Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Mantis Shrimp Guide Thread

travisurfer

I've heard of G. affinis popping up in the aquarium trade from time to time. As far as tank sizes are concerned,many have kept N. wennerae in 5g nanos with success on this website.

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea. ;) Maybe a google search would turn up something?

See the first post for feeding and trapping info.

I can't say that the mantis will only reach 1" in length but odds are that it will grow larger.

N. wennerae have been kept in 5.5g nanos. They can be obtained for $50 shipped from tampabaysaltwater.com

srry now here is the real species name and info http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/cr...=h_glyptocercus

this mantis geats around 40mm which is 1.5in

yea i looked on that site no info? also is there any other sites ? or species ?

srry now here is the real species name and info http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/cr...=h_glyptocercus

this mantis geats around 40mm which is 1.5in

yea i looked on that site no info? also is there any other sites ? or species ?

That website is the most comprehensive species-specific guide I know of. You can browse through it to find other mantids that would also fit in a 5.5g although finding specific species of mantis for purchase can be quite difficult.

Hi all, I was thinking about getting a G. Smithii, what I was wondering was whether to get a female or male? Also what is the most common coloration for it? Any less seen colors?

Hi all, I was thinking about getting a G. Smithii, what I was wondering was whether to get a female or male? Also what is the most common coloration for it? Any less seen colors?

Sex doesn't really matter. G. smithii can be difficult to find in captivity. I'd be happy with whichever variant or sex that I could find. Good luck!

Okay thanks, because I have found 5 of them. 1 Female and 4 Males. The female is a whitish blue, a male is yellow/green/blue, another male is off blue, one male is blackish blue, and one is a dark blue.

Okay thanks, because I have found 5 of them. 1 Female and 4 Males. The female is a whitish blue, a male is yellow/green/blue, another male is off blue, one male is blackish blue, and one is a dark blue.

Wow, 5 is impressive. I would just pick whichever one is most appealing to you then. :happy:

Is that from stomatopod.com? If, so, I've seen them "in person", and they are very nice indeed. I'm getting my G. glabrous from them (till the tank is built and cycled, I've just been visiting him when I go in to pick up supplies). Can't wait! :happy:

Edited by KMG
Is that from stomatopod.com? If, so, I've seen them "in person", and they are very nice indeed. I'm getting my G. glabrous from them (till the tank is built and cycled, I've just been visiting him when I go in to pick up supplies). Can't wait! :happy:

You sir are correct. He has nice mantis' =)

Can G. Smithii be kept with fish successfully, i.e. if I feed him often enough? Also how often would often enough be?

As I said in the first post, it is basically hit or miss. Some individual mantids are more apt to go after fish than others of the same species. Basically, there are no guarantees. Mantis shrimp are advanced predators and should be treated as such. Give him a 1/4" cube of enriched shrimp/scallop/etc every few days in combination with plenty of small snails and hermits. Faster moving fish such as damsels are ideal because they are harder to catch than a clown goby or similar. Because there are no guarantees, I wouldn't want to buy very expensive fish that could end up as meals later on. For this reason, I usually prefer damsels in mantis tanks.

All three of mine (N. wennerae, G. chiragra, and S. rugosa) have been able to catch green chromis. It's not really a question of if they can catch them, it's a question of if they want to spend the energy. They can also wait until the lights are out, at this time most fish rest and are therefore easier to catch. All of the chromis I have tried have disappeared over night.

• 1 month later...

Hi there!

I have a young peacock named Ally, and thought I'd share a few pictures.

Wanting to play:

DSCF4062copy2.jpg

Peekaboo:

DSCF4090copy2.jpg

Mirror gazing:

DSCF4106copy2.jpg

Full tank:

DSCF4014copy2.jpg

She's about 3.5" now. She came from Billy at stomatopod.com. I've had her since May in this Oceanic 30-ish gallon cube tank with acrylic and beads of silicone on the bottom, 20 lbs of liverock, and 10 lbs of live rubble dumped behind the rockwork (this has been AWESOME for her). I run a tetra whisper HOB and a rio nano skimmer. Her tank is next to my bed and I couldn't be happier with her. She is the cutest. =)

• 2 weeks later...

what is the minimum tank size for a peacock mantis? would a biocube 14 or 29 work well for one? they are really cool critters and i'm definitely considering making a tank for one when i have the money.

what is the minimum tank size for a peacock mantis? would a biocube 14 or 29 work well for one? they are really cool critters and i'm definitely considering making a tank for one when i have the money.

The general consensus is that you will want about 30g and up for an O. scyllarus.