Cultivated Reef

? about ac filter

TheMako

If I am going to use the filter floss on the AC filter should i put in the other things that came with the filter like the carbon bag?

i don't see why not but it's strictly your choice. some people don't recommend carbon use (i do) but it's personal preference imho.

there are some media you shouldn't bother using though, like the zeolite (white granules) often packaged with some carbon. this is strictly for fw use.

but i recommend carbon because it's a cheap and effective wide-spectrum chemical adsorber. our reefs can produce compounds that can build up over time to affect the livestock within. usually, in a bigger setup the greater volume and aggressive filtration often found in them can deal with the chemical compound buildup.

whereas in nanos, a little tiny coral fart in an elevator-situation tank can be devastating! post-1446-1211473969.jpg

coral farts! lol So that is what those bubbles are. :)

+1 on running carbon. Only thing you need to watch is if you usually do not run carbon... Just dont dump a bunch into your filter. This can actually burn your tank inhabitants. So you need to gradually increase your amt of carbon over a few weeks. Then stick to the final amt of carbon.

Archived