Cultivated Reef

Star Polyp Help

Signmom99

I've had my green star polyp now for probably about a month.  It's been happy until the last few days.  It is only opening a sparse amount of its shoots.  I have good water quality, etc.  The only thing different is that I did a water change (1st change) and used RO water.  This water I got from a water store and it is virtually 100% H2O with nothing left in it.  (They have it for cancer patients).  My polyps and all corals were looking better with tap water before the water change.  

So 1st question is why is polyp not doing well.  Or is this normal?  I am adding CA, strontium/mag, Micro-Vert,  andCoral-Vite.  I switched salt from Instant Ocean to a reef salt.  

If I have enough turbo snails to keep the algae in check, is there anything wrong with using tap water (de-chlorinated of course)?

Please help.  I don't want to kill my corals.  Mushrooms seem to be doing well except for the one that looks kink of like a torch coral.  That one is starting to no open up all the way either.

Suggestions, criticism, etc.....please.

What is you're lighting and temp?  Also how often and much supplements are you putting in ( calcium,strontium, alk, ect.) It would probably be helpful.  But for the water I use tap water ( I have a very good quality water from a modern water plant. As long as you dechlorinate and prepare you're water right you shouldn't have any problems with that, ( at least I don't ). LOL

Thanks for the reply ledford.  My temp stays steady at 78-80.  Never dropping below or rising above.  I add these supplements 2x a week.  The bottles call for 1 tsp per 50 gal so I use 1/4 tsp for 12 gal.  But I think that I am going to use tap water again.  There are things in there that may be beneficial.  I'll just have to deal with the phosphates, etc.

So that decided, now I just have to figure out what's up with the corals.  Guess I should mention that I have 32w smartlite and 13w power compact for lighting.

(Edited by Signmom99 at 2:49 pm on Mar. 22, 2002)

I would say to hang back and see if it does open I just got a polyp rock and mine stayed closed for the better part of the first day but is doing good now and for the tap water I would go for it ( just my opinion) with some of the nutrients in the water and your supplements you should be good and the lighting sounds alright too. Maybe try placing it in a different spot in you're tank as far as too much or to little current or have you changed or added anyhting in the tank besides the use of the RO water before it stopped opening? LOL

(Edited by Ledford at 5:40 pm on Mar. 24, 2002)

probably just getting used the new water. if that was the only difference youve done, there couldnt of been anything else wrong. i was worried yesterday when i got my first star polyps, they didnt open at all. i guess they just needed to get used to the new water (i guess theyre really picky). this morning they all opened!!

Star polyps are like that.  Sometimes they refuse to open for days on end and then boom...they open all the time.  But they always close up when you turn off the lights though.

It's a pesky coral I tell ya.  >:E

• 2 weeks later...
Nishant3789

actually, my star polyps dont  go back in after i turn off the lights... is this a bad thing? then again, i just got them today. well cya

nishant

The same thing thing happened to mine as cam barr a red slime algea growed over mine i put the colony i front of the power head to remove the algea the hermits want much help a day or so later the polyps were all open again.I dosed the tank with chemi-clean and now i have no more slim algea problems.

• 5 weeks later...

in reference to the commen/question about star polyps not closing after the lights go off, mine do this also.  i've noticed it for a while, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.  i got them in moderate current and just figured it had something to do with that.  they still grow and fully open when the lights come on though.  these are the only one of my polyps that do this.

printerdown01

I know you said that you parameters were good, but make sure you test your pH!! These corals are a great indicator of pH balance... In fact I used to use them to indicate when I need to test my pH. Other than that, sometimes they do act in what seems to be an irrational manner... I recently lost some star polyps, for what seemed to be no reason at all... I was totally stumped. Good luck.

Archived