inTank Media Baskets

The Mantis Shrimp Guide Thread

travisurfer

captainbastard

Thats sucks about yours man :o . I finally got some better pics of mine, although he almost broke a mug i put him in! Does this help id him?

post-44075-1241982555_thumb.jpg

post-44075-1241982524_thumb.jpg

post-44075-1241982544_thumb.jpg

travisurfer
Thats sucks about yours man :o . I finally got some better pics of mine, although he almost broke a mug i put him in! Does this help id him?

If the meral spots are purple as you said earlier, then I'd still go with G. smithii.

Formula462
Cool, i didnt know they made acrylic AIOs. I might have to look into that, what brand is it? Yea the smaller mantis probably couldnt get through glass but I rent my place so I cant take that chance with my smithii. Mine loves the blue leg hermits, but I have seen him go at a snail on occasion. I also put two larger emerald crabs but he hasnt touched those yet.

biocubes

DogfoodEnforcer

im picking up my guy tomorrow! (first ever)

i believe it is a G. Smitthi, but i'm not 100% sure.

it's going into a 10 gallon tank. right now i have about an inch of substrate in there (with up to 2" in some places). how much deeper should i make the sand so im not at risk of the little fella trying to burrow through the bottom of the tank?

there's about 10lbs of LR in there (a bit more)...not sure if that matters with this question

seahorsedreams

So, do you know what shell rot really looks like....

Can be just a little black dot just visible at the surface...

... but that's just the tip of the iceburg.

IMG_9936.jpg

IMG_9942.jpg

Removed the top looking down through.

IMG_9945.jpg

From the side.

IMG_9946.jpg

From the top down.

IMG_9953.jpg

seahorsedreams

You can totally see how they get trapped. The rot is attached to the shell and is also half way through their "meat". They can't get rid of it.

travisurfer
im picking up my guy tomorrow! (first ever)

i believe it is a G. Smitthi, but i'm not 100% sure.

it's going into a 10 gallon tank. right now i have about an inch of substrate in there (with up to 2" in some places). how much deeper should i make the sand so im not at risk of the little fella trying to burrow through the bottom of the tank?

there's about 10lbs of LR in there (a bit more)...not sure if that matters with this question

As it is, the sand should be fine. I wouldn't worry about the mantis breaking through.

So, do you know what shell rot really looks like....

Wow, very informative. Would you mind if I incorporated one of the pics into the guide at a later point?

Actually, the tank is a Boyu 10 gallon (give or take.) Made in China. Really hard to find around in America, the only one I've ever seen is sitting in my living room. I got it because it was cheaper than any of the cubes or pods commonly available.

Is there any thing unique to N.Wennerae? I'm trying to find something specific about it that sets it apart. Just want to get a positive ID.

travisurfer
Actually, the tank is a Boyu 10 gallon (give or take.) Made in China. Really hard to find around in America, the only one I've ever seen is sitting in my living room. I got it because it was cheaper than any of the cubes or pods commonly available.

Is there any thing unique to N.Wennerae? I'm trying to find something specific about it that sets it apart. Just want to get a positive ID.

If it was collected in the Caribbean, the odds are in favor of it being N. wennerae; however, there is always a slight chance of it being N. bredini. There aren't any distinguishing factors between the two but most of the mantids available to us are from the Caribbean come from the Northern Caribbean, which would lend the majority of them to be N. wennerae.

travisurfer
this thread always makes me want a mantis

Then I suppose my goal is accomplished. We need more people to care for mantids than those who simply flush them down the toilet.

DogfoodEnforcer
Then I suppose my goal is accomplished. We need more people to care for mantids than those who simply flush them down the toilet.

i agree. having just got my first one i cant believe why someone would flush it! i can understand space limitations, but im sure others would take it. they're so freaking intelligent.

my one came in as a hitchhiker to my LFS. couldn't have asked for a more beautiful mantid!

mantis023.jpg

captainbastard
i agree. having just got my first one i cant believe why someone would flush it! i can understand space limitations, but im sure others would take it. they're so freaking intelligent.

my one came in as a hitchhiker to my LFS. couldn't have asked for a more beautiful mantid!

mantis023.jpg

WOW that should be your avatar. I can never get any pics of mine cuz hes such a wuss

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I couldnt help but want a mantis after reading this! I currently have two tanks cycling, one is a 36g that is all set up for a reef commutinty....BUT I also have a random 26g cycling that I just kinda am cycling for the sake of "just in case"..liikkee this! Is there any species that would "filll up" the tank? by fill up I mean that wouldnt look small compared to the tank and that would be out and about a lot!

The tank already has a dsb so it could build a burrow pretty easily.

travisurfer
Hey everyone, I couldnt help but want a mantis after reading this! I currently have two tanks cycling, one is a 36g that is all set up for a reef commutinty....BUT I also have a random 26g cycling that I just kinda am cycling for the sake of "just in case"..liikkee this! Is there any species that would "filll up" the tank? by fill up I mean that wouldnt look small compared to the tank and that would be out and about a lot!

The tank already has a dsb so it could build a burrow pretty easily.

O. scyllarus the Peacock Mantis

Photo Link

Yea I've been doing a lot of research and I decided to get a peacock, I just gotta find where to get one now! Its freakin impossible!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got lucky when I found my mantis. I hit craigslist, and I was discussing picking up some live rock with a gentleman in Thornton, and Mantis Shrimp just so happened to come up in conversation. As it turns out, he'd picked up 5 on a long road trip in to the mountains. One thing lead to another, and I wound up tradeing him a Pavona frag and a little Acan head. I love my mantis, who is still recovering from what appears to be a rough molt incidentally.

We just got a new 34 Gallon Solana!!!! He seems to be digging the rock set up and we are seeing him a lot more. He is climbing/exploring all the time. He will climb to the top wrap around the top and hang upside down. We got him last July and out of the 3 tanks we have up he is me favorite saltwater animal by far.

Check out the link below and go to the last 2 pages to see the new tank and the Mantis. There are more pics somewhere in the middle of our build thread also.

Well, I got lucky when I found my mantis. I hit craigslist, and I was discussing picking up some live rock with a gentleman in Thornton, and Mantis Shrimp just so happened to come up in conversation. As it turns out, he'd picked up 5 on a long road trip in to the mountains. One thing lead to another, and I wound up tradeing him a Pavona frag and a little Acan head. I love my mantis, who is still recovering from what appears to be a rough molt incidentally.

You got any pics to post? :huh: