inTank Media Baskets

Candycane Coral

Korbin

Does the stoney stalk just form a bud on the side or something?  Or do new stalks emerge from the base?  It seems like it would grow very slowly since it is a hard coral.  

I bought a single stalk that broke off or something at my LFS for $2.  The polyp is red on the outside and neon green in the middle.  It looks really healthy, and I'm just wondering if/how this thing is going to grow.  

sjpresley

Candycane and trumpet seem to grow a couple of ways a new head can "sprout" from the side of a stalk or a head will develop 2 "mouths" and will split into two separate heads (I've even seen one head with 3 mouths that split in 3).

Well, the stalk that I bought has one "head" that looks like its in the process of dividing in half.  The thing is, it has 4 mouths!  Does this mean its going to make 4 heads for sure?  2 of the mouths seem a bit smaller.  Could it be that it is in the process of dividing a second time even before its done with the first split?

That's how mine grew. Two years ago I got it with 3 "heads". The heads have each split 3-4 times now I'm up to a nice 15 piece cluster.

Give it good light, good Calcium levels, and an ocassional brine or copie feeding and it will do great!

I've tried feeding it marine fish food flakes as well as bits of shrimp pellets.  It will swallow them, sit there for 15 minutes to a half hour, and then the mouths will open up and the food will come out and float away.  Has yours done this with brine shrimp?  I can't tell if its getting anything from what I'm feeding it, or if its just barfing it back up.

hmm mine hasnt taken food yet. i cant wait for mine to start splitting wither. how often does this happen?

Archived