Coral Vue Hydros

ICH

Korova

Last year my Yellow Tang came down with a mild case of ICH, so I began my online search for methods to help my Tang combat his/or her =) illness. I found a post recommending garlic. I went to a health food store and purchased a bottle of "Garlic Oil" in "Soft Gelcaps". I fed my Tang "Seaweed Selects" so I tore off some for daily feeding and put it in a small bowl, then took one of the "Gelcaps" and cut one end with a knife and dripped the oil over the seaweed. I let this sit for about a half hour then fed it to the Tang. after repeating this I tried cutting his feeding to every other day, so he'd be more hungry and eat the "treated" seaweed faster. After about a week he was back to his old self again... I can't prove it was the garlic oil in his food that helped him fight the illness, but I believe it was.

Christopher Marks

I am a firm beleiver in garlic oil as a treatment for ick.  From my understanding, garlic oil thickens the fishes slime coat, or acts as an artifical slime coat, which helps them fight off the parasites and prevent them from attaching later.

Garlic was tested on dogs and cats as a natural way to fight fleas, and when fed to the dogs and cats, it seemed to work well.  So someone tried it on fish as an artifical slime coat and it worked.

I'm not sure if it is the garlic directly, or just the oil, maybe someone out there knows?

• 3 weeks later...
sergentmajor

Garlic oil is a vector "transporting" as it is or u must add smth else to the food to feed the fish? maybe other types of oils? please answer me

Christopher Marks

I've never tried other oils because I don't know if it is the garlic or the oil that actually helps the fish.

I just add it directly to the food.  Once it is soaked up, I feed it to the fish.  They all have accepted it too.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, after not visiting  this place for a while I went to Abyss Systems is Indianapolis and the first time I walked in there the lead dude was feeding. As he made his way around me (I was checking out a pineapple fish) I could smell the garlic. I asked him "what was up with the garlic" and he said that "it helps control parisitic infections", I said "really", he said "yup". So as stated elsewhere on this forum garlic deserves attention.

• 3 months later...

What does ICH look like? Can anyone post a pic of ICH. I have a domino damsel in a 15 gallon tank that I plan to turn onto a nano reef, the fish has a few with spots on it's dorsal and vertral fins. They seem to be getting larger and a brighter white. I have a 75 gallon tank with lots of fish and corals in it, I has been running for more than a year and I have never seen white spots on any of the fish in that tank. If it is ICH I will try the garlic and freshwater dip method to treat the ICH, any other suggestions? Thanks for listening guys! P.S. Great site, lots of help!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ich appears almost like little grains of salt. If i were you I would take him out and give him a fresh water dip. You have to act quickly because once this parasite is attached it will not come off.

Archived