Coral Vue Hydros

The Butchered Finnex

masterbuilder

Yea i have my setup on here somehwere as well but i broke it down for the summer.... i do have it waiting to be setup again though ;)

i use to have this setup:

Finex 30 M

Deltec MCE600

2X6055s with multicontroller

Aquactinics TX5 1 ATI Pro color, 1 ATI Blue +, UVL super actinic, UVL Day lightX2.

finex Ti heater

I kept high end SPS, as well as Pipefish, kept 2 bluestripes(pair) successfully until i broke the tank down and got rid of all my SPS :( MCE600, and Tunze package :(

I still have the tank light and a Tunze9002 so i just need to fig out what to do about flow and i like the way you set yours up!! I think it would work great with some type SQWD setup or better yet with an Oceans Motions and just setup the outputs under the sand so drill the bottom of the false wall on left and right and put 2 outputs down there up to the front and facing towards the rockwork then put 2 at the top facing the front panel. Do i make any sense? hahah

I think i am going to do just that :) you have motivated me!!! lol if you would liek to see my old setup it is in the Finnex owners thread somewhere i would have to look it up.

Anyways great setup once again and i will have to take a look at that fixture from finnex only thing is the reflectors dont really look liek they are individuals they look more like the teklight where it is 1 refelctor that is bent to individually house 1 bulb. Maybe it works the same though i dont know lol.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterbuilder

I remember that tank now! Was wonderful... I will find the thread and check it out. Interesting lamp set up.... I have a pro color, uvl super actinic, and one of their daylights. I am still fooling around with my lamp colors...close to what I want, but not there yet.

Right now

front

ATI Aquablue Special

ATI Blue Plus

UVL 75/25

KZ Coral Light II

ATI Blue Plus

Tell me more about your lamp selection and how you liked to color or what woulf you have changed about the lamps..if anything

Yea see right now i am in a dlilema although i want to set the finnex back up i also want to just build my own tank(24X24X12 with weir overflow box) but then again i really really like your finnex and i just finished looking at my old thread and miss it! haha.

My bulb setup was what i thought was best form the bulbs i played with.... i kept getting either too blue or too yellow so with the pro color i ended up sticking my actinics at the ends with the pro color in the middle( to offset the pink) and then stuck the uvl day light(10k) and a blue special in the other slot(11k? ) so it was configured like so...

front - back

UVL Super Actinic(purple)

UVL Sun(10k)

ATI Pro Color

ATI Blue special(11k or so...)

ATI Blue+ (actinic)

this way i did not notice too much pink and it was not soo blue bc the day lights, as well as the pro color offset it, and it was not too pink either :)

HTH.

masterbuilder

Think I will try that combo... I only need one lamp to do that. Right now it looks just slightly blue to me..not as crisp as I like ...YET

I actually think it looks great :)

but good luck.... :)

edit: hey i probably missed this but how did you get the wall to stay latched on to the false wall??

masterbuilder

Along the top of the false wall I added a lip, the rock/foam wall is wedged under that. I added 4 zip-ties to hold it tight up against the false wall. After it was wedged in, I just ran a small drill bit through the rock wall and false wall and used the smallest zip-ties I had.

The weight of the live rock is all that is really needed to push it up againt the wall though....the zips were more to make me happy than necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Forgot to add:

Most foolish purchase - Purple Death Palys. I wanted some for the longest time and now that I got them....ehhhhh. IMO, they are way over priced and over hyped. My advice, save your money...they are nothing special.

Now, Nuclear Green Palys...I really like them and mine have grown from 3 polyps to 20 in 4 months. The more light you give them the nicer they look and faster they grow.

there are alot of tanks on here lately that I havent seen before that are just beautiful! great job on the build, and my lord those are some awesome acans!

Reefdan,

One page one there is a drawing on how my pumps are configured. Basically, 3 - MJ900's in seperate chambers....the only change is I have the returns going over the top of the false wall instead of through with bulkheads it as shown in the drawings. They were less visible that way. So far it seems to be about the max flow my acans and blastos can handle.

Reefdan,

One page one there is a drawing on how my pumps are configured. Basically, 3 - MJ900's in seperate chambers....the only change is I have the returns going over the top of the false wall instead of through with bulkheads it as shown in the drawings. They were less visible that way. So far it seems to be about the max flow my acans and blastos can handle.

that's what i figured. thanks.

how do you keep your corals looking like that without any water flow behind the rocks? do you ever siphon out detrius?

BTW, i agree w/ your wife: the lighting fixture looks fine as is. not to disrespect your craftmanship but i think you'd run a big risk of having it look tacky if you try to mod

Yor right about the light Dan. I came to the same conclusion, came to my senses or both. As far was flow behind the rocks. I flush out any trapped detrius every week with my water changes. I dont worry about it very much. I have done this almost identical setup in my last tanks and even after years I was still in good shape. I dont know why it works for me and others have problems. Might be because I stock very lightly and feed very little. I love any suggestions, sometimes I miss the obvious without it being pointed out.

• 2 weeks later...
masterbuilder

Not much new to report. Moved some frags around to make room for some sticks on top (SPS). Hope to add those in a few weeks or so. So...with most of it done, its time to just enjoy it and watch it fill in.

10_11_08.jpg

Thanks to everyone here that let me steal their ideas,

Mark

Archived