Top Shelf Aquatics

The Butchered Finnex

masterbuilder

masterbuilder
Do you find that by having the sand on your false wall it spawns more algea?

No...it make no diff in my tank. I have had very little algae grow on the background, even during the initial cycling.

I expected it to get covered in coraline quickly. Funny that it seems to have just the opposite effect. I think it may be that coraline grows faster on dark surfaces.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterbuilder

Quick and dirty FTS. Didnt even clean the side glass or move the magnet!

3_8_091.jpg

Things are moving along. Lost a colony of lime green zoas for some unknown reason. Never figured out what the problem was. Everything else is happy and growing as expected. My two Montipora Digita are growing especially fast and looking healthy.

Still have that red wire turf algae. Has been slow battle that seems to be at a stand off...spreading very slowly or not at all. Today, I began raising my MG using Kent Tech-M...will take it up to 1800-1900 over the next few days. It’s a shot in the dark at combating the red turf algae. I don’t expect it do much, but its fairly harmless and no reason not to try it. That’s about it.

Mark

masterbuilder

Weet,

Its similar to yours in overall look. Maybe not quite as blue, but close.

-Front to Back-

Blue+

Fiji Purple

GE5600

Blue+

Fiji Purple

I had an ATI Aquablue until a week ago, it would occasionaly flash or not start. The GE6500 was the only white lamp my LFS had as a replacement. Not wanting to order one bulb, I tried it out. Alone it is very bright white with hint of green/yellow, but when added to the mix...... decided I like it just as much as the Aquablue or better.

• 2 weeks later...
Needreefunds
looking really nice still... keep up the good work... always a pleasure seeing updates of this tank... :)

+1 A stunning tank for certain Mark.

Just beautiful. B)

masterbuilder

WOW...thanks Lalani. Now...if I could only learn to take a REAL photograph....like you.

The Kent MG treatment didnt do anything for the red macro algae. I didnt really expect it too, but thought ..what the heck...worth a try. About the only thing that happened was that my Acans seemed slightly pissed off and but the coraline liked it. Will keep working on it. Might add a handful of emerald crabs....oh...I hate the thought of that though.

Mark

WTF.... theives. Thats mine and GobyInPeace's tank.

Holy Cow, it is.

Should we send a posse after them?

How bout it guys, who's up for a bunch of friendly, interesting emails to the seller?

Holy Cow, it is.

Should we send a posse after them?

How bout it guys, who's up for a bunch of friendly, interesting emails to the seller?

I'm definitely down for that! They're down right stealing photos....

Just let me know when and I'll send away, lol...

:)

masterbuilder

I wrote the thief and said.... "if you had asked, I would have been happy to allow you to use the photo. But since you did not...take it down now you thief"

Mark

p.s. I also said I know you stole the photo of the other tank as well

You can always contact eBay and notify them that the seller is violating their TOS. That usually really screws them up because they'll freeze the account.

That's real revenge.

• 2 weeks later...
Paleoreef103

That's a stellar finnex. The rockwall is incredible and I'm glad you added a piece or two of SPS....

You can always contact eBay and notify them that the seller is violating their TOS. That usually really screws them up because they'll freeze the account.

That's real revenge.

i dislike ebay thieves....

anywayz

more pictures pls

SeeDemTails

Looks great!

I am going to start using a watermark on all my photos to prevent this from happening, as my tank will be a major display for my LFS's new site.

Paleoreef103
Still have that red wire turf algae. Has been slow battle that seems to be at a stand off...spreading very slowly or not at all. Today, I began raising my MG using Kent Tech-M...will take it up to 1800-1900 over the next few days. It’s a shot in the dark at combating the red turf algae. I don’t expect it do much, but its fairly harmless and no reason not to try it. That’s about it.

Mark

Is it a calcareous algae? If it is, then you'd have to raise the Mg pretty high to kill it. I read a few papers a while back that involved messing with Mg levels using a shaving brush algae. It just ended up stunting the growth of the algae up until the Mg would be toxic to just about everything else. Off the top of my head, the reference was Stanley and Reis 2006 in Journal of Paleontology, but I could have gotten the journal wrong. Could be that this algae reacts differently too.

masterbuilder

No…my problem macro algae is this stuff:

Gelidium

red_wire_algae.jpg

Here is a link done by John that has some useful info on this and other problem algae’s.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=186736

This stuff has become much more common in our tanks lately and is on lots of frags and live rock I see for sale. Do yourself a big favor and take the time to remove it before adding to your tank.

Raising my MG didn’t do much if anything. I took it from 1250-1300 to 1850 with Kent MG. However, I am ever so slowly winning the battle by making sure that I have as close to zero phosphates and nitrates as possible, as well as picking at it whenever I get inspired. Before too awful long I hope to have won. It just takes patience.

Anywho… no updates really…things are just growing out. Might add a blasto or two, just haven’t found any that are what I want…YET. Thinking of running a” blasto wanted” in the coral classified. Problem is...running out of room.

Mark

Hey MB, I know I've commented in the tank thread somewhere but thought it was worth saying again that this is probably one of my favorite tanks. Definately a beautiful build and I wish I had the skill to pull it off. Well done.

nothing like some craftmanship, i normally tanks with a bunch of zoos look boring, but this looks amazing i hope mine ends up looking as beautiful as your.

burtbollinger

once those montis grow out, this will be about the sickest tank ever.

makes me wanna ditch the 14000k and go t5 :)

Archived