Cultivated Reef

skin flukes?

jeffsz28

i got a grouper and acouple weeks later i noticed he has skin flukes because he scrapes on the sand. i can't get him out of the 125 and i don't want to treat the tank because of my shark,micro alage and coral line alage. i soak their food in garlic and it seemed to help but he still scrapes alittle bit and he doesn't really show any signs of marks anymore. how can i get rid of it without using and meds?

Christopher Marks

Sounds to me like ich or something similar.  It's very common for fish with these diseases to scrape against things.  It's actually an external 'infection' where parasites attach to their skin.  The garlic will probably work well to fight off the parasites too - it always worked for my fish.  If it doesn't recover in the next few days, you're going to need to remove it and treat it in another tank.

• 2 months later...

Why not get some skunk cleaner shrimp? They work great in my tank to keep the little nasties at bay.

ps whats up with the garlic? does that seriously work? and if so can i use it with small fish ie small clows and firefish?

Archived