$35.00-2x18watt retro light kit from Nanotuners.com
    $5.00-7 Watt stealth Heater
    $12.00-Fan
    $10.00-ac/dc and other fan wiring
    $5.00-digital thermometer
    free using scrap wood-Oak Stand/Canopy
    free from my other tank- Sand/liverock
    Total=$112.00

After a few months of neglect I finally got around to messing with my pico. It has a serious aptasia problem that will have to be dealt with. I took out the larger 4 heads of frogspawn and added a smaller one that had been laying behind a rock in my 14 gallon. It started to bleach so I hope I can bring it back!

IMG_3889.jpg

• Current Livestock:
  • Frogspawn
  • Eagle Eye Zoanthids
  • Radioactive Dragon's Eye Zoanthids
  • Green Lantern Zoanthids
  • blue legged Hermit Crab
  • 12x Ricordea
  • Blastos
  • Superman mushrooms
  • Blue stripped mushrooms
  • Purple and green mushrooms
  • Red Macro algae
  • Green Macro algae

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TANK BUILD

Untitled-1-1.jpg

LIGHT BUILD

I haven't gotten around to finding a good reflector, but for a minor boost I painted the inside of the canopy white.

Untitled-2-1.jpg

FAN BUILD

One of the biggest problems with these little tanks is temperature swings. To remedy this problem I decided to add a fan to my canopy. I chose a 120mm Scythe fan and faced it outward to suck out the heat. 20 min after I installed it the tank temperature went from 85 F to 74 F (there wasn't any livestock in it then so don't worry ;) )

Equipment:

Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan

-Variable voltage 12V/0.20A AC/DC adapter

-DC Jack to 3Pin Fan Adapter

Untitled-3.jpg

I was originally worried about what the noise was going to be, but it turned out to be no worse then my computer, and if I ever want it to be more quiet I can just turn down the power on my adapter and slow down the fan a bit.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I made the mistake of using my pico as a quarantine tank, and I lost almost all of my Ricordia. I freshwater dipped and removed all my remaining corals and they have since been doing fine in another tank. Live and learn I guess :angry: . The sexy shrimp are still going strong, they actually take food right from a pair of tweezers, it is pretty funny to watch.

Now I think I am going to turn it into a macro algae tank.

Man that sucks about the Ricordia. and the sexy shrimp are amazing. This set up is similar to my 5.5 gall

Yeah this set up seems to work well. I have had crazy coralline growth since those picture where taken. My rocks are completely purple now.

• 2 months later...

Well I have started consolidating my 4 tanks into 1 so this tank is on the way out. I will be dismantling it over the weekend. It had a good run, almost up for one year.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Which tank are you moving everything to? A completely new one, or the 25G?

I moved everything to my 25.

Very pretty tank, did you have any probs with moisture and the way your ballast is?

I never had an issue with the lighting, although they would get covered with salt creep pretty quickly.

Archived