SaltCritters.com

overnight standard/overnight express makes a difference?

xplicit

I have bought a lot of corals and fish online. I usually buy enough to get the free shipping. I've noticed most places would use the standard overnight. 100% of the time with standard overnight, I get a dead fish or coral. I'm disapointed in these vendors. Is the free shipping really worth a dead coral or fish? If I knew that they would use standard, I would of paid for express. Has this happened to anyone? These vendors should step up their game and use the better shipping or the free shipping isn't really worth it.

If you're going through FedEx, the only difference between Standard and Priority overnight is that Standard arrives in the afternoon whereas Priority arrives in the morning, at about 10:30AM. The packages aren't treated differently, go on the same planes, etc. As far as UPS or DHL I don't know, I wouldn't deal with them anyway...

I'd guess the problem stems more from packing/general stress issues associated with shipping a live organism packed into a tiny little box across the country than a difference of a couple hours in shipping.

I used to unload the big trucks (53 footers) for UPS at their hodkins distribution center. Let me tell you anything labeled with next day had a big red sticker on it. And it was a rush to get that package off the main sort line and onto a special mini-truck (think golfcart train inside), that came by ever 15 minutes.

In order to make that happen alot of times the the overnight packages where thrown, yes thrown out the semitrailer onto some rollers next to the conveyor belt (mainline).

My boss(es), used to say "I don't care how they get out of the truck, just get them out."

Here's a nice tip, when you ship via UPS put a bottle of cologne or perfume in the box. It will be labeled as hazardous material. No one wants to bust a box labeled hazardous material.

P.S. for the love of your god(s) don't package it with a wood frame, or a wood box. They don't flex under handling and transport. Every wooden box/frame was destroyed. They just don't work.

EDIT: Just realized that did not answer anything you asked about on topic, so consider this post informatively off topic.

UgoneBannas

I think what he means by standard shipping, is shipping by 3:00pm (UPS Next day air saver). Express is by 10:30am (UPS Next day air).

Archived