inTank Media Baskets

The Mantis Shrimp Guide Thread

travisurfer

captainbastard
I'll have to look more at it later, unless someone else wants to ID, but that is definitely not O. scyllarus.

What about a smithii?

captainbastard
Thank goodness I found this thread. Been wanting a mantis shrimp for some time now and nice to know other people like them too.

I found this really interesting talk/presentation on mantis shrimp and the forces they generate.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/sheila_...st_animals.html

Fasinating really!!

He just spent the weekend molting, pretty crazy stuff. He ate a bunch of hermit crabs then dissapeared, I thought he was dead cuz I didnt see him for a while. He still looks the same color and size, his "claws" or whatever got a couple purple spots on them now that are pretty bright.

travisurfer
He just spent the weekend molting, pretty crazy stuff. He ate a bunch of hermit crabs then dissapeared, I thought he was dead cuz I didnt see him for a while. He still looks the same color and size, his "claws" or whatever got a couple purple spots on them now that are pretty bright.

I can't think of any other mantids that have purple meral spots besides G. smitthi

does he look like this?

g_smithii1.jpg

purplefirefish

so i was in the LFS yesterday and someone brought in a mantis shrimp that he had killed out of his tank.

:(

i wanted to shin kick him.

travisurfer
so i was in the LFS yesterday and someone brought in a mantis shrimp that he had killed out of his tank.

:(

i wanted to shin kick him.

why would they even bring it in? :(

captainbastard
they wanted to know what it was

YES that looks just like him. I will have to go back and school them at the lfs! Also why would someone kill one of these? Thats just plain mean. He should have just brought it in LIVE so they could find a home for it

travissurfer...what's a good, current stomatopod forum? I've seen your user name pop up in a couple I visited, but none have any activity...

Just bought a G. tern that was mistakenly labeled a peacock mantis

Edited by stardrop
travisurfer
travissurfer...what's a good, current stomatopod forum? I've seen your user name pop up in a couple I visited, but none have any activity...

Just bought a G. tern that was mistakenly labeled a peacock mantis

returned your pm ;)

Essentially, this thread is one of the more active places for mantis conversation that I am aware of. When I get some more time in the next few weeks (after AP tests), I'll work this into a more comprehensive guide to help people better care for their mantids and to simply give more information to beginner mantis keepers.

Psychosis

Finally, after two years, I got my mantis. I believe it's N.Wennerae, I thought it was G.Chigara (sp?) at first due to its abnormal coloration. He steals table shrimp off of a chop stick and hoards it, a very intuitive little fellow. I couldn't be happier.

captainbastard
What type of 10gal are you guys using? Is it the standard 10g fish tank or an AIO?

10g acrylic. Dont think you wanna use glass or plastic

Psychosis

I'm keeping mine in my AIO reef. It's also acrylic. With smaller mantis, I don't really think it matters if it's glass or not. I don't have any pics at the moment, but he's made a very interesting burrow system. I ordered 15 blue legs before adding him (not for him, ironically it was an accident) so he's busy decimating the population. I know it was a stupid idea, but I even hand fed him. Don't try that at home, kids.

captainbastard
I'm keeping mine in my AIO reef. It's also acrylic. With smaller mantis, I don't really think it matters if it's glass or not. I don't have any pics at the moment, but he's made a very interesting burrow system. I ordered 15 blue legs before adding him (not for him, ironically it was an accident) so he's busy decimating the population. I know it was a stupid idea, but I even hand fed him. Don't try that at home, kids.

Cool, i didnt know they made acrylic AIOs. I might have to look into that, what brand is it? Yea the smaller mantis probably couldnt get through glass but I rent my place so I cant take that chance with my smithii. Mine loves the blue leg hermits, but I have seen him go at a snail on occasion. I also put two larger emerald crabs but he hasnt touched those yet.

travisurfer

Technically, acrylic holds up better to potential mantis attacks but I wouldn't worry about the mantis breaking the tank at all. There are a few legitimate stories of large, powerful mantids in small tanks(5g or less) that were able to break the glass, but I wouldn't worry at all about a smithii, wennerae, or similar in a 10g AGA due to their lack of power and thicker glass in comparison to 5g and 2.5g AGAs. Good luck with your mantids and whatever you decide to keep them in.

travisurfer
I keep my peacock in a 12 nano ,,with lots of rubble and 1 1/2 pvc tunnel system,mantisnonoo011.jpg<Link>

That mantis will get too big for a 12g. I would pay close attention to water quality and cross my fingers that (s)he doesn't do anything drastic.

seahorsedreams

I lost my ciliata to an unsuccessful molt. Knew this molt was going to be "special" because he absolutely tore up the tank like he's never done before. He moved every bit of sand around.... not a good thing for an established old tank. In one corner he had the sand up over 10". I traditionally do not disturb the tank while he's molting, but the activity cause a burp in the system and I had to change water water. Sosad... he was a great guy.

mantis.jpg

Edited by seahorsedreams