Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lizzie's RSM

Lizzie1324

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!

Your shipping info was great, really helpful.

I went and bought one of those filter media bags, but it didn't fit over the Koralia, so I just took it and wrapped it around it, and it works just fine! Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it works!

:D

Ok well some updates!

As soon as I get my babysitting money....I'm going to orders some sweet zoa's from a fellow NR'er. And he says he'll throw in some free paly's as well. And today I fragged one of my larger pieces of the brown/orange zoa's into about 7 little frags. They aren't very pretty, but once they grow in it will look nice. :lol:

I also have a deal set-up to trade some green mushrooms for a frag of my whammin' watermelon and the brown/orange zoa's.

So thats all that going on right now. Once my frags start to grow if anyone wants them I'd be more than willing to give them away or trade. They are a pretty common color I think. :P:D

I'll take pics when they open!

And...How do you guys out there keep your sand clean? I'm going to order some more clean-up crew b/c I need to, but I get that nasty red/brown stuff and it really bothers me.....

Any help?

Sounds awesome, to keep the sand clean you need enough flow to keep all the detritus off of it, or a couple of times a week use your hand or a turkey baster to get it all in the water column for the filtration to take care of. Do not disturb the sandbed alot or and don't use a gravel vacuum to clean it, this is mess up your biological filtration.

squirrelieygrrrl

lol, does that mean im breaking the cardinal rule?

i vac all the time, and i dont ever seem to have any sort of mini cycle.......

Yeah, I think I'm just going to have to keep fighting it. It seems like I have enough flow, but it always just grows back everyday.

Hmph... <_<

I turkey baste it into the column every once in a while. But it is really ugly and pisses off my corals. Haha.

lol, does that mean im breaking the cardinal rule?

i vac all the time, and i dont ever seem to have any sort of mini cycle.......

As long as your just doing the top layer its fine.

squirrelieygrrrl

ah ok, lol, thanks

yup just the very top 1/2 in or less. just enough to remove the crud.

lizzie,

sorry to hijack your thread.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to have to keep fighting it. It seems like I have enough flow, but it always just grows back everyday.

Hmph... <_<

I turkey baste it into the column every once in a while. But it is really ugly and pisses off my corals. Haha.

Is it algae or detritus? You shouldn't have that much detritus build up everyday unless you are overfeeding, if its algae then you may need a better CUC, or alteast one with some sand stirrers. Whats your current CUC like?

Whenever I "dust off" my rocks and substrate with a turkey baster I tend to think that its feeding my corals also, they eat that stuff ya know!

Yeah, it's def. algae.

I think I could need more clean-up crew. I only have like 7 nassarius snails and then like 6 or 7 various other snails and like 10 hermits.

I think when I can get the money I'm going to buy some more clean-up crew, especially nassarius snails.

Yeah, it's def. algae.

I think I could need more clean-up crew. I only have like 7 nassarius snails and then like 6 or 7 various other snails and like 10 hermits.

I think when I can get the money I'm going to buy some more clean-up crew, especially nassarius snails.

Well the Nassarius snails aren't going to do anything about the algae, they just eat leftovers pretty much. I'm not sure what would eat the algae growing on the sand, maybe some Astrea snails? A sea hare would definitely cut down on the algae, and I think I'm about to go get one too. Your best bet is to do like you said, more nassarius and more cerith snails, that way they keep the top layer of sand stirred up so the algae won't grow on it. You might want to contact John Mahloney @ ReefCleaners.org, he is on this forum quite often and you could shoot him a PM, their CUC prices are DEAD cheap. I just got CUCs for 3 tanks for 70$.

Ok, well my tank is officially 4 months old!

It was really on the 12th, but I forgot to post about it.

So in honor of the b-day I might do some more fragging!

And for ddr_phish I'm going to show pic of the zoa's I can frag!

I have five types(I forgot one when I was listing them ddr_phish)

A. RDE

B. Whammin' Watermelon

C. Brown with dark greenish/blue middle and and orange center

D. Dark brown everywhere with a cream colored center

E. Dark Brown with an orange ring around the center

And I have some GSP

Everything not bolded would be very small, like 2 polyps to start, but I could let it grow out if anyone was interested.

So here are the pics!

Edit: Cool thanks Phish! I was thinking of getting one to, but they get really big don't they? But I could probably take it to the LFS when it gets to large... But I'll def. check out that site!

RDE

a.jpg

WW

b.jpg

Unknown

c.jpg

Unknown

de.jpg

Far off shot of A,B, and E

abe.jpg

And I think everyone know what GSP looks like :lol:

So there you go Phish!

Interesting, I'll have to think about that, trade or donation, I'm fine with either one. I can't do the Digitatas right now though because I only have two in my frag tank and my colony is tiny, I need to let them all grow out some. But you want some Birdsnest, Teal Zoas, and Candy Canes?

Sea Slugs can get huge, like the size of your hand, but just buy a tiny one and trade it in later if you have to.

LoL I still haven't bought shipping supplies, I'm such a procrastinator... Oh well off to lunch for now..

Oh and congrats on your tanks 4 month anniversary! It will only continue in greatness!

Thanks phish!

Yeah, or just the zoa's and the birdsnest, but if you think the candy cane is fair I'll take that too!

Haha. But yeah, just think about it for a while and let me know if your interested in a trade!

:)

squirrelieygrrrl

loverly lizzie!

wanna hold some of those rde's? id love to trade ya those for one or maybe two of those yumas. :D but im not ready to do them just yet.

nice paint job there. lol.

haha, thanks..

I should give up reefing and go become an artist :P

Sure, that would be pretty sweet...those yumas are really cool.

Oh and I just picked up a frag of these bright yellow zoa's for 2 dollars! :D I'll snap pics when they open up.

Ok, well here are the new pics of my awesome little yellow zoa's I got for 2 bucks!

131.jpg

130.jpg

129.jpg

128.jpg

127.jpg

And here is the zoa frag when I first got it....

2026_1207vacation20080004.jpg

And now

95-1.jpg

So yeah. Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks!

I really love the new yellow ones, and they were cheap! :D

I was surprised the zoa's grew that fast! it was really cool to see the amount of growth.

So what's the word on our trade? I'm planning on buying shipping supplies for another trade this friday, so I was just seeing if I needed to buy some more :) Don't mean to rush ya'.

Or if you don't want anything we could just wait until later. Or you could donate if you really want to, but I'd feel better if we traded :lol:

Well not much is going on. I have a trade set up for Monday, and as soon as I get around to it I'm purchasing some cool zoa's from a fellow NR'er.

In the mean time I snapped some cool pics of my candy cane really puffed up and chowing on some phyto and mysis.

I have my stylo to a friend w/metal halide. Some of the polyps were receding and I figured it was better off in his tank :) It looks really cool in his tank, polyps coming out fully, and they really wanted one. He helped me a lot in my setting up my tank so yeah. And I really didn't want to resort to chemicals, but I used some and all my red algae is gone!

So here are the new pictures...

Candy canes nice and puffed up..

133.jpg

134.jpg

135.jpg

And....

No more dirty sand beds!!

136.jpg

137.jpg

138.jpg

Pretty Hammer

139.jpg

FTS

140.jpg

Well I moved some of my LPS corals, and they are in the perfect spots! And I also have a bunch of frags available if anyone is interested in trade or purchase :lol: I have a bunch of the orange centered brown skirted ones, and one with those and about 6 polyps of the whammin' watermelon.

No greens yet, still need to frag those...

So I'll snap some pics and post em' in a little!

Archived