inTank Media Baskets

Snail came out of shell

Ruud

So one of my Nassarius snails must have gotten his shell stuck in some rockwork. I found both the empty shell AND the snail, who is still alive. I saw him sliding around (bare-backed), and then he returned under the sand. What can I expect to happen from this point?

+1. a snails shell is connected to their body, its not like a hermit where it can just 'upgrade' whenever it wants. snail most likely died, got eaten, and you are seeing another snail like the one mentioned above, or some sort of worm

ocean_of_mirth

as far as I know, stomatella snails don't live under the sand like nassarius do. Also, nassarius are easy to identify because of their "snout".

Evolving the ability to 'dump' a stuck shell makes sense, evolutionarily speaking. A stuck snail will always die eventually, but if some snails can dump their shells and try to regrow a new one, they will have a much better chance of surviving than if they just waited for death.

I have never heard of it happening, but that doesn't make it impossible.

circusordie16

just because something would be useful doesnt mean its possible. anatomically snails cant lost their shells without dying. it would be equivalent to a human losing their skin. it might be beneficial in some situations but its still not gonna happen. a picture would be helpful though.

Edited by circusordie16
ocean_of_mirth

I agree, a pic would be great.

Some things that people think are impossible are true. For example, everyone knows that mammals don't lay eggs, or have bills like ducks, or are venomous.

Yet a duck-billed platypus has all three. I think it's a lot easier for a snail to leave it's shell than for a mammal to lay eggs, but that's just me.

I agree, a picture would be very helpful.

think y'all need to do some research. nass snails grow by shedding shells and growing new ones. happens all the time in my tank. what i have to say is dont worry about the snail. it will grow another shell.

Abe, where did you get that info? I've never heard of a snail that grows a whole new shell. They grow by adding a layer the opening of the shell. That's how they get the growth ridges. I looked it up and there is zero mention of any snails that shed their shells. I think maybe your's are just dying.

Abe, where did you get that info? I've never heard of a snail that grows a whole new shell. They grow by adding a layer the opening of the shell. That's how they get the growth ridges. I looked it up and there is zero mention of any snails that shed their shells. I think maybe your's are just dying.

no, i QT half my nass snails that shed shells. they all grow back the shells and grow bigger. the ones in the main tank mostly remain under the sand but will venture out at night to eat and go straight back under the sand. shedding shells is just a natural thing for nass snails.

Can't imagine getting a pic of the snail at this point. Like I said, he went under. I can take a pic of the empty shell, but I assure you it's an empty snail shell. You've all seen one.

And it is MOST DEF the Nass Snail. Snout up front, long body with a spot towards the back. It actually still had the shape of itself, only it looked like raw flesh rather than hard shell. It looked crazy!

I'm 100% sure of what happened, and how. Just don't know what to expect, i.e., whether it lives or dies. I have not found a single thread or website that talks about this either, but thanks for your replies. Abe, I hope you're right.

BKtomodachi

I'm fairly certain either this did not happen or the snail will die shortly.

They house some very delicate tissue under their shell. Also, it would take quite a bit of time for a snail to go through the calcification process in order to just make a new one.

no, i QT half my nass snails that shed shells. they all grow back the shells and grow bigger. the ones in the main tank mostly remain under the sand but will venture out at night to eat and go straight back under the sand. shedding shells is just a natural thing for nass snails.

Do you have any pictures? I just find it odd that there would be no mention anywhere on the internet of this happening with any snail species.

fail_hurdles.jpg

11918628001189254064763.jpg

think y'all need to do some research. nass snails grow by shedding shells and growing new ones. happens all the time in my tank. what i have to say is dont worry about the snail. it will grow another shell.
Edited by r20crazy

... dont really appreciate the feedback... but i'll go home tonight and look for one and post a picture. saw one the other day with the shell halfway grown back.

Sexy Shrimp
Some things that people think are impossible are true. For example, everyone knows that mammals don't lay eggs, or have bills like ducks, or are venomous.

Yet a duck-billed platypus has all three.

Its also not a mammal...

Sexy Shrimp
wat?

Yes it is! lol

On further research we are both right. It is has been classified as both a mammal and a marsupial - I wish they'd make their minds up!

kennyboy019
well, in France they would charge like 20 euros for that!

Seriously! No shell to worry about.