Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sick Fishy

KoAps

Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if my fishy has ich or not... I got two fish yesterday, a Neon Goby and a Strawberry Gramma...

They seemed ok yesterday, the goby seeming to be more stressed then the gramma who swimmed most the day through the live rock and avoiding the shrimps as they cleaned...

This morning when I was awakend by the lights turning on at 7am, I looked into the tank and my gramma had little white dots on him.. I thought oh no, not ich. I waited til the goby came out and he looked ok.. since it was so early and there wasn't much I could do with out the stores being open, I went back to sleep.

When I woke up again around 10, I noticed that the spots on the fish where gone, in fact he looks totally ok and is swimming around...

Now if he does have ich and it's just waiting, how cna I treat the tank without hurting my Mushroom anenome or Shrimps or hermits and snails..?

The Garlic thing sounds interesting, but you are talking about soaking leaves, my two fish have yet to even eat flake food infont of me..

I was thinking of soaking some live brine shrimp in the oil, but I need to give them live brine along to see if they will eat it...

Does the oil just need to be in the water? I doubt that since oil floats on water... maybe the garlic gets into the water but will that work?

(Edited by KoAps at 3:41 pm on Nov. 17, 2001)

(Edited by KoAps at 3:42 pm on Nov. 17, 2001)

welcome to nano-reef.com

it sounds like your cleaners got the fish when he was sleeping

i have not used garlic for anything so i dont know about that question

(Edited by Daniel at 2:57 pm on Nov. 17, 2001)

i wouldn't treat it untill you are positive it is ich because introducing un-necessary medicines to a system can be harmful.

• 2 months later...

My experience with ICH, just had it in my main reef tank, is that the fish look the worst right as the lights go on, then they seem to get better as the day wears on. Or I should say as the parasite falls off and begins reproducing in the sand and rocks. The parasite will easily infest the host fish at night when it is sleeping in the rocks or near the sand.

If it is in fact ICH and it is a mild case garlic may work as it helps build up the slime coat on the fish and the parasite cannot attach as easily. Soak you fish food in garlic juice or garlic extract and then feed. Your fish may be able to fight it if if it is mild. If it gets worse you need to remove the fish to quarantine tank and treat with hyposalinity or medication such as a copper treatment. Hypo is better on the fish, they don't even care about it. Leave your tank fishless for 30 days or more, keep the fish in salinity of 1.009 for 30 days then slowly raise the salinity back up over the course of 2 weeks. At this point the parasite is removed from your tank and the fishies. If you have any questions about this procedure feel free to email me.

Archived