Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TJ's Office Solana - Better pics 09/25/09

TJ_Burton

I have had it for almost a year, probably a year in August. It has grown a fair bit since I got it. I actually used putty to attach it to a rock and it has since encrusted over the rock.

Lots of folks told me it would die, but then again they probably just assumed it would cause it was a sea fan.

those folks probaly thought it was a non photosynthetic gorgo but i think sea fans from florida are photosynthetic like urs.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As promised I am posting some pictures taken with a real camera. They aren't that much better though lol... Apparently I forgot how to use the camera while I was snowboarding - one too many falls I'm guessing :P

Here is how the tank looked after some serious TLC after I got back (probably a month ago).

IMG_0324.jpg

Some pictures of the tank how it is now.

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

This monti is COVERED in planaria... I dipped it in iodine and hundreds came off... I think every flatworm in the tank was on that monti. It's supposed to be a rainbow - hopefully it comes back!

IMG_0534.jpg

Some shots with the PCs one actinic, one 50/50.

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

Hope you like.

Holy flatworms. Hopefully that piece will recover.

I'm pretty sure it will be fine. It is still polyping up, tissue loss is around the polyps - not actually the polyps themselves.

Really, I am just hoping those little bastages are gone! I have never seen flatworms attack a coral like that before.

• 2 months later...

Been a little while since I updated this thread.

Been a few months. mag levels are in check and now the back of the tank is almost completely covered in coraline algae. Got some new editions, tiny derasa and a tiny Potters angel (hopefully he behaves).

Took some photos of the tank's current state on my iPhone. They aren't too pretty but it gives an idea of where it is at right now. Might be tearing it down when I do my tank at home though. Not sure I want to keep looking after this aquarium once I set one up at the house.

Here they are:

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0146-1.jpg

Looks really neat! What did you change the lighting too as you took some pictures with Powercompacts only? No more discoball? Good work TJ

Looks really neat! What did you change the lighting too as you took some pictures with Powercompacts only? No more discoball? Good work TJ

I had changed the light to a 24" Aqualight Pro 250w MH (14,000K) with PC actinics. One PC is actually a 50/50. I also retrofitted the moonlighting from a sunpod into the Coralife unit cause I like the sunpod LED moonlights better.

I might sell the fixture when I tear the tank down. Not too sure yet.

Cleaned the tank up a bit. Removed the mother colony of the green Montipora spumosa since it had brown polyps that were huge and fluffy covering up the color of the coral lol. I still have a big frag of it in the tank from an accidental fragging a while back. Also removed one plate coral and a big rock of rather drab zoanthids. Added a nice blue stag - a little faded right now but has a lot of potential. Threw a pic of the orange monti in there, started off as a little 1" stick of a frag. Looking pretty decent now.

Forgive my camera work, used the company cam and didn't bother to use manual settings so the color is a little off.

FTSangle.jpg

Frontcenter.jpg

OrangeMonti.jpg

Archived