Coral Vue Hydros

TJ's Office Solana - Better pics 09/25/09

TJ_Burton

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The tank looks amazing, How big is that clam?

Clam is 6.5" according to my ruler. Pretty big in my books, I usually have a very hard time finding a maxima over 2"

AcroporaLokani
Clam is 6.5" according to my ruler. Pretty big in my books, I usually have a very hard time finding a maxima over 2"

Yea, most of the clams sold now a days are farm raised and small. That clam was an awesome find.

I like the new tank dude!

Watch that fungia, IMO. I see alot of potential for it to end up face-down over a weekend.

I'm trying to catch up on the tank threads, but there's so many!

- Josh

I like the new tank dude!

Watch that fungia, IMO. I see alot of potential for it to end up face-down over a weekend.

I'm trying to catch up on the tank threads, but there's so many!

- Josh

The fungia actually doesn't sit flat (which is why it isn't on the substrate), it has a curve, or lip in it's body so it hugs the edge of that rock pretty well.

Hopefully it stays put!

• 2 weeks later...
Love the tank TJ, followed it from the beginning, it's just gorgeous!!!

-DCG

Thank you for following along!

***Update***

Well, so far this 150w 14,000K Disco ball has served me well... However, I have decided to upgrade my lighting. There is two primary reasons for this. First reason being my clam on the bottom is starting to lose some of it's symbiotic algae (bleaching). It hasn't gotten anywhere near being a serious issue, but I would also like to keep it from getting there. Second reason is that I am not getting enough spread, and if I raise the ball, I don't get enough penetration. My acros for the most part are doing very well. Although, I am losing a tad of color on those further away from the center of the tank. The only real answer there is to go for a 250w MH. I am thinking about the Current USA 24" 250MH/HOT5 combo like some others have gone to. Either that, or a 250w Sunpod.

For now I may just throw on the spare Coralife 150w clip on pendant I have in the basement.

I will update again once I have the new lighting.

Great tank and thread. It has definitely been one of the threads (of many) that has steered me towards the Solana tank. I would like to know a little more about your refugium conversion, as this is my main concern for having an AIO. I would like a refugium capable of producing enough pods to feed a dragonet or similar feeding style animals. Do you think this conversion would allow for adequate growth of these? I will also be interested in your final choice on lighting upgrade since the 24" Outer Orbit fixtures, which have the HQI, T5, and LED's, overhang the tank by a couple of inches, and the 20" Sunpod doesn't have T5 for actinic lighting. Anyhow, Im still a reef amateur so thanks for the time and input.

Great tank and thread. It has definitely been one of the threads (of many) that has steered me towards the Solana tank. I would like to know a little more about your refugium conversion, as this is my main concern for having an AIO. I would like a refugium capable of producing enough pods to feed a dragonet or similar feeding style animals. Do you think this conversion would allow for adequate growth of these? I will also be interested in your final choice on lighting upgrade since the 24" Outer Orbit fixtures, which have the HQI, T5, and LED's, overhang the tank by a couple of inches, and the 20" Sunpod doesn't have T5 for actinic lighting. Anyhow, Im still a reef amateur so thanks for the time and input.

I doubt that the tank produces enough pods to sustain a dragonette sp. unfortunately. I rely on the fuge mostly for the added filtration from my chaeto and LR. All I did was remove all the contents from the center chamber and fill it half way with porous LR, and top it off with a ball of chaeto. I added a Current 18w Strip to the back of the tank to light the fuge. It is held on with industrial velcro.

tank looks awesome! thats a nice looking clam too! where'd you pick it up if you don't mind me asking?

A local LFS called Big Al's Aquarium Services. They have an online store as well, but they don't ship livestock. www.bigalsonline.com

I get a lot of supplies from them.

I doubt that the tank produces enough pods to sustain a dragonette sp. unfortunately. I rely on the fuge mostly for the added filtration from my chaeto and LR. All I did was remove all the contents from the center chamber and fill it half way with porous LR, and top it off with a ball of chaeto. I added a Current 18w Strip to the back of the tank to light the fuge. It is held on with industrial velcro.

I a very simular setup and wanted some feedback on the fuge. In chamber #2 I have a filter pad above the top drip plate before the chaeto and LR. Do you have additional filteration? Also I'm a fan of Chemi-pure elite and have some at the bottom of Chamber #2 I need to move it (wasn't a good idea) I was thinking of moving it to chamber #3 bottom opening that runs into #2 any thoughts on this?

Thanks for sharing your tank!

I a very simular setup and wanted some feedback on the fuge. In chamber #2 I have a filter pad above the top drip plate before the chaeto and LR. Do you have additional filteration? Also I'm a fan of Chemi-pure elite and have some at the bottom of Chamber #2 I need to move it (wasn't a good idea) I was thinking of moving it to chamber #3 bottom opening that runs into #2 any thoughts on this?

Thanks for sharing your tank!

I too am using a "pad" at the top of the 2nd chamber, but I removed the original and bought a very course foam pad. This way it doesn't clog up so fast, and only removes the larger particles. Also, it is easy to rinse out a coarse pad. If need be, I can always through a 10 micron pad over top of it for the day if I have too many particulates in the water.

I am not running any sort of carbon or resin at the moment, but I am going to start to very soon. I too would suggest putting it in chamber 3 rather then in the fuge. I don't have any room in chamber 1 because I left the skimmer there, and added a heater.

Hope that helps :)

AdriftQuasar

I have always been impressed with your tanks and this one is no exception. Now that I have the lighting to sustain SPS corals and clams, I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to give you and some other members (SPS20, PurpleUP, ezcompany, and others) some competition, or at leasts that's the goal. Thanks for being a source of information and inspiration.

I have always been impressed with your tanks and this one is no exception. Now that I have the lighting to sustain SPS corals and clams, I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to give you and some other members (SPS20, PurpleUP, ezcompany, and others) some competition, or at leasts that's the goal. Thanks for being a source of information and inspiration.

Thank you very much. :) I really strive to do my best and it is always nice to hear when someone enjoys my work as much as I do.

I would love to see what you can do! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever have any questions.

• 1 month later...

Alrighty,

I have done a lot to the tank since the last photos and I feel that before this tank leaves my possession, I should take some photos of how it looks now.

I have 4 clams in the tank at this point - Teardrop Maxima, Recovering Derasa, Baby Squamosa, Crocea

as well as some new SPS. I have also added 5 Blue Eye Cardinals, a cucmber and a Yellow Assessor.

Well, I should just get the pics up and you can see the additions... lol

I will try to smuggle my camera into work this week and post them up shortly.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Any updates PIctures etc etc

Guess what I am taking care of again? THIS SOLANA!!!

It looks way different now... unfortunately when I came back the tank was algae ridden and had more then a few losses. A couple that stung the most where the baby squamosa, and the green and purple acros...

But I have since cleaned the hell out of it and tried to re build it a bit - doesn't look that great right now but it will soon :)

TJ, your tank looks amazing. The rock work is sick!

I have a few questions about you converting the center chamber to a fuge. Did you keep the bio-balls in the skimmer riser? Did you ever add carbon? How much LRR did you use?

Thanks and I look forward to more pics.

• 2 weeks later...
TJ, your tank looks amazing. The rock work is sick!

I have a few questions about you converting the center chamber to a fuge. Did you keep the bio-balls in the skimmer riser? Did you ever add carbon? How much LRR did you use?

Thanks and I look forward to more pics.

I ditched ALL the bio-balls. They are tiny detritus traps that produce stupid amounts of nitrates and have EVIL written all over them. I did keep all the coarse sponges because they help remove junk and are easy as pie to clean; I clean them weekly.

I do run chemical filtration to help combat any chem-wars the corals may be trying to start. I usually use Chemi-Pure Elite, but sometimes just use reef grade carbon.

Regarding the center chamber conversion, I filled the chamber 1/3 with LR rubble and then another 1/3 with Chaeto. This way the chaeto has room to grow. Keep in mind, if you use really small LRR you are going to have detritus problems in that chamber. Try to use pieces 2" to 3" in size.

Hope that answers your questions!

Sorry for not uploading pics yet - my girlfriend stole my camera on me and I haven't uploaded them off of the card yet! :P

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I took some quick shots with my iPhone to post for the time being.

The rockwork changed quite a bit - not as fond of it now, but whatver. Corals seem to be doing quite well except one monti (big brown ball bottom left) and a table acro that I got in really poor condition which Is actually starting to come around after about a 33% tissue loss from RTN.

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

I will post some better ones from my actual camera later.

how long have u had the sea fan and is it growing? love the tank :)

I have had it for almost a year, probably a year in August. It has grown a fair bit since I got it. I actually used putty to attach it to a rock and it has since encrusted over the rock.

Lots of folks told me it would die, but then again they probably just assumed it would cause it was a sea fan.

Archived