Top Shelf Aquatics

Feedings - How Often?

Signmom99

Ok, now that I have got the hang of maintaining the tank/water perameters I am in need a some advice on feeding my corals.  The button polyp I enjoy spot feeding brine and mysiss etc.  But I do not know how often to feed these corals.  And that brain like thing, have no clue how or what to feed it.  I understand the polyp does not require any external feedings from me, but surely it will benefit somehow from it.

Any comments or suggestions?  Also, my star polyp still is not opening more than 50% at best.  I asked one of my lfs' about it and he told me that sometimes algae starts to grow on them prohibiting them from opening completely and that I should take an algae scrubber and lightly 'scrub' the pod things.  Won't this hurt my polyp?  

Any advice or suggestions is always appreciated.  Thanks

Firstly, you shouldn't have to feed your corals that often as long as you moderately add trace elements every now and then(when you do your water changes).  I usually only feed my corals once a month, which seems to be plenty cause they are growing and propagating pretty fast.  

Secondly, if your star polyps aren't opening fully try moving them around.  Usually they like moderate to high water movement and medium to high lighting.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

The star polyps are touchy... I had some do crappy in a reef, moved them to a Halide  tank, and they were awesome. you shouldnt have to feed so much. Try using a better grade of salt like Tropic Marin or Geo Marine. They will provide a better formulation for softies IMO. I have had Great luck with them.

Thanks for the ideas.  I have been offline for a while since my computer decided to crap out.  Have since bought a new one (great to upgrade!) but since I have been on my own (without nano-reef) I have done some experimenting.  My star polyp I did not 'scrub' as suggested but happened to move it up in the tank lightly and into the current.  LFS says no current, but it is doing much, much better.  Opening and seems healthy.  Still not fully opened, but probably about 70%.  Also moved green button polyps from bottom of tank up to near the top as they were turning dark brown with the edges of their buttons sagging down.  Seems to be doing a little better now.  

Have what seems to be a sage green colored debris on the sand.  If I should not vacuum when doing a water change is their a species of clean up crew that will consume this?  

Getting ready to move into a 29g soon as another post on Gen Dis. answers some questions.  Want to move this tank but the more I think, I think I will just have to have 2 tanks!!!!!

If the green debris looks like a thin dark green sheet, it's slime algae.  You can just pull it out by hand; it should come out in large pieces.  If it's a soft green just coating a few sand grains, it's a normal part of a newer tank.  If you have live sand, the critters should take care of it.  Nassarius snails are good for dealing with sandbed detritus.  HTH

Archived