Cultivated Reef

"Fiddler Crabs"

OziD

From what I've read, Fiddler crabs are freshwater crabs.

This type of crab is commonly named Fiddler in LFS's (i've seen it named this in two different ones, but I am convinced it's wrong).

Anyways, I got a couple of them because my guy said they are just scavengers, and I need some better looking scavengers.

After talking with my friend, he said they might not be reef safe, so I'd like to know what kind they actually are, and more importantly, if they are okay in my reef?

They're pretty docile so far. although I think I caught one going after some christmas tree worms. Any Ideas?

(not mine, but they are exactly the same as mine. I got the pics from another ID thread somewhere else.)

red_crab_4.JPG

red_crab_1.JPG

Scott Riemer

Not a huge fan of Wikipedia but:

A fiddler crab, sometimes known as a calling crab, may be any of approximately 97 species of semi-terrestrial marine crabs within the genus Uca. The fiddler crabs sold in pet stores generally come from brackish water lagoons. Because they live in lower salinity water, pet stores may call them fresh-water crabs. Regardless what you are told, they cannot survive indefinitely in fresh water. Try to purchase crabs that have not been stored in fresh water more than a few days. Pick individual crabs that are perky and active and that have all their claws and legs. If you live in a coastal area you may be able to find fiddler crabs in mud and sand inlet beaches and marshy area at low tide.

Males will have one much larger claw.

Archived