Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Mantis Shrimp Guide Thread

travisurfer

Thunder Goose

I heard a suggestion for catching them IF you know what rock they live in and can pull it from the tank you can immerse it in carbonated water/ club soda. Apparently they will shoot out of the rock and you can scoop them up and sump them. 

Mine lives in a very large cluster of well glued rock that really can't be removed. Thankfully she hasn't gone after anything but the CUC.

Are you 100% sure its a mantis?  Have you seen him?  Getting him out is fairly easy if you can remove the rock he's hiding in.  Not killing him is another story.  Most people just blast its hole in the rock with a solution inverts don't like, such as hydrogen peroxide over a bucket or something until it shoots out, or use super high or low temp water.  

4 hours ago, Thunder Goose said:

I heard a suggestion for catching them IF you know what rock they live in and can pull it from the tank you can immerse it in carbonated water/ club soda. Apparently they will shoot out of the rock and you can scoop them up and sump them. 

Mine lives in a very large cluster of well glued rock that really can't be removed. Thankfully she hasn't gone after anything but the CUC.

ok, i can do that. i  know which rock hes in.

1 hour ago, mndfreeze said:

Are you 100% sure its a mantis?  Have you seen him?  Getting him out is fairly easy if you can remove the rock he's hiding in.  Not killing him is another story.  Most people just blast its hole in the rock with a solution inverts don't like, such as hydrogen peroxide over a bucket or something until it shoots out, or use super high or low temp water.  

yep. 100% its a mantis. i see him all the time. hes got the distinctive kidney shaped eyes, spiky telson (tail) and head-flap thingies.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Considering how intriguing the mantis shrimp is, it is being considered to add it to an aquarium collection. It would have its own compartment and appropriate care. The question I have is whether or not it would be possible to train or work with the shrimp to be able to take it out as an ambassador animal. It would be for presentation use, not touching. But, it would need to be able to be removed from enclosure and transport containers more often, and be able to withstand being in a more stressful situation without destroying its containers. We use acrylic for presentation, but use a sealed plastic inside of a cooler for pack up if being taken out of the aquarium. Do you think it could be used in this way?

• 1 month later...

I'm currently preparing for a 10g Wennerae mantis build that I'm hoping to setup in about a month or so. Going to get rock, sand, and the mantis directly from TBS. Anybody got any full tank shots of their mantis tanks? I'm looking for a little inspiration for how I want to go about it. I'm thinking something with a nice mangrove in a 2"-3" sandbed with the rocks piled on the side for it to burrow and decorate as it sees fit.