Pod Your Reef

Chiller for RSM

unbeatablebonz

unbeatablebonz

Hello All,

I want to purchase a chiller for my RSM. What should I be looking for? The set up is in a room that has an ambient temp of around 74. It s a nursery for twins due to enter our lives in Late Sept early October (fingers crossed). So, I am sure that, come winter, they extra heater will be on to keep the babies "cozy".

I would like to have the RSM up and running b4 they arrive. I know it's a work in progress. Just a slow head start is all. I have not yet set her up & I have read thru a bunch of threads. Any newbies have any suggestions in addition to the wealth of knowledge.

Thanks in advance

Mike

RSM manual recommends a 1/10 chiller. So far there's only one member thread I have found with an RSM owner with a chiller. No else seems to be running one. I'm also planning on buying one soon, just need some more $$$

unbeatablebonz
RSM manual recommends a 1/10 chiller. So far there's only one member thread I have found with an RSM owner with a chiller. No else seems to be running one. I'm also planning on buying one soon, just need some more $$$

Thanks.

For that size tank you will need at least a 1/15 hp chiller.

Thanks

aero_reefer777

I have the JBJ mini-arctica (1/15hp , ~$350) chiller for my red sea max. I live in So Cal close to the water, so I have no air conditioning. The ambient temp in my condo has been 85 deg + a number of afternoons. Even in those conditions, the chiller has not had a problem holding 76 deg (what it is set at). I have a digital thermometer that is always within 1 deg of the chiller setting.

Side note: RSM in the baby's room? I know it will make your late nights more enjoyable, but the ambient noise is something to consider.

Good luck & enjoy the RSM - we love it!

unbeatablebonz

Yeah, we are putting her in the living room instead. Now there will be 3 tanks, 3 parrot cages and a couch (if I can find it).The temp in the room is generally between 74 - 78. DO you think I need the chiller?

aero_reefer777

I believe in the back of the RSM owners manual that they specify tank temperature (with & without optional cooling fan) versus ambient room temperature. If you keep your room temp closer to 75 you probably will be fine.If it is frequently 78 or more, you will likely see tank temps of 82 or more. You could always set it up for a month and monitor your temps before you invest in a chiller. Keep in mind that running a chiller might add $10 a month to your electrical bill alone. If you have a large house to cool, the chiller is probably more economical.

Archived