Innovative Marine Aquariums

UNOFFICIAL SUN CORAL/DENDRO/RHYZO THREAD

abe

Hey All! I just got an e-mail from BlueZoo Aquatics on some of their specials and updates on their Collectors' Choice corals. This dendro really caught my eye, I've never seen one this color before...... Beautiful!

dendroxud.jpg

And for all you of Sun Coral lovers, check out this link. They have some incredible looking color varieties!

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productlist...=11&cid=329

Edited by basser1
NanoReefNovice
Hey All! I just got an e-mail from BlueZoo Aquatics on some of their specials and updates on their Collectors' Choice corals. This dendro really caught my eye, I've never seen one this color before...... Beautiful!

dendroxud.jpg

And for all you of Sun Coral lovers, check out this link. They have some incredible looking color varieties!

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productlist...=11&cid=329

would love to see some of those open. :happy:

• 6 months later...

Just doing a general Google search on Sun Corals (looking for info on a red one) and this thread came up, so I thought I'd bump it back to the top with a pic of mine.

Standard 1/2 of a 2L coke bottle is enough to keep the shrimp at bay.

SunCoral.jpg

Thank you. That pic was taken after the colony had been in the tank less than 10min after 3 hours in a cooler in my truck. I'm trying to train it to be open during the day. Glad I'm running a big skimmer and RDSB to keep the nitrates in check, takes a lot of cyclopeeze to get this thing to open in the afternoon.

Unfortunately I haven't seen the black sun coral produce any babies the way the orange does, but it does grow and encrust at the base.

Wombat...... Is your pic a black sun coral? I've not seen one with the polyps out like that, Beautiful!! ;)

Heeere!

DSC03049.jpg

DSC03089.jpg

DSC03051.jpg

I was able to get a good deal on the top ones, somebody didn't have the time to feed them any more and they were receding. Both colonies have much better polyp extension now.

Wombat...... Is your pic a black sun coral? I've not seen one with the polyps out like that, Beautiful!! ;)

Yes, it's Tubastrea micrantha. The base is almost always jet black, and the polyps can be black, brown, or (as in that photo), green. I have a few black polyp ones that do well too, but they don't photgraph quite as well.

demonclownfish

here is my little beauty i got for $15 :)

20030101_15.jpg

20030101_16.jpg

i get much better extension like 3x this is an old picture. but they are so awesome and i got them so cheap :)

Edited by demonclownfish
^^ Nice pick-up!! ^^

Beautiful rhizo! I've always wanted one, but they are mucho bucks!

Thanks! It's pretty sticky and huge too. When open like that, it is almost 6-7 inches in length. The only problem keeping one in a small tank is that you can't put anything near the rhizo that it can sting.