Pod Your Reef

.7 Gallon Pico Questions

I Ate A Cake

I Ate A Cake

My Pico project is turning into a "Micro Project." I am custom-building a 10" x 4" x 4" tank, which is appromixtley .7 gallons. I have a few questions to GHP, CUC and lighting.

GHP-

I have found a filter which has 16ghp, and a powerhead that has 80ghp for the lowest flow I could find on each. I orgianlly thought the powerhead w/ impeller shaving, but then I came across the filter. I think I could jam some macro algea into that, but it ony has 16ghp. Which would be the best way to go?

CUC-

Would one or two snails make sense here? I will most likely have like a Zoa Garden or something similar.

Lighting-

I have the options for a 9W and 13W clamp-on light. The answer is pretty obvious here, but I am afraid of bleaching since it is only a 4" deep tank. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Matty1124

its gph (gallons per hour) and i would go with the 16gph one... go with one snail.. and your lights will be fine as long as you light acclimate your corals to the depth... if you havent built it yet i would try and add a sump to it, i had a .8g and it was a pain to try and keep the salinity stable, i would make it a bit deeper as well... once you get your rock in there and a thin layer of sand your zoas will be right at the surface, and if you miss one top off your zoas will be out of the water... how are you planning on heating it?

I Ate A Cake

Oh, thanks for the input. I have not built it yet as we will need someone to cut some glass for us.

I think I will add a built-in fuge like superdupewesman's tank, or possibly just go with a standard 2.5 G and AIO that. I would need to make sure everything would fit though.

Archived