SaltCritters.com

Diggmans's 3g JBJ Pico

diggman08

ok so most of you have already been following my 2g Pico thread.. so i decided to start one here for my new 3JBJ thread... before i bought the actual tank i purchased all my MOD stuff and whatnot.. then i ordered the tank.. so i have everything now awaiting water and rock..

Specs & equip so far are:::

JBJ 3g Picotope

AC70 fully modded for fuge

Current Dual 36wtt light

Tahitian Black moon sand

Submersable fuge light

Marine shatterproof 10wt heater

tank bottom and back painted(satin black)

(custom glass lid in the works)

so all my previous tanks have been housed with varieties of corals, fish , whathaveyou.. , my 2gal Pico is mostly shrroom, ric domintated, but also has other softies, daisys..

THIS tank will be different.. it will be 100% only the RAREST of the rare and unusual Palythoas/Zoanthids

im talking stuff like Chameleon PE, PPE, OPE, GPE, AOG,, you get the picture...

its crazy the though of all that $$$$ in only 3gallons of water :o

anyway here are some pics of the progress so far

DSC01305.jpg

DSC01306.jpg

DSC01305.jpg

Templete i made for the Custom glass lid..( will be taking it to glass shop next week)

DSC01310.jpg

DSC01309.jpg

Taped up and ready for some PAINT

DSC01313.jpg

This took a steady hand, but i think i did well..( i paintd the bottom,, so that the clear lip at bottom will be like 3D/translucent black looking.... i think it will look cool

DSC01314.jpg

Painted

DSC01318.jpg

DSC01315.jpg

thanks for looking.. i will be moving the 2gal Pico to my GF house eventually, but will still keep the thread updated as this one :)

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DSC01310.jpg

That is exactly the same template I made today! My current glass top doesn't have the little 1" bits on the back to extend to the back of the tank ... I wasn't sure if the glass company could cut out the big notch like that. But I'll find out!

I'll be following this thread for sure.

yeah i hope they can do it.. i have my fingers crossed.... its gonna be Perfect if they can do it.. the lights should sit right on top..

where are you going to get your glass top cut?

i took mine to lowes and they said they couldnt cut the curves.

No no no ... you have to find a glass shop. Lowes/Home Depot/Menards = useless.

Looking great Mike. Can't wait to see it with those sweet palys you got set against that black sand and black background. It will be a stunner.

That custom top looks awesome. The only thing that I noticed and wondered was if you tested out how far out into the tank the water from the AC70 will flow. I see you have it set back...just didn't want you to get that sweet top cut and then the water from the AC ends up getting on it.

If for some reason they cannot do it at a glass shop, get a pc. of 1/4 acrylic and make your own. I say 1/4" so that it does not bow under the lights.

thanks guys... Spank i really dont want to use acrylic... it just cheapy and im thinkin the glass will give much better light penetration.. ihave a custom glass shop right around the corner.. they should be able to do it...

Dive,, i put the AC on the tank. then measered for the lid accordigly... i gave it about 1/2'-3/4' gap , so it should be fine,, if not i can always get more trimmed off..

Bonsai i have to thank you for the great idea on this lid ;)

today im pullin off the tape and newspaper, Cleaning the crap out of the black sand, and headed to Coral Connection to get some Awesome LR... i want a some crazy looking shaped pieces... just to be different.... plus i think im not going to put that much,, being most of my palys and zoas will be very low in the tank ( sandbed, lower rocks). ill keep yall posted..

Cool, you are right glass will be much better, just giving you another option if no one can cut it. Hey did you end up selling the bio cube?

no spank i have NOT sold it yet.. but still for sale... want it?? ;)

OK guys, i got some Awesome LR today,, its about 95% covered in coraline.. i think you will enjoy my Aquascapee :) i made like a channel running through the middle, its pretty cool... the sand was a PITA to clean, but i got it done and everything is setup,, filled with water.... I moved the 2g to my Computer desk, and put this one where the 2g was...

any way heres my problem... i can get the AC70 to get a good suction.. it will suck and just dripp water out of it.. what to do!!!!! Need quick response on this guys...

thanks MIke

when my AC first starts up some times there is air trapped in the U-tube... i just shift it between high and low flow and it will eventually push the air out... are you sure the tube is making good contact with the prop plate?

yeah i pushed it down as far as it can go.. it touching... i cant seem to get the excess air out of the intake tubee.. i know thats gottta be the problem...

el fabuloso

Awesome tank! I like what you're doing with it and even more interesting is your stocking plan. Can't wait to see it come together. :happy:

thanks fab,, your tank is one of inspirtaion :)

i have my stock hob on right now.. because i cant get the AC70 work properly... more pics coming this evening

el fabuloso

Thanks, I'm flattered. :blush:

As for your AC70 malfunction, I'm pretty sure it's a contact issue with the intake tube. I had that same problem the first time I had mine up and running and I was pretty sure I had it pushed all the way down but it still wouldn't work. So it took several tries of taking the tube in and out and wiggling it around until it finally snapped into place and worked properly. This seems to be a normal problem at first for a lot of people so I would just keep trying. :)

ok thanks fab... its really a PITA.... someone else told be to take some air line and feed it up the tube and suck out the extra air..

diggman,

Let me know what your glass shop says about the template that you created from the Picotope top. I'm interested to see if they can make that cut on the back portion to accommodate the AC70.

Looking forward to following along in this thread -- lets see some pics of this Picotope with Live Rock and Water already! :)

Pic update peeps:

:happydance:

Just after pulling the Tape off tank... thought it turned out darn good :)

DSC01327.jpg

DSC01324.jpg

Moon sand and my aquascape.. how do yall like the channel .. i think its pretty cool ( maybe have different palys going along each side of it and throughout)

DSC01329.jpg

Just putt water in, still cloudy in these pics( stock hob one there, couldnt get the AC to work)

DSC01334.jpg

DSC01335.jpg

OK today i finally got the AC70 working a little better.. i actually like that its not sucking 100% because it sets the flow just right i think.. i have the intake tube all the way at full blast.. i also modded the lid for my Heater and Fuge light cords so they would fit though and the lid would shut perfectly.

Heres pics with everything fully up and running with all the Mods and finished product :) :)

DSC01343.jpg

DSC01344.jpg

well howd i do bonsai, el fab, and fiction ?????

o yeah,, and my LR , $8.00/lb from one of there(coral conn.) Show Tanks.. it really is top notch stuff :)

and i will be checking on the glass lid tomorow ( ill keep yall updated on what they say about it)

Let the Cycle Begin ( while drinking a cold beer) ;)fingerscrossed

Archived