Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lizzie's RSM

Lizzie1324

I feed frozen sometimes, but I don't add the water it was melting in. It is that same brown gunk stuff you are talking about. I still need my Koralia 2, so maybe when I get more flow it will clear up. Thanks for the help :D

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good. I was thinking about adding an emerald to my tank but after your experience I am having second thoughts. I have one in my 7g but he has never messed with the coral.

Sorry about the late response daddyr1013.

I know they can vary from crab to crab, but the two I have had have been coral eaters :P I think if you got a small one it would be ok, if he does decide he wants to have a coral snack, you can always take him back to the store. I think I have just been unlucky in my emerald crab experiences :D

And for an update, tomorrow one of my lfs's is having an awesome sale and raffle. All livestock 22% off and they are giving away stuff like a complete 90 gallon set-up and a biocube29 with stand, some skimmers, and other random stuff. Hopefully I will pick up some cool corals, and maybe even win another tank :lol:

Wish me luck!

Well I didn't win anything, but I got some cool stuff! :D

I picked up a nice sized pearl bubble coral and a small toadstool leather, along with a lime green feather duster. All for 70 bucks!

(BTW the feather duster is more lime green in real life.)

So even though the corals aren't fully opened up yet I snapped a few shots.

Also, I had a loose zoa and one the had fallen off the colony, so I did a little fragging :lol: I also fragged a little yuma (surprisingly scary), but all went well! Unfortunately the yuma came unattached from the lr rubble :angry: . Next time I'll make sure it's more secure.

now for the pics...

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

Just a quick update, I switched the places of my hammer and pearl bubble corals.

I also found a little purple/blue mushroom that was attached to my toadstool I picked up.

Every thing is going great, corals are nice and open.

I'm looking into a chiller, does anyone know of some online stores with good chiller pricing? I'll most likely also purchase my Koralia 2 with the chiller.

And what do you guys know about Stylophora?

I saw some nice priced frags, but I don't know much about them. Anyone with experience?

And now for some pics...

The pair together

24.jpg

Phineas chilling on his perch

22.jpg

The clowns with the hammer and frogspawn

18.jpg

Pearl bubble with orange/brown zoas in the background

12.jpg

More orange/brown zoa's

11.jpg

I love taking pic's of these guys

9.jpg

Four kinds of zoa's

4.jpg

Pearl bubble

3.jpg

Feather duster

2.jpg

Left side( ignore therm. probe :P)

16.jpg

Right side

17.jpg

FTS!!!

15.jpg

And thats all... :lol:

RayWhisperer
a mod will have to move it if they see fit, I am sure it will get the move over time. No worries.
I see fit to move it. :)

Haha :P

So any info on the stynophora? It was either that or a hydnophora... or something like that. It was lime green with bright green polyps. I want to say it was hydnopora or hydnophora. Any who, any help would be appreciated. :lol:

O.K. scratch that, it looked like a stylophora but lime green. So I'm trying to do some research, but I can't find anything of substance... :angry:

Hey everyone!

Well headed to the LFS for water, and I plan on picking up my Koralia 2 and maybe another coral.

Still open for info on a good chiller or the sylophora coral.

I'll take some pics when I get back :lol:

WOO! I bought a little Green Stylophora frag for 40 bucks, and my Koralia 2. My frogspawn and bubble are loving the new flow, but the leather and hammer are still adjusting to it.

Hopefully by tomorrow they will be opened up more.

So I love the little frag, and I might pick up an Orange Digita they had for $20 next...not sure though.

Anyway, heres some pics of the new addition!

New Green Stylo. :lol:

26.jpg

Cool pic with clowns

27.jpg

This piece came loose so it's now a frag :P

28.jpg

Stylo again...

29.jpg

FTS

30.jpg

Thanks StevieT!

I love the little guys, so cute. Except now when ever I put my hand in the tank they come and bite me! Kind of annoying, but there still adorable :P

squirrelieygrrrl

hey lizzie,

after you posted in my thread i had to come check out your tank! things look great imo! how long has it been set up? btw i use a stiff bristle toothbrush to clean down by the sand bed, and any nuisance algae off the rocks(just my 2 cents) love the stylopora, and i have been wanting a bubble coral for some time now. i think you have finally given me the extra little shove i needed to go out and get a chunk of that stuff! :D

~squirrel

Thanks!

I found the Pearl and was like, " Holy cow its huge!!". And when my lfs said it was 35 bucks plus 22% off I was sold :P It's pretty neat.

The stylo is the most recent, and my first plunge into sps. So far its doing great, I love its neon colors.

The tank has been up for about....well it will be 3 months on like July 5th. So almost 3 months.

I've been using the toothbrush technique and it works well, but if I keep my hand in there too long my clowns start to bite me :lol: It will be cool to watch your tank and my tank progress together :D

I'll definitely keep watch on your thread!

WOO! I bought a little Green Stylophora frag for 40 bucks, and my Koralia 2. My frogspawn and bubble are loving the new flow, but the leather and hammer are still adjusting to it.

I expect that you may find that the leather likes the high flow once it gets used to it but that the frogspawn will like just enough flow to keep its tentacles moving.

Nice looking tank!

-hank

Thanks guys!

HankB- Yeah the leather like the new flow, and the hammer is opened up way more now. I adjusted it so I wasn't directly over the hammer and it seems pleased. Thanks for stopping by, you tank is sweet too :D

Jim- Lol, the stylo is pretty great, I was lucky to find it. My lfs usually doesn't have great sps. :) You should definitely get one.

Well as an update, I need to buy a chiller! Temp. is getting a little to high for my liking, getting up close to 82.2. Parents are in agreement and are willing to spend the money in order to preserve the money they have already put into the tank :P So any input on a good brand of chiller? Or anywhere with good prices? I'm looking for something cheap(relative) that will get it closer to 80.3 even in the hot summer we're having.

Its not super urgent, everything is doing fine, nothing with health issues, but I don't feel comfortable with the sps in the hot temp. Or adding anything new for that matter...

Any help is appreciated B)

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks guys!

HankB- Yeah the leather like the new flow, and the hammer is opened up way more now. I adjusted it so I wasn't directly over the hammer and it seems pleased. Thanks for stopping by, you tank is sweet too :D

Jim- Lol, the stylo is pretty great, I was lucky to find it. My lfs usually doesn't have great sps. :) You should definitely get one.

Well as an update, I need to buy a chiller! Temp. is getting a little to high for my liking, getting up close to 82.2. Parents are in agreement and are willing to spend the money in order to preserve the money they have already put into the tank :P So any input on a good brand of chiller? Or anywhere with good prices? I'm looking for something cheap(relative) that will get it closer to 80.3 even in the hot summer we're having.

Its not super urgent, everything is doing fine, nothing with health issues, but I don't feel comfortable with the sps in the hot temp. Or adding anything new for that matter...

Any help is appreciated B)

Thanks again everyone!

The jbj arctica mini chiller works great with my RSM. You'll want to get the install kit as well. Marinedepot.com has them.

Lizzie1324

Well I have a temporary solution for my heat issue. I've just been leaving the back flap and the front flap open.

Not very pretty, but my tank is at 80.9 in the hottest part of the day :) . So now it gives me time to save up some money. Any info on some cheaper chillers?

And some pics just to keep you guys satisfied...

Each one has a far away, and then a close up, except for the ricordea, I couldn't get a good shot.

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

39.jpg

36.jpg

38.jpg

37.jpg

51.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

52.jpg

And thats all. :lol:

Lizzie1324

So I think I would like to get a pygmy angel for my last fish addition.

I hear pygmies have the best record as far as coral nipping goes.

Anyone have experience with these guys?

I also plan on putting my pseudochromis in a biocube we are setting up in the future, and replacing him with a yellow clown goby or a neon blue goby.

Anyone have some good advice on catching fish? Haha :lol:

I think I will give them some food while the net is in there, and try and scoop him up from underneath.

The jbj arctica mini chiller works great with my RSM. You'll want to get the install kit as well. Marinedepot.com has them.

marinedepot is no longer sellling the JBJ chillers. I would also suggest purchasing a chiller from dr fosters over marinedepot. I bought a jbj arctica mini chiller from marinedepot and it was defective and i had to pay 60 bucks to send it back to them. dr.fosters apparently will send pre-paid labels for you to attach on RMAs which is very nice. On a side note the current usa's are on sale at multiple places for 255.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been a while since I have updated, but I haven't been adding much to the tank b/c of money(or lack of)

So the only new thing is a peppermint shrimp who took care of my few aptasia within a few days. His name a Pepe, pretty generic, but he's cute and only cost 6 bucks :D

My zoa's have put on alot of growth, esp. my whammin' watermelon, they are doing great.

I'm still not super happy with the placement of my large petco rock. It has some great coraline, but it always looks like BAM!! ROCK!

So if anyone has some suggestions it would be appreciated.

Also, I moved my pearl to where my ricordea used to be for a little less flow, and it is verryyyyyy happy there, bigger than it ever was before. That has opened up a big chunk of sand behind my zoa's and I was thinking of putting an open brain there, would that work?

And I noticed I have a lot of pastel pinks and greens, so if anyone has some bright colored corals that would work under the stock T5's that would be great :D

Edit: the petco rock is the large one in the front with the frogspawn on it, forgot to mention that :P

Well enough of the boring stuff, here's the pictures!!

54.jpg

55.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

Right side/angle

65.jpg

Left side/angle

66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

69.jpg

Frag 1

71.jpg

Frag 2

72.jpg

Frag 3

73.jpg

Now some growth of zoa's...

Whammin watermelon/RDE before

4.jpg

After

56.jpg

Thats after about 1 1/2-2 months of growth, so hopefully they keep it up!! Suggestions or comments are always appreciated!

B)

Archived