Pod Your Reef

UNOFFICIAL SUN CORAL/DENDRO/RHYZO THREAD

abe

Just bought my first little colony of sun coral, about 20 heads for $5.00! I spotted it in a discount tank and had to have it, I've wanted one ever since I started and it was the perfect size for my tank. I am still coaxing it out, it emerged a little after i fed the tank the first night I put it in. I mashed up some flakes and thawed Cyclops, put it in a syringe and dropped it right on top. I will try using some mysis water to coax it open first now and see how that goes. Will try to post a picture soon. : )

Does anybody have pure yellow (no orange), lemon yellow sun corals, branching and not? Any information about what they are?

Another question: who has adult peppermint shrimps with tubastrea, did they try to tear tentacles off at night? I was looking for aiptasia control, and found that they may mix tubastrea with aiptasia and harass it to decline. Just curious.

Old thread, but why not.

I have all yellow (no orange or any other colour) suncorals. Non branching. No idea as to species id.

suncoral1.jpg

I also have peppermints with suncorals and dendrophylla. As far as I can tell, they do not predate the tentacles, rather they attempt to steal food from them, but generally avoid the tentacles.

I haven't gone over the whole thread, but both of the dendro and sun coral are in relative high flow areas - this produces the best extension, and they are always very full and extended when they're out. Dendro is out most of the day, sun corals usually after lights out.

Edited by nematoad
  • 3 months later...
I have about 6 of these growing on a couple pieces of LR. Is this Rhyzo?

post-41452-1234557662_thumb.jpg

HELLO...HELLo...HELlo...HEllo...Hello...hello.

Ahhh..hell, someone please take a look and respond.

I have recently heard tale of someone in my area who had the balls to frag a rhyzo, and the frags are making it! Hopefully the technique gets passed on and rhyzos become more affordable soon.

Mkregs, if I was a betting man...and I am, I would say those are not rhyzos (would be the find of the century if they were) maybe aiptasia. Depends on where your live rock comes from, Rhizotrochus typus is found near Japan, so they might have hitched a ride if you got your rock from the indo-pacific region near Japan

Could be another type of dendroid of some kind

non-photosynt

mkregs:

Sorry for not responding soon, e-mail notification comes irregularly for some reason.

Check the web for Devonshire cup coral or Caryophyllia smithii and compare to yours, this name was given to me on another forum.

If it still has dots on the ends, but have no hard skeleton, as LPS should have, then check for Corynactis or Pseudocorynactis, relatives of mushrooms.

joel sandoman:

If you wish or have time, you may try to experiment with your Dendrophyllia, feed it every day or so.

For a common sun coral it increased budding, could work for Dendrophyllia too. Meaty food, not like Cyclop-eeze. Adding mysis or VHP (very high protein formula) may help. I'm not usually using vitamins, aminoacids or Selcon for my suns, but yours is an expensive kind, worth a try.

Edited by non-photosynt
  • 2 weeks later...
joel sandoman

Fed my dendro today. Came back a half hour later to find a hermit grab sticking his claw down INSIDE the dendro and pulling food out. Good lord! How long do I have to keep the crabs off my corals? I thought once it was swallowed it was all good.

quick question for those with dendros:

i just got home with a single dendro polyp, it's still floating in the bag at the moment. I have a single 150w MH over my 25 gallon and i'm not sure where to put the dendro yet. from what i've read they don't like direct light from a MH. i know they don't react to light but will direct light from the MH damage it in any way? or can i just put it wherever as long as i feed it?

here's a pic of my tank... any suggestions on where to place it?

post-42796-1236295625_thumb.jpg?

i need a camera i have a whole tank dedicated to non photosynthetic corals

best part

its a pico

it has chili coral,sun coral and a carnation

which is doing very well

here's mine...

MyVacaPics556-1.jpg

Beautiful, Thanks for Sharing! ;)

quick question for those with dendros:

i just got home with a single dendro polyp, it's still floating in the bag at the moment. I have a single 150w MH over my 25 gallon and i'm not sure where to put the dendro yet. from what i've read they don't like direct light from a MH. i know they don't react to light but will direct light from the MH damage it in any way? or can i just put it wherever as long as i feed it?

here's a pic of my tank... any suggestions on where to place it?

post-42796-1236295625_thumb.jpg?

If you'll go to page 2, post #21, you'll see a pic of my 2 colonies of dendros. Mine are placed low in my tank. I also have MH lighting on my BC29. Keep your dendro well fed and you'll have some new sprouts! Good Luck with yours! ;)

awesome... thanks! i plan on fattening these guys up so they're nice and healthy. it was just fragged so i probably won't see any new growth for a while but i can't wait to get new sprouts! thanks again!

Just picked up a nice colony of sun coral a few days ago. I believe there may be about 4 polyps of black sun polyps on it as well. Don't have a camera on me atm but should have it back in a few days. Are there any descriptive chars to look at besides the obvious black polyps? If I'm not mistaken I've heard that black polyps are harder to keep .... Any truth to that? And hopefully I can train these bad boys to open up during the day pretty fast!

Everyone that's posted a pic: awesome pics! Nice to see such awesome pics!

• 2 months later...

Here are my sun corals. I got them almost 3 weeks ago.

Here is what they looked like when I first got them. They were very unhappy and very hungry. I bought them this way. It has taken them a couple of weeks to even begin polyp extension.

suncoral1.jpg

and what they look like tonight after feeding.

suncoral2.jpg

suncoralfeeding4.jpg

I am finding I am liking using the pop bottle method to segregate them for an hour during feeding. Not only do I not have to turn off the powerheads, but I find it much cleaner and with the exception of a couple smart nassarius snails, none of the other CUC bother them.

CupCoral.jpg?t=1243229461

Not the greatest picture of it but it is mine :) I'm going to try and get a better picture, that one was taken with the lights off, but with flash.