Pod Your Reef

It's an anemone, hopefully it can finally be identified

TheCurriculum

TheCurriculum

link to post with current Pic

*edit 1 - old topic title Help identifying Freebie filter feeder coral to "Is this still a candy cane coral?

*edit 2- topic again - Is this still a Candy CaneCoral to "Is this still a Candy Cane - NOPE!

*edit 3 Topic Description - to Definately an anemone, it's moving around

*edit 4 Topic Title It's an anemone, hopefully it can finally be identified

Description After months of growth it's finally looking big enough to identify

link to post with current Pic

Got a couple free loaders on a LR... Sometimes it's a good thing to get some free loading free riders along the way

1. filter feeders with 8 feathers

2. hanging out under the lip of the LR

post-3345-1212339383_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ones on the left are either clove polyps(Clavularia) or anthelia IMO. I think if they were Xenia they'd be branching. The one on the right is a real treat, looks like a Caulestrea. Google those and see if you agree.

Got a couple free loaders on a LR... Sometimes it's a good thing to get some free loading free riders along the way

1. filter feeders with 8 feathers

2. hanging out under the lip of the LR

post-3345-1212339383_thumb.jpg

the bigger one looks just like the clove coral I have in my tank

The ones on the left are clove polyps and the one on the right looks like a candy cane or maybe a chalice.

TheCurriculum

I have some pusling xenia on the other side of tank, and these do'nt move...

I'll dig some more but yardboy looks pretty close on the fans, search search search and search some more ... but hey you get to look at some cool stuff while your at it so it's not really work

If that is Caulestrea that would be a treat ... :D

it's about as big around as a pencil eraser so I can' good that good of a look at it.

It does seem to have the correct layout and form as some pics I searched here and out on google ...

I guess only time will tell on that one for me ...

I'll try and get some better pics of just that with some more detail ....

THK'S GUYS !

TheCurriculum

OK,

My buddy picked me up a 99 cent mini tri-pod last night ... so here's a pic you can actually see

I'd say give me some Candy

post-3345-1212414411_thumb.jpgpost-3345-1212414395_thumb.jpgpost-3345-1212414401_thumb.jpg

post-3345-1212414405_thumb.jpg

TheCurriculum

Umm is this still a Candy Cane?

2 more days of growth and now finger extenstions have appeared ....

post-3345-1212613155_thumb.jpg

circusordie16

dont think thats a candy cane, ive never seen a candy cane with its flesh attached to a rock. the latest picture looks like a duncan but im not sure.

Are they there all the time or just when the lights are out? Mine sends out feeders at night about 30 min. after the lights go out. I have never taken a close up shot of it to see if they look like that.

BTW I love your cloves. Mine fell down into a branchy rock & I can only see the tips of a couple of them.

TheCurriculum

Well if it keeps growing at this rate, we'll have a better idea by Friday

When I got the rock a week ago this was just a smudge, so it's growing like gang busters ...

Yesterday it looked like some extensions were starting to form but it wasn't clear...

Today as in the pic it's right there in front,

They have been out all day today (around 7 hours or so when the pic was taken)

TheCurriculum

Thks' BibleSue, I like the way this rock looks with the cloves bobing around on it.. in a couple of months I'm going to get a small zoo frag, break it up and put a few heads around a few stems at the base and let it build up over time (well a long time, but hey it's fun to watch). I think it would make a neat zoa rock.

I'm going out to my car in a bit for a break and I will grab my mini-tripod, I should be able to get a better pic with the camera on it ...

circusordie16

the feeders on my candy canes are clear with a definitive end and tapered shape. these ones look blunt and kinda oddly shaped. i have a good picture somwhere but i cant find it right now.

Nope, doesn't look like a candy-cane now. Their tenttacles arise from the central area, not the rim. Does it have a skeleton? If not, my vote is now for a zoanthid or worse, a majano anemone.

TheCurriculum

Here's a couple of better shots all mixed ontop of one another ...

At this rate I'm sure I'll be able to get a better picture tomorrow due to it's growth

I"m going to poke around and take a look at some more majano pic's as this doesn't look like the first couple that I saw, but that doesn't mean much since I'm the one comparing it :huh:

post-3345-1212618078_thumb.jpg

Do the stalk & base have that green tone? I have lots of zoas in my prop tank but none that are that color. at the base.

Do you know how to frag zoas? Is this for a school tank?

TheCurriculum

Please don't be bad ....if this is a majano or other nasty I will most likely bring the rock back to the LFS and have them inject it and kill it for me .... This way no chems in my little tank... From what I've read hot water won't work if it's a majano...

BibleSue,

Tank is a picotope 3g at my work (hyperlinked in sig to member topic)

I've never fraged anything, but had tons of prop in my old (as in years ago) 2.5g

If the color question is on the clove, they are the same color top to bottom

if the question of color is on the unkown bugger you are seeing everything that I can (+ more). I'm color blind so couldn't tell ya for sure what color it is. B)

side note: usually someone will post and ask so what do you see? so I'll just add it here ...

I am partial color blind -- example .. blue and purple are the same color to me it just varies in shading, same with green and brown... \ orange and yellow... \ etc... I still see color just not the range of it all

Which is why a basic green \ brown coral doesn't do much for me b\c it doesn't pop out to the eye

Now the "Hulk" green \ purple ric I got says hey look at me :D

Oh! Now that's a problem! I was talking about the mystery guy. I'm interested to find out what it is. I'll be shocked if it is a zoo.

LMK if you decide to cut up a rock of zoas to put around the base of the rock. I can give you some tips if you want them.

TheCurriculum

oh I would definitaly love the tips on the zoo LR cutting ... I'll ping you back when I'm to that point :D (got to get my 14BC up and running first)

Tune in tomorrow for some more exicetment on "The Unkown Mystery Coral of the 3g PicoTope"

Will it be viscous and multiply like tribbels ?

Will it be kind and rewind ?

Will it withstand boiling water and sway in your face ?

Well most likely it will just be bigger and I'll have a better pic ... C Yall Tomorrow

That's either a duncan or a majano. Push down on it a bit lightly and see if you can get a picture of it while it's stressed and retraced, if it's got a hard skeleton then it's a duncan, if not it's some kind of anemone.

If it's a majano the only tried and true way to get rid of it is a pair of needlenose pliers, take it and a bit of the rock under and around it. I've tried everything else and have only had 100% success with that method!

I say its a duncan, because the tips of the polyps on the majano are bulb shaped. Thats a nice hitchhiker if it is a duncan :D

some of the tips in the pictures ARE bulb-shaped.

If it is a mojano, it is a nice looking one. I like the color on it a lot better than the standard brown ones.

dsoz

TheCurriculum

Morning everyone... hmmm it actually is just a bit bigger ... Well I poked at it and it's PO'ed

Here's a couple pics I'll try and get a few more clean shots of it

post-3345-1212677891_thumb.jpg

Archived