Top Shelf Aquatics

Red Sea Max and Chillers

reefdork

I just completed initial setup or my RSM and am waiting for the first cycle to complete. It i located in a windowless room on the second floor of my townhouse. I am expecting that I will have ambient temperature problems unless I set my central air to a frigid temperature. I figure this is not the best way to control temperature.

Does anyone have any experience with chillers and an RSM and can you recommend a good chiller? I have been looking at the JBJ Nano chiller, the 1/15hp rated for 40 gallons.

I have the optional hood fan installed, by the way.

Thoughts?

PM StevieT

theres my two cents...

if you need to find his name he has a water changing guide up at the top of beginners forum

he is very helpful and had a very nice RSM

haha, nice

The thing with the RSM is that if you can not keep your room bellow around 74 ish, there are not many options but a chiller. You can try a fan to the left of the stock skimer (if you choose to keep that junky thing). You can also try putting a stronger transformer on the rear fan, stock is 7V, say go up to 9V DC.

Test it out before you buy a chiller, a cycle is a great time to figure everything out with a tank since you don't have to worry about killing anything.

If you are going above 82* in tank temps, then you may need a chiller, fans will not be enough.

I DO NOT have a chiller on my tank, yet it is housed in my office where I do not pay the electric bill and can keep the AC on in the day, if it were in my house that I let run upwards of 79-80* in the daytime, then yes, a chiller would be needed.

oh, it is cheaper to buy a chiller, than pay to AC the entire room. Test it out first, I have never owned a chiller before so I can't be of any help there.

I'm interested in getting a chiller for the RSM as well. Anyone got any experience with any? I can keep my temps below 82 degrees but I'm already noticing my electric bill start to go up. I think it would be cheaper in the long run to have a chiller. Anyone have any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
bump ...

I only found one RSM member's thread here that had a chiller but I was unable to find it again. I'll try and search again tonight and post the link here because I want to buy a chiller just to reduce my electrical costs.

Urchinhead

pick up a 1/15 HP chiller. JBJ or Current. It will run you about $360ish new and less on ebay. It will bring the temp down about 2 degrees or so. For more go with a 1/10th HP.

I'm in the same boat. I'm in Texas and temps are already in the 90's with heat index in the 100's. I'm keeping my temp in the house at 76 and that is holding my tank temp at 80-81. That is with the back lid open and the front lid open and the back fan going. Cannot keep my house temp at 76 though without a huge bill coming!

So my only dilemma is....if I buy the JBJ or Current then what if I upgrade to a bigger tank in the future? Red Sea is debuting a new 250 (liter, I think) which has me really interested!! So I hate to spend the money and then eventually need a bigger one.

Did I just answer my own question here!!! LOL

I'm in the same boat. I'm in Texas and temps are already in the 90's with heat index in the 100's. I'm keeping my temp in the house at 76 and that is holding my tank temp at 80-81. That is with the back lid open and the front lid open and the back fan going. Cannot keep my house temp at 76 though without a huge bill coming!

So my only dilemma is....if I buy the JBJ or Current then what if I upgrade to a bigger tank in the future? Red Sea is debuting a new 250 (liter, I think) which has me really interested!! So I hate to spend the money and then eventually need a bigger one.

Did I just answer my own question here!!! LOL

Most models have a max gallon listed so yes :P Buy bigger now

I am running the Current USA 1/15 chiller on my RSM right now. But it is also under the nanocustoms 150w HQI lights. It has just started to fire off this weekend.

I just got it (and the RSM) from a member of my local reef club so I don't have a lot of experience with it. Overall I do like that it controls the heat and cooling. What I don't like is that there is another pump (MJ900) in the system heating the water that much more.

Archived