Pod Your Reef

UWWMatt's 14G biocube

uwwmatt

I bought my Cube used from a friend at work. His old hood had melted from the heat of the bulbs when the fans burnt out. So I bought a new replacement. Sockets in the old hood still work, so I'm considering upgrading the lighting using these. All i need to buy is new ballasts

Do you have the link to the lighting upgrade install? I'v looked at nanotuners but can't seem to find the install guide, and have no idea how this was done. I plan on adding in a 50/50 bulb for more balance.

The tank looks amazing and makes me excited for when I can start adding things to mine.

I bought my Cube used from a friend at work. His old hood had melted from the heat of the bulbs when the fans burnt out. So I bought a new replacement. Sockets in the old hood still work, so I'm considering upgrading the lighting using these. All i need to buy is new ballasts

Do you have the link to the lighting upgrade install? I'v looked at nanotuners but can't seem to find the install guide, and have no idea how this was done. I plan on adding in a 50/50 bulb for more balance.

The tank looks amazing and makes me excited for when I can start adding things to mine.

I asked them to Email me the instructions. I will see if I can track down that email and send it to you.

In your case you might want to consider going topless and buying a sunpod. Under most circumstances I don't recommend them because they ruin the stock look, but since you would have to buy 2 new ballasts and the 3.24 lighting upgrade to get your hood running you might as well just spend the money on a Metal Halide lamp.

I already have the wiring to install it in the new hood, the old hood wiring still works. i would just have to buy one ballast and it would be done.

the tank is running stock right now, just cycling the tank. ill be doing a thread tonight.

I already have the wiring to install it in the new hood, the old hood wiring still works. i would just have to buy one ballast and it would be done.

Gotcha.

I tried looking through my emails to track down the instructions but no luck, I would suggest sending them an email. info@nanotuners.com

They are pretty quick at responding.

If I remember correctly they also send the instructions along with the kit.

I have not done any mod with my BC14 lighting yet. I do like the look of the compact Biocube, stock hood in place. Nanotuner's 3.24 definitely is my lead choice. Would like to know how much benefit your corals got from the +50% lighting. I do plan to stick to easy to care of corals, no hard corals, just those that require med to high lighting max. Do you think these corals would not fare well in your tank if you did not upgrade your light? Would they have thrived at all? With the noise that goes with it as you mentioned, my other choice would be to use that extra space for Powebrite LED's just for the daytime viewing effect. If the 3.24 upgrade would not be justified based on my coral plans, I'd go with the Powerbrites.

By the way, did you choose pure actinic for the new bulb or 50/50? Thank you.

-rfa

I have ordered the 3.24 upgrade with a 50/50 bulb, so I will have 1 10,000k, one 50/50 and one Actinic. I also ordered the fancy led lights. I will let you know what it looks like and post a picture when it comes in late this week sometime. The instructions for the do it yourself are on their website where you order the lights from. I am having them do the wiring as I am not a do it yourself person per say. I will post a picture though when it comes so you can have an idea what it looks like.

I have ordered the 3.24 upgrade with a 50/50 bulb, so I will have 1 10,000k, one 50/50 and one Actinic. I also ordered the fancy led lights. I will let you know what it looks like and post a picture when it comes in late this week sometime. The instructions for the do it yourself are on their website where you order the lights from. I am having them do the wiring as I am not a do it yourself person per say. I will post a picture though when it comes so you can have an idea what it looks like.

Nice.

They didn't have the upgraded LEDs when I bought the kit, so I am anxious to see what it will look like.

I did all the wiring myself. It wasn't too tricky, although you have to cut out and remove a transformer which was a bit confusing because I wasn't sure which little thing that was. I guessed correctly though.

Nice.

They didn't have the upgraded LEDs when I bought the kit, so I am anxious to see what it will look like.

I did all the wiring myself. It wasn't too tricky, although you have to cut out and remove a transformer which was a bit confusing because I wasn't sure which little thing that was. I guessed correctly though.

I did the mod myself also and ordered the variable transformer they sell, I would suggest it because you can slow down the fans and quiet the noise a little bit. this was a great upgrade worth every penny. I just ordered Sapphires nano reactor for my 1st chamber I'll show you guys pics when i install it. looks cool.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I've seen you around here on NR but never have I checked your thread lol.

She's a beauty!

Thanks, it has since been upgraded to my 25G.

• 1 year later...

Archived