Pod Your Reef

? about clownfish

TheMako

I just bought a clownfish yesterday, and he seems to be hanging out at th top of the water in one corner of the tank. It seems like he is trying to fight a current to get to the other side. I was just wondering if this was normal.

RayWhisperer
I just bought a clownfish yesterday, and he seems to be hanging out at th top of the water in one corner of the tank. It seems like he is trying to fight a current to get to the other side. I was just wondering if this was normal.

Sounds fairly normal. When first introduced they tend to stay in one place high in the water column.

revaltion131

Mine stayed towards the bottom of the water column, but he looked like a pretty weak swimmer at first also. He's fine now. My theory is just that tank-bred aren't as used to the current we keep in our reef tanks so they take a little time to adapt. I could be totally wrong, but that's what I think on it.

RayWhisperer

I'd start with some enriched frozen foods like mysis shrimp. After that, I wean them onto several types of floating pellets. Elos and Spectrum are what I feed mine most of the time.

xknightangelx

When I got my maroon clown, I too thought there was something wrong with him. He did the same thing, hung out at the top of the water constantly swimming with his top fin out of the water. I got a bubble tip anemone and he took to it immediately !! Thats all he needed. So I'm guessing its pretty normal.

Yea i fed him today and he seems a lot better. Quick question though , how much are you supposed to feed him because i gave him a little but it seems like he keeps trying to find food.

Fish are always foraging for food...throughout the day...don't constantly feed them just cause they look hungry...Unfortunately...my bluespot jawfish has decided to beg for food now...:) His burrow is in the front...he just comes out...and stares at me...and waits...hahahahaha. I feed them 2-3 times a day...enough that they will finish it in a few minutes. :D

My female clarkii clown and yellow tang, are absolute pigs...hahahahaha

-DCG

Fish are always foraging for food...throughout the day...don't constantly feed them just cause they look hungry...Unfortunately...my bluespot jawfish has decided to beg for food now...:) His burrow is in the front...he just comes out...and stares at me...and waits...hahahahaha. I feed them 2-3 times a day...enough that they will finish it in a few minutes. :D

My female clarkii clown and yellow tang, are absolute pigs...hahahahaha

-DCG

All my fish beg for food all the time every day!!

I only feed every other day. I have three mysis eating fish (1 lawnmower blenny but he eats only algae) and I feed 1/4 cube of mysis every other day. Have to really watch over feeding otherwise you will get algae and cyano!

Archived