Coral Vue Hydros

blastomussa corals

Korbin

I saw a super bright green blastomussa coral in my LFS, but the guys who worked there said it was rare and they weren't selling it.  I looked it up online and everything I read says its moderately easy to take care of, and it doesn't seem TOO expensive.  I'm just wondering if anyone has one of these.  What's the low-down on the blastomussa?

I don't know if this will be of any help.  But see my previous pose Help on Coral ID (it's just a few topics down).  I put a picture of a 'hitchiker' coral that came on my star polyps.  It is possible this is a blastomussa as suggested by one of the replies, maybe a brain.  But anyway, this guy is growing like crazy!  The only food he gets is the lighting plus any filter feeding he does.  There are no tentacles or anything like that.  Really is a nice looking crustacean type coral.  It is green in the valleys and purple'ish' on the raised sections

Sad thing is that I have never seen one in any LFS.  Well, obviously I did cause it came with my star polyps.  I don't buy anything online.  Just look in the tanks.  This one LFS I go to is different from all the rest. He has actual tanks that he keeps his corals in.  They are not sitting on racks or anthing.  So, if you can find a LFS like that a lot of times there are hitchikers on the main coral rocks.  Especially if the rocks are big.

Good luck!

I had a very small Blastomussa frag from my LFS; I tried moving all around and found it to be happiest low in the aquarium and if possible even a little shaded.  They don't seem to need to eat and are relatively indifferent to water movement as long as they aren't blasted.  Unfortunately, a crab knocked my little frag down behind a couple of bottom rocks of my reef and I refused to knock down my reef to find it.  Hopefully, it is doing well down there and maybe someday I'll see it again.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

i just bought one today...i hopefully will get it to thrive in my tank as they are a great coral from what i hear. the store i bought mine at had about 7-10 different colors of them...some all purple some red and green and some mostly green...i got the one that had green centers with red around the edges....i hope it takes off and spreads.

Archived