Top Shelf Aquatics

anemone

thomas975

Can a sea anemone move around and get stuck between some rocks then die? I mean will getting stuck kill it cause it doesnt like where its at? I have this Long Tentacle Sea Anemone and its in between some rocks and it looks like it might be trying to get out. But it cant.

If you think it is that unhappy, help it out...I'm sure it wouldn't take much to free up enough space to let it move.  Just make sure that you don't pollute your tank while you're trying to help it.  Hopefully the rock is big enough just to lift it up and sit it back down.

yeah, I agree with Mattdog, but if you have to take him from the rock be careful not to "pull" him off as you may damage his foot.  If you go from under and kind of "tickle" his foot loose...its better for him.  

16yearoldreefer

I agree with Jay, I also have a Long Tenacle Anenome, and he wasn't doing very well (I think it was that he/she was too close to the lights) So i decided to move him, but i found out that he moved from the small rock that he had came with, to the big rock my tank just has 1 big peice of live rock) SO i had to take desperate measures. I researched how to move an anenome, although most books and sites advised not to do it, they did say that it is possible.

And alot of the books i read said to kinda move in from under him/her, which should make it loosen up

I have a condalactus anamone and it got pinched in between one rock and the front glass  on my tank instead of helping it by scooting the rock from the glass I decided to watch and see what it would do.  After about a week it finally made it to the other side of the pinch and it was fine and has been there ever since.  Now, I grant that a condalactus is a very durable species but the "pinch" it went through was honestly probably 1/3" wide I know it might sound  "mean" just to sit back and find out how else are you going to find out? LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Anemones are tricky lill devils. They will move to where food, current, light and shelter are at their best suited area and will setle there. SOME corals also need this type of adjustment, but is more up to you to help them as they are stationary. The aenome will move its self. No worries mate. they can shrink and contort to amazing shapes. I have had a HUGE carpet  move through a 1.2 inch hole to another section of my tank just to sting a competor. I moved it back, it moved again... Finaly I had to remove the mushrooms and all was fine till the Carpet decided it liked sticking on the front glass best, and had stayed there for 6 weeks untill I sold it to a buddy. It was happy and expanded huge, but is a tad annoying to look at.... but EH its happy. :;):

Archived