inTank Media Baskets

It's an anemone, hopefully it can finally be identified

TheCurriculum

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheCurriculum

Hmmm,

I came in and thought I saw what looks like a dead anemone in the back of tank or way distressed one anyways. I looked on the hitch hiking rock and it's nowhere to be seen, then came the hmmmm... The anemone is on a small rock in the front of the tank. So I don't know what is on the sand bed in the back of the tank. The camera battery died so i only got a few shots in....

I think sometime this week I may just go get a tiny breeder box or similar item that has a lid. Once I have that I will quarantine the anemone until I can ID it for sure.

post-3345-1213717966_thumb.jpg

It's still growing :huh:

post-3345-1213717961_thumb.jpg

ocean_of_mirth

As long as you focus on nutrient export and don't overfeed it could be okay -- one biologist reefer had an aiptasia in his tank for a year and never had it reproduce, while others fight never-ending battles against the things. Frequent water changes would be good.

I was just dealing with myrionema hydroids -- I thought they would never go away but when the fish died after a power outage, the myrionema seem to be on their way out without the nutrients in the water from the 3 fish.

The myrionema spread from one frag (where I didn't know what they were) to covering large parts of the tank during one period where I didn't change the water.

TheCurriculum

picked up a two way Lee's breeder, just not using the divider, and dropped the hitch hiker in it.

I can live with the breeder floating for a while to find out what it is ....

I'll take a pic end of the week if there's been enough growth to warrant it

• 1 month later...
TheCurriculum

The anemone is still in my tank and has been out of the breeder for a few weeks. Brought it by a couple of the local lfs, got pretty much the same responce. "If it stops growing in size it's a rock anemone, if it keeps growing then it's a bubble ...."

Both said if it is a rock anemone, no harm no foul. If you stress them enough, rock crushing it or jacked water params for a period of time then it might start to multiple. Both LFS's statement, if you leave it in and it goes nutty don't blame us :P

Can't really get a good pick of him right now. He's at the back of the tank mounted under the lip of the HOB next to the intake pipe. Been moving back and forth across the HOB lip for about 2 weeks now. At least it seems to have settled to this area.

post-3345-1216828736_thumb.jpg

post-3345-1216828726_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
TheCurriculum

Ike is over and the tank is up, got a couple pics of the anemone now that it's grown some.

I will try and get a side shot later

Any guesses as to what it is now...

post-3345-1226434083_thumb.jpg

post-3345-1226434075_thumb.jpg

post-3345-1226434401_thumb.jpg

majano_anemone.jpg

Description: Majano anemone. Multiplies too fast.

Filesize: 42.43 KB

Viewed: 9249 Time(s)

majano_anemone_548.jpg

Identification picture from reefs.org

TheCurriculum

At this point the anemone has yet to sting anything, it's now 6 months old.

The anemone has made a few moves during this time, each time placing it self next to other corals, without adverse effects. In it's current location it is always in contact with a few zoo's

Now the very silly question of do I keep it since it's never multipled and it leaves everything alone. Yet it could get P.O.ed at any point and start spawing and stinging. More then likely it will be time for a bottle of Joe's in a few weeks.

jazthree3,

There a lot of threads about these guys, more threads then not are get rid of it.

My thanks to everyone who helped out on the thread :happy:

Archived