Innovative Marine Aquariums

badbreads Biocube 14 softie type reef

badbread

I'll start with a couple full tank shots so you can decide

if you want to waste your time reading the rest of this:

fts.JPG

lowfts.JPG

It's about time I made one of these so lets start from the top.

Tank setup on 03/29/08:

• Oceanic BioCube 14

bio-cube.jpg

• Setup with 40lbs. live sand, ~25 lbs. live rock, tap water to start (f'ing noob I am, only RO/DI now)

Equipment:

• Sunpod 150W MH

• 18W PC light for fuge

• Wiring nightmare... :scarry:

topfts.JPG

• Iceprobe chiller w/controller module

chiller.JPG

• Modified biocube skimmer w/upgraded air pump, DIY HERE

skimmod.JPG

• Maxijet 900 for return line w/hydorflo

• 3 Korallia Nano's

Hydor_KoraliaNano-03.jpg

R.A.I.T w/cheap digi coralife, cheap alcohol therm, stick on glass therm, pinpoint therm

• 50W Stealth heater

• 150W Stealth heater

JBJ ATO (returned because defective)

• Tunze ATO on the way

Mods:

• False floor removed in chamber 1 & 2 (C1 & C2),

• Bioballs removed, cheato and 2 rubble pieces of live rock (for the little critters to hang on to) in chamber 2

• Overflow between chamber 1 & 2 widened

• Hood removed for Sunpod

• Modified C2 grate (yes thats a BIC pen cap) explained here

traymod.JPG

• Paint scrapped off behind C2 w/18W cheap PC light for cheato (on reverse timer from main lights)

Livestock:

• Bernard the cleaner shrimp (shy at the moment, well not really but no pic so a shy girl in a bikini will have to do for now)

• Rosevelt the bicolor blenny

• Rosalita the true percula

fish.JPG

rosevelt.JPG

• Many inverts including Astrea, blue and red hermits, nassarius, stomatella, mini brittles, the usual suspects basically

Corals:

• 2 patches of GSP

• Frilly, red, red w/blue spot, purple, bright green, red w/green frilly mushrooms, big brown/white yuma's, more

greenshroom.JPG

yuma.JPG

• Candy cane

candycane.JPG

• Random zoanthids

zoa.JPG

• Colt coral

colt.JPG

• Montipora

monti.JPG

• Favia

favia.JPG

Upkeep:

• Usually weekly to bi-weekly water changes, about 2.5-4 gallons depending on 'trates

• Frozen mysis 4-5 times a week

• Spectrum pellets 3 times a week

• Daily top-off of about 20-26 ounces

• Turkey basting every other day or so

• Filter pads changed when they turn brown (2-3 days)

• Powerhead, heater, skimmer cleaned during water change

• 2 of 3 sides of glass cleaned regurlarly with magnet cleaner, right glass never cleaned (want to see what grows on it)

Another current FTS, I need to keep my hands out of there for a while:

lowfts2.JPG

That's all for now, pretty basic stuff, hope you enjoyed. Feedback very welcome, let me know what you think.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is an amazing looking tank. Im very impressed. I really like how the monti cap is in the center

Wow, thanks!!!!

Plan with the monti is to let it grow out so it provides some shade for the Yuma.

:)

Thanks!!!

BKtomodachi

Hey that looks great. You're on your way to having some very mature colonies, and you've got great coralline growth. :)

That's a great looking tank for three months old. Did you start with larger corals from another tank or did those all grow in there? (Or did you buy them that big?)

(I like the RAIT :D )

-hank

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up on my JBJ ATO, sending it back tomorrow and getting a Tunze Osmolator instead. Near disaster over the 4th of July weekend, pumps running dry, water shot all over the place but no deaths so thank god for that. Updated pictures coming when the Tunze comes in.

The monti is changing color, almost looks like its bleaching, not sure, only time will tell.

Update, so ever since the 4th of July weekend the JBJ ATO failure my Yuma has been getting worse. I hope it turns around.. I fragged the rock it was on and seperated a couple heads to experiment with light/flow, etc..

Some Zoa's that survived my whole ordeal are getting better by the day I think. Hope to have some new pictures up tonight. Still waiting on the Tunze ATO to come, marinedepot f'd up and sent my order to the wrong address...

Monti is starting to get its color back only it's coming in darker and more luminescent. I have a few dark pink/orange glowing spots on it that really glow under the blue led lights, I'm assuming that's a good thing?

Frilly mushrooms have almost fully recovered from their cranky time way back here:

Help! Am I incapable of keeping shrooms?

I moved them to the top of the tank almost directly under the MH's and put them behind the monti so they got a lot more flow. They are happy, plump, and luminescent again!!

Thanks!

Some pictures I took last night:

Frag from ScottD

IMG_4586.jpg

Frag from ScottD

IMG_4588.jpg

Frag from ScottD

IMG_4589.jpg

Candy cane's love getting fed, look at all the splits!!

IMG_4626.jpg

Favia macro shot attempt

IMG_4630.jpg

Another frag from ScottD

IMG_4638.jpg

bernard doing what he does best, p!ssing off my corals

IMG_4650.jpg

Macro attempt

IMG_4651.jpg

Wolfgang Studius chilling in the GSP

IMG_4655.jpg

Nice tank, Your monti cap looks awesome.

Thanks, my LFS has 3 just like that one on these dome frag plugs.

I got my Tunze ATO last night, took me a while to hook it up but wow is this thing cool. I will post pics up in here tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some goodies in from vividaquariums.com and got my friends SLR to take some pics!!!

FTS

canfts1.jpg

FTS

canfts2.jpg

FTS

canfts3.jpg

My frilly top, GSP and frilly shrooms

frilltop.jpg

Mid monti area/garden

midmonti.jpg

Purple rim green monti up top, green apple monti bottom

monti.jpg

Same as above

monti2.jpg

Close up of the HUGE pink paly's

pinkzoaclose.jpg

Top left pointing toward right corner of tank

rightcorner.jpg

Tub's blue zoa's from vivid

tubblue.jpg

Atomic green or something from vivid

vividgreen.jpg

The Zoa garden

zoagarden.jpg

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!!!!

Nice aquascape and corals, but where's the girls in bikini's? I've got them in my thread and I don't even advertise! :D

Some attempts at night shots w/ 30 second or so exposure time and a new current FTS:

IMG_5994.jpg

IMG_5945.jpg

IMG_5946.jpg

IMG_5947.jpg

IMG_5948.jpg

These shots are just with the moonlights on, 20-30 second exposure.

IMG_5949.jpg

IMG_5950.jpg

IMG_5951.jpg

IMG_5953.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

IMG_5955.jpg

IMG_5956.jpg

IMG_5957.jpg

IMG_5958.jpg

IMG_5993.jpg

These shots are amazing!! I know you have a sunpod, but do you supplement with actinics?

Just tagging along here... Curious to know: How does one go about supplementing the Sunpod with actinics?

(This is NOT a hijack.. is it?) :huh:

Just tagging along here... Curious to know: How does one go about supplementing the Sunpod with actinics?

(This is NOT a hijack.. is it?) :huh:

Lol, the pictures are deceiving. I took those night shots with just the Sunpod moon lights on. 30 second exposure in a pitch black room with a tripod. I was trying to capture the colors like I see them. You can see some of the zoo's moved during the 30 seconds hence the blurring a little bit. I to am looking for a way to supplement acitinics on my BC but there just isn't any extra room.

Isn't there a way to just add an extra small ballast with an actinic bulb? I thought you could. Anyway, the night pics are superb!

Archived