Top Shelf Aquatics

The Butchered Finnex

masterbuilder

Looks sweet! Really good DIY stuff you got going on! I love the foam wall!!!!

Needs some SPS to go with all those other sweet corals!

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
One more pic after a little rearranging and closer to the actual way my lighting looks. I was going to add some SPS to the top portion of the tank, but have decided to fill it with some more LPS and Zoas....keeping with the theme. So...next week I plan on trying out some ORA Duncan’s and maybe a Zoa frag or two I have had my eye on.

t5-2.jpg

Looks awesome masterbuilder!!!

I'm still extremely jealous of this tank! :D

masterbuilder

My lamp selection is different than most. Works for me though.

frt:

ATI Aquablue

ATI Blue+

ATI Procolor

KZ Fiji Purple

ATI Blue+

Hi! First of all I would like to say I am in love with your tank and the stand is the most amazing!!

However I was wondering if you could maybe take a side shot of your tank. I am just curious to see how close everything is to the front. Some FTS can be so decieving. LOL

Again I love this tank!!

Thanks

Sarah

Hey thanks for the side pic! I knew there would be more room than what it looked like from the front. LOL Also thanks for the info on the pic sharing website. :) Keep up the great work with your tank and keep taking those pics. :)

masterbuilder

Phixion,

I have a foam/sand false wall but its only 1-2 inches thick, some of the rocks at the very top are built into the wall and stick out a couple of inches. The rest of the rocks are just stacked like everyone's. They are all interlocked and going no where. I tested them many times before adding water to make sure they wouldnt move.

Most foolish purchase - Purple Death Palys. I wanted some for the longest time and now that I got them....ehhhhh. IMO, they are way over priced and over hyped. My advice, save your money...they are nothing special.

I just saw these in person for the first time Saturday. I couldn't agree more. It's just a dull purple color. I don't get why anybody would pay big bucks for them. If they were offered as a freebie, I'd still pass...

Mine sucked when I got them but they are poppin nice and purple now. As a matter of fact just as purple as the tips of my ORA tri color acro.

More tank pics!!!!!

Ohh I still got stomatellas coming out of my stomatellas BTW and some nice SPS frags for a worthy tank!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey man...been quite a while since I've been around here and on your thread. Your tank has come such a long way in such a short period of time and is simply a stunner now. You really need to take some closeups of the individual colonies and frags that you have. Looks like you have some absolutely killer cans in there.

I am getting ready to setup a 20H since I'm going to be taking down the BC29. I will know shortly how you felt when you took down your 12g...mine has been running for 18+ months now.

Look forward to seeing more pictures in the future.

masterbuilder

Yeah....thanks. I am about to take a few new pics.

Whats gone on lately:

I removed a few rocks two days ago ...for two reasons. One, my aquascape looked like a rock wall in front of a rock wall, very one dimensional. Two, I made a place for a clam I hope Santa will bring me.

Have added a couple of very small Acan frags, a couple of ORA Duncans, and a Green Monti Digita and a tiny Orange Monti Digita.

Other change, I replaced my ATI Procolor bulb with a UVL Aquasun to increase the PAR for the Monti's. The Aquasun bulb still has a pink/red look, just not as much as the Procolor. It still has the same effect as the Procolor of bringing out the reds in my corals, just not quite as much. However, was surprised how there was not a great change in the overall light color.... slightly less red and almost pure white with just ever so slight a blue tint. If I had to assign a color temp, I would say 12-13K and very bright.

Generally all is going well. My only problem is with some sort of red macro algae that’s invading some of my zoas, killed one tiny frag. It’s the same dark red, wiry, and very stiff macro algae that several others have had lately. It’s almost impossible to pluck out by hand; it’s really tough and holds on like nobody’s business. After much research, seems about the only thing that will eat it is emeralds or spinney urchins. Got 3 emerald crabs in hopes they will munch on it....so far they are picking at it and I am removing some when ever I feel like it. I think between me and the emeralds I will slowly win the battle.

Will let my new slightly rescape mature a little and will post up some pics.

masterbuilder

I experimented and bought a Green Monti Digita that was at a "give away" price from my LFS. It has grown some and seems to be doing well...so... I figured these could do fine in my tank. Other than the "one dimensional" look I talked about in my last post, I wanted a place for a clam in the center and a couple of spots for a few more frags of different colored Monti Digita. So, I rescaped slightly, removing a few rocks. I think it looks better, not crazy about my scape…but…it is what it is. Going to leave it and learn to like it.

One of my Emerald crabs molted the other day...damn..it must have been about to explode in its old shell, it seemed to have doubled in size since the molt. I worry about Emeralds when they get big like that and plan to keep a very close eye on his behavior. I have a feeling he is about to take a ride back to the LFS. Everything is on cruise control other than my battle with the invasive macro I am slowly eliminating.

That’s it for now....I asked Mrs. Santa for a Clam....will post it up if I was a good boy.

12_12_08.jpg

Acan_12_12_08.jpg

The Acan at the top is ONE of my favorites. The other at the bottom was just one head when I got it, now it has nine little babies circling it.

Mark

Wow MasterBuilder, I really love the way you made your tank! The stand is phenomenal, as is your foam rockwall. Did you use any live rock at all, or is it all foam?

masterbuilder
Did you use any live rock at all, or is it all foam?

I took rock rubble, laid it on eggcrate and shot great stuff foam between the rocks, dremeled off most of the foam, painted the foam with epoxy, sprinkled with sand while wet. I would guess its about 50/50 foam and rock.

masterbuilder

If I were to do it again, instead of sand, I would smash up some rocks into very small bits, sprinkle it on the foam, dust and all. I have seen one using ground up rock and it looks more natural than sand....more variety in size than sand.

If I were to do it again, instead of sand, I would smash up some rocks into very small bits, sprinkle it on the foam, dust and all. I have seen one using ground up rock and it looks more natural than sand....more variety in size than sand.

That sounds like a great idea. Is there anything special you did to secure the foam and keep it from floating up?

masterbuilder

Its actually very heavy and doesnt float. I did add a lip along the top of the false wall to prevent it from floating. Turns out I didnt need to do that.

Archived