any of yall running filter floss in your AC70's ??

Now that I'm not using my heater I've had all the room to stuff filter floss in my AC70. With the heater in the filter I used a filter pad and had it set up like this:

CIMG4009.jpg

Archived