SaltCritters.com

The Mantis Shrimp Guide Thread

travisurfer

xxShaddowxx

Man my mantis is just going to town on my nassarius snails haha. She loves them. She finally came all the way out of her tube today. Woke up to find her wedged between it and the large rock in my tank. Unfortunately there wasn't a good angle for pictures. HOWEVER....

She is so gorgeous :3

Edit: Apparently my boyfriend has named her Mandy the Mantis O.o

post-78992-0-28024900-1365887081_thumb.jpg

post-78992-0-84690100-1365887087_thumb.jpg

NirvanaandTool

I've ordered from kp aquatics before, they're a great company. My last mantis came from them, she was a o. Havanensis

How do you like your O. havanensis? They were always one of the species I've really wanted to keep cause they are like a miniature version of O. scyllarus. How much light do you have over its tank? Wondering how much they can tolerate.

fretfreak13

How do you like your O. havanensis? They were always one of the species I've really wanted to keep cause they are like a miniature version of O. scyllarus. How much light do you have over its tank? Wondering how much they can tolerate.

Sadly I didn't have her for very long. I honestly don't attribute it to my husbandry or the company because she was shipped very well. When I got her she was very laid back and she was enormous for her species! Almost four inches long!!! I really think I just got unlucky and got a really old one. She died quietly and peacefully one morning. I tested my water with API, Salifert, and Red Sea kits just to make sure and NOTHING was off. Even for the two weeks that I had her, I really did fall in love. Her name was Moonbug.

I had her under the Innovative Marine 8w Skyye, but I don't think I had her long enough to know if this made a difference in her quality of life. I wish I could offer you more helpful information, I'm sorry. Currently I have a N.oderestii who was a rescued hitch hiker.

NirvanaandTool

Sadly I didn't have her for very long. I honestly don't attribute it to my husbandry or the company because she was shipped very well. When I got her she was very laid back and she was enormous for her species! Almost four inches long!!! I really think I just got unlucky and got a really old one. She died quietly and peacefully one morning. I tested my water with API, Salifert, and Red Sea kits just to make sure and NOTHING was off. Even for the two weeks that I had her, I really did fall in love. Her name was Moonbug.

I had her under the Innovative Marine 8w Skyye, but I don't think I had her long enough to know if this made a difference in her quality of life. I wish I could offer you more helpful information, I'm sorry. Currently I have a N.oderestii who was a rescued hitch hiker.

Ah that's a shame. But it sounds like she was an awesome mantis. Sorry to hear about the loss though.

I doubt an 8W LED light did her in. It would take longer for shell rot to hit and effect her via a molt I think. I think you are right with old age.

Thanks for the help and if I end up getting one (or any mantis) I'll post it here. Its been a year or so since I've had a mantis so I'm due for one.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I'm currently planning to build a 7.5 gallon rimless cube for a Mantis, and I'm looking for recommendations. For species, I was looking at either G. Smithii or N. Wennerae. I will have approx. 1 inch sand bed with "special grade" aragonite (1-2mm grains). There will be ~6-8lb of Reef Saver rock from BRS cycled with pure ammonia. The light will be a DIY 36W LED full spectrum. I'll be using a DIY mame overflow to connect to a 5.5 gallon sump with filter floss, a small pico skimmer, and plenty of extra space for macro if needed.

Would you recommend changing anything in this design? For the Canadians, does anybody have any experience acquiring specific species in Canada?

• 5 weeks later...

Thought I'd leave this here for you fellow mantis lovers. Tomorrow will mark the monthiversary of losing my G.graphurus, Greg, so the timing couldn't be much better. :)

(EDIT: Wrong video. That was embarrassing... :lol: )

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Update.

Even though Pennywise grabbed the Whelk, he did not eat him! The stupid thing is running around the tank this morning. Maybe the Whelk didn't taste good? Oh well, at least he has a roomate now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Dr.Brain Coral

i am going to be getting a wennerae but i dont know what i should do for a clean up crew. i was thinking dwar cerith snails and bristle worms. would thiss be fine?

i am going to be getting a wennerae but i dont know what i should do for a clean up crew. i was thinking dwar cerith snails and bristle worms. would thiss be fine?

He will probably eat the dwarfs but it may take awhile for him to find them all. Really depends on the mantis though as some are lazy and would rather you bring them food. I have 1 large turbo in with my smithii mantis and it is much too big for him to bother with.

I forgot about this thread.

I would like to contribute but my psuedosquilla ciliata is a real hermit. It doesn't even eat if it can still see me. :/

I just want to replace it with a havanensis.

My girl prefers hermits over snails but if and when she gets those cravings, nothing is off limits. Actually, I need to order some from reef cleaners to replace, thinned out cuc.

I forgot about this thread.

I would like to contribute but my psuedosquilla ciliata is a real hermit. It doesn't even eat if it can still see me. :/

I just want to replace it with a havanensis.

I believe spearers can be that way since they are more about ambush.

• 3 weeks later...
Dr.Brain Coral

Okay I asked this question on my own thread and still cant decide so im qsking here. okay is a ciliata mantis shrimp as active as a wennerae mantis shrimp? I have upgraded m tank size for the nano I am planning and it will be a 7.5.

Islandoftiki

Okay I asked this question on my own thread and still cant decide so im qsking here. okay is a ciliata mantis shrimp as active as a wennerae mantis shrimp? I have upgraded m tank size for the nano I am planning and it will be a 7.5.

P. Ciliata is quite active and needs a pretty good amount of room to roam. They are active foragers. I think a P. Ciliata would be happiest in a 20+ gallon tank.

okay and bristle worms wont bother the mantis when hes molting right?

I purposefully added extra bristle worms to my G. Ternatensis tank and never had any issue with them during a molt.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey all. So I have an extra ten gallon around and a bag of crushed coral so I thought maybe many is tank? Specifically a Gonodactylus smithii after looking at various species it seems to fit what I have.

NirvanaandTool

Hey all. So I have an extra ten gallon around and a bag of crushed coral so I thought maybe many is tank? Specifically a Gonodactylus smithii after looking at various species it seems to fit what I have.

Sounds like a great tank for a Smithii or Wennerae. I've been meaning to do the same with all the spare 10gs I have laying around.

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

Good deal nirvanaandtool,would sand be better or coral rubble work fine?

Coral rubble will trap a ton of detritus and turn the tank into a nitrate nightmare. Normal aragonite sand works very well.

That's kinda what I figured due.to.still having a bag of it haha but didn't know if they liked having it for their little fort building procedures lol. Maybe I'll just put little bits around the rock pile. I figured an aqua clear 30 filter hydor 240 to help move water and some low power led prob a submersible hidden led that I had in my ten gallon so I have some moonlight. Sound like a decent set up?