Coral Vue Hydros

Crazy Pipework

newreefguy

Hey everybody,

I have been a member for a long time but haven't posted in quite a while. Anyway, I am assembling a new 29gal system and thought I would share some pics of the pipework I have been working on. I just have to finish the drain spigot and then give it the old water test.

Basically my goal was to have a drilled closed loop with two 3/4" returns and two 1" drains and a SCWD, taps for a chiller, a probe holder for my PH probe, modularity for easy maintenance and repair, and a system drain for easy water changes and system discharging. I also had the requirement that none of it stuck out any further than 4.5" from the back of the stand. Tall order but all-in-all it turned out ok! It was a big job .. I don't want to even think about how many bushings I had to cut and deburr. :)

pvc.jpg

That look amazing. Great Job. I wish I had plumbing skills like that. One of the cleanest hardline jobs I've ever seen.

^ water changes and stuff

Wow, all that beautiful pipework all for a closed loop, lol. I would've just used flex PVC. :huh:

did you do all that to increase head?

i see a few places where you could have shortened it some but yeah what are those 2 parallel pipes going to the left?

the bottom one is from the drain and the top one is from the return so what do they go to?

is that for like future expansion or something?

very nice

Thanks for the nice comments! :)

Lol yeah I could have used flex PVC for some of it but with the probe mount and chiller taps a lot of it would have needed to have been rigid anyway. Going all rigid made the whole system more streamlined.

The gate valve and ball valve on the left side are so that I can add and remove the chiller without draining the whole system. I only need the chiller for Summer months. I used a gate valve on the chiller input so that I can throttle back the flow to about 300gph which is what my little chiller is rated for.

did you do all that to increase head?

i see a few places where you could have shortened it some but yeah what are those 2 parallel pipes going to the left?

the bottom one is from the drain and the top one is from the return so what do they go to?

is that for like future expansion or something?

very nice

Yeah the extra loop on the right side was to keep it within 4.5" from the back of the stand. Using two 45 degree elbows instead of two 90 degree elbows saves about 1" of depth. It’s going against a wall in my entry and I want it to be as close to the wall as possible. :)

You should start a thread if you haven't already on the entire tank.

Looks like a good one.

Will do! Theres plenty to talk about. :) Everything is DIY .. stand, canopy, drilled AGA 29 /w painted back, etc, etc, etc ..

Archived