Top Shelf Aquatics

Texan's 10G: UPDATE 9/16

irishtexan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
irishtexan

Sorry for the hold-up! I was having some problems uploading the pics, but I finally figured it out. I also added 1 head of pink and green tipped frogspawn yesterday. Its still pretty PO'd but its starting to open up now.

FTS:

IMG_02532.jpg

SPS frags:

IMG_0254-1.jpg

And last but not least, my beautiful crocea clams!! :D

IMG_02562.jpg

LMK what you think!

-texx

I Ate A Cake

Really nice. Much cleaner than my 10G. :P

How is the Whisper working out for you? I would have never thought of that for extra filtration in a SW tank. Let me know, because I think I can configuer something out of that.

gulfsurfer101

That is turning out to be a pretty sweet little tank. How often do you do your water changes in there. I recently set up something similar by just using one of those ten gallon tanks from wal-mart making my own little over flow box in the corner out of a $2.50 peice of acrylic from home depot and placeing a HOB filter stuffed with the sponge from my AP 12g for detrius. I was wondering also is that just a standard ten cause it looks like a million bucks. Nice frags too.

irishtexan

Thanks guys! :)

PerculaClown-Yeah I really like it, it helps to keep the water crystal clear. I am using it because since this tank is set-up like a pennisula, I couldnt have anything hanging on the long sides, and there isn't room on the end for a HOB filter cause of the SunPod mounting legs. So yes, its definately worth the ~$12

gulfsurfer101-Thanks for the compliments! I do about a 1.5-2G water change every Saturday. That way everything stays in line. Yeah it is just a plain jane 10G AGA tank that I bought at Petco for like $8. It is really starting to come together, and my plan is to let the frags grow out into large colonies. If I can be patient :mellow:

eklikewhoa-Thanks!

-texx

I Ate A Cake

Hmm, interesting. I may try it out on my 10G. It just finished its cycle, so I may have to run it on something else for a while. One of my powerheads isnt working out, so this may work. Thanks!

I Ate A Cake

Two more questions...

-Do you just have the regular cartridges/sponge in the filter? I imagine I could pop some macro in there, but I am curious as to what you do.

-Whisper 10i?

irishtexan

Yeah I just use the normal cartridge. But there is definately room in there for some macro but you would need to have some way to light it. I have the Whisper 10 which takes the medium sized cartridges.

-texx

irishtexan

Just thought I would give this thread a little bump to keep it off the third page :scarry:

Ok everyone, I am looking for some acro frags, and some milli frags. But if anyone has any SPS frags at all, and are willing to ship please PM me.

Thanks!

-texx

irishtexan

Just reviving this thread before it gets bumped to the 5th page! :eek:

I will hopely post new pics later today. The tank just hit 9wks on Saturday.

-texx

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Im sorry I havent posted in so long. Things have been pretty crazy. I have added some stuff, one being Sargassum Macro that I found while at the beach. It was a lucky find since most of it is dead, or dying so I guess I just got lucky this time! :happy:

I will try to post some pics later today.

-texx

Hello guys,

I will hopefully get new pics up in the next few days. I now have a Percula clown cause the Ocellaris jumped while I was on vacation. I like the perc. alot better too. Im thinking about adding another Percula clown to keep mine company, and to hopefully pair up. Right now all he does is swim in the corner I put the food in.

-texx

Hey Everyone!!! :happy: Its been soooo long since I have updated this thread.

Unfortunately the Occ. Clown jumped while I was on vacation, so I replaced him with a True Percula. I also changed around one whole side of the tank where the small "island" was. The xenia was really starting to stretch out to be closer to the light and it was about to start migrating to the large "island" so I moved it to the top of the large "island" where it is the closest thing to the light.

I took out all the rock that made up the small "island" and replaced it with one small rock and a little colony of zoanthids. I am hoping to eventually have a little zoa garden all around it.

On Saturday I picked up a second Percula clown and they seem to be getting along great. I also added a really nice GBTA but it wasnt open for the pics, so pics of that later! :)

On to the pics!

Front:

IMG_0878.jpg

Side:

IMG_0876.jpg

Back:

IMG_0875.jpg

Here is the new little "island." It looks a lot less crowded now.

IMG_0882.jpg

Just a pic of my new zoa's and starfish!

IMG_0884.jpg

Please let me know what you think!

-texx

Fishheaded- Thanks! Yeah a lot of people say "70w Metal halide isn't strong enough to keep clams under" but mine have been doing great. All I do is dose with b-ionic daily and that keeps my calcium in check. It might get harder to maintain the levels once they start getting larger but right now its not.

Archived