Cultivated Reef

Lizzie's RSM

Lizzie1324

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a lot!

I was really surprised they grew that much. I went from 5 polyps to 11!

I really want some of those fire&ice zoa's I think they are gorgeous.

:lol:

O.K well I have officially decided it is impossible to catch a fish in a tank :D

So Kronk will stay :)

I'm going back and forth between a pygmy angel, or two small gobies, like a YCG and blue neon goby or something along those lines. Also anyone know where I could find a pygmy possum wrasse online maybe? Cfiests is adorable, and I would also consider that as a last fish addition.

Well I'll post some pics before I leave for vacation to hold everyone over :P

Thanks everyone for the comments and help.

squirrelieygrrrl

looks great lizzie!

a big 'ol thumbs up to ya! i have the same problem with a big ugly chunk of rock from when my tank was a fowlr, it was perfect when it was the only piece in the tank. ive just surrendered to leaving it, cuz its super porous and seems to be a breeding ground for the pods in my tank. cant wait to see some new shots! take care on your vacation lizzie.

~squirrel

Thanks squirrelieygrrrl! I've decided to just let it be as wel, one of my fish really likes the cave it creates, so its all good with me :happy:

Well I spent some of my baby-sitting money on some new stuff!

:D

I picked up this adorable little brain for 35 bucks, and a conch to see if it will clean the sand. Even if it doesn't, it's still a cool little creature :)

The pics of the brain are when it was first put in, now it is more adjusted and you can't see the skeleton at all. It's so bright green I love it!

This was my last purchase before vacation, but my lfs was going to order me a small piece of bright green gsp. I have a spot in the back where the rock is really ugly, and I know the stuff spreads really quickly, so it will be perfect back there!

Now for some pics......

Close-up of the brain :)

74.jpg

Far off shot with rics, zoa's, and brain

75.jpg

CONCH!

76.jpg

Blenny Chillin' :D

77.jpg

Hammer and clown

78.jpg

Frag and yellow tip dwarf hermit

79.jpg

Blenny again

81.jpg

Clowns

82.jpg

Phineas

83.jpg

And now the first and current FTS!

HPIM0261.jpg

80.jpg

And thats all!

squirrelieygrrrl

suhweet! looks purdy! keep up the good work! ive been researching about brains because i really want one. ive read that they can get damaged easily by the rocks, and in the wild they are sand dwellers, so make sure it cant touch any of your rocks when its fully inflated. just my two cents! lovin the orange green and teal zoa. cute name for the blenny! you might get a good laugh at this but i named my two clowns lunch and dinner. :haha:

lol, great clown names ;)

Yeah there is actually a chunk of sand right there in between those two rocks, and that is where it is sitting.

Thanks for the comments.

I have a lot of those brown/teal/orange zoa's. They grow like crazzzzyyyyyy.

JourneyReef
So I think I would like to get a pygmy angel for my last fish addition.

I hear pygmies have the best record as far as coral nipping goes.

Anyone have experience with these guys?

I also plan on putting my pseudochromis in a biocube we are setting up in the future, and replacing him with a yellow clown goby or a neon blue goby.

Anyone have some good advice on catching fish? Haha :lol:

I think I will give them some food while the net is in there, and try and scoop him up from underneath.

I have a cherub pygmy angel and LOVE him. He's a beautiful littlle fish and loves swimming in and out of the rock scape. The like lots of holes so swim through and will stick close to the rock face but are very active swimmers. They can be a bit territorial.

Cool, thanks! I've pretty much decided on that for my last fish.

It's ok if they are a bit territorial, my psuedo is a little like that as well.

I think they are so adorable too!! :lol:

Well in other news, what started out as moving one rock to give my brain more room turned into a re-arranging party. :P

It wasn't very fun, but the result is very stable, and Kronk the pseudo loves the holes and caves it has created. I had to move my hammer to a different spot, and I think it will look really cool as it grows. :)

I can't find my camera right now, but I'll upload some pics later.

Oh and how often should I feed my brain? Right now I'm feeding everyone on Tuesdays and Fridays, is that often enough or to often?

Thanks for the help!

Well here are the update pics.....

I'm leaving for Las Vegas in 2 days, so this is the last bunch of pics for about a week

Top down brain

99.jpg

Top down hammer

98.jpg

Pearl

84.jpg

Toadstool

85.jpg

Hitchhiker mushroom on my leather

86.jpg

New Yuma placement

87.jpg

Stylo

88.jpg

Yuma and Zoa

89.jpg

Brain

90.jpg

Brain and hammer

91.jpg

New zoa garden area

92.jpg

My frag has some new babies!

93.jpg

Zoa garden

94.jpg

Two kinds of zoa's that I dont know the name. One is all dark brown with white center, and one is all brown with an orange ring around the center

95.jpg

Right side

96.jpg

New FTS

97.jpg

Thats all.....

Thanks!

The brain is great, I looked around for a long time until I found a nice small one.

It would definitely be a great addition to your tank :)

squirrelieygrrrl

looks great lizzie!

love the new scape. lol, i didnt mean to light a fire under your @55 though, about givin that brain more room. :P

Haha, don't worry about it!

I started to think well it IS going to grow, so might as well move it now instead of later when I have more corals :P

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm back from vacation, and bad news comes with me

-_-

Well I was telling my parents how to take care of the tank while I was gone and all went well except my brain. I had it about 4 days, and fed it mysis twice, well while I was gone my mom said it started to shrink up so they fed it mysis, but she said the next day it looked even worse. They tried to feed it ( all the pumps were off and everything ) but it wouldn't eat. :mellow:

So the skeleton was showing all over and it wasn't inflated at all, so recognizing the signs, my mom took it out and took it back to the lfs. :tears:

All my levels were fine, all the other corals are thriving and growing, but I never saw it extend its tentacles during feeding like in pictures I've seen, and the lfs had apparently just gotten it in. It really sucks that it didn't make it. It was one of my favorites...

:(

But on a lighter note, I ordered some Zoa's from a fellow reefer, and I'm picking up some GSP from the lfs this weekend.

Wow, your tank is beautiful! I'm loving that ginormous BUBBLE! Although I'm sorry to hear about your brain, it was very beautiful! Mine has a somewhat similar problem. I have had it for about 2 months and never once has it extended its feeding tentacles or ate anything meaty, and I've tried EVERYTHING! So I assume its getting all of its necessary nutrients from my metal halide? It stays puffed up and happy during the day, but it was rough looking for the first week or two.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm not really sure what happened with the brain. One day it was gorgeous and fully inflated and the next it was all shriveled and dying. But I assume with metal halide it's doing very well :)

Unless you see it start to shrivel, I wouldn't worry to much.

:happy:

Well, big update!

I bought some GSP for the back corner of my tank, along with some macro algae(not sure what kind...)

And today I bought a lettuce nudibranch, and a red w/bright green center candy cane with about 9 heads.

All is doing well and lights are off right now, but I'll snap some pics tomorrow!

Well, big update!

I bought some GSP for the back corner of my tank, along with some macro algae(not sure what kind...)

And today I bought a lettuce nudibranch, and a red w/bright green center candy cane with about 9 heads.

All is doing well and lights are off right now, but I'll snap some pics tomorrow!

Woohoo! Update pics!

Haha, here they are......

I did a little re-arranging after a near collapse :o:blush:

Now it is very stable with one nice big cave in the middle and several little caves leading to the center. I love how it turned out!

Also, I'm having some problems with that nasty brownish/red algae that sits on the sand bed, you can see it in the pic of the macro algae, the FTS, and the one with the blenny and the pseudo. I have a good amount of flow, I top off with RO/DI water, I do weekly water changes, and I feed everything probably about twice a week, like once every 3-4 days. I tried manually removing it, but it just comes back the next day. It makes the tank look really ugly, IMO, and I see so many tanks on here without the ugly algae on the sand, and I just want to see if anyone has an opinion on how to take care of it or make it better. Thanks!

Hammer and Frogpawn

100.jpg

Zoa's and Yuma's

101.jpg

New Candy Cane

102.jpg

Leather, Pearl, Hammer, and Frogspawn

103.jpg

Caesar the lettuce nudibranch

104.jpg

Again...

105.jpg

GSP

106.jpg

Macro Algae

107.jpg

Candy Cane from side

108.jpg

Kronk and Zoa's

109.jpg

Zoa's

110.jpg

More Zoa's

111.jpg

Nudi and Clown

113.jpg

Blenny and Pseudo

116.jpg

FTS!!!

114.jpg

Haha, yeah the reflection makes it look funny

I just used your thread to explain to my mom what a monti cap was and that I wanted a purple one like you have.:happy:

Any time some one wants to know what something looks like, I resort to the StevieT Thread of Wonders ;)

Archived