Pod Your Reef

2 new critters found on my LR

mmelnick

I have actually had both of these for a while now, but I would just like to know what they are and if they are harmful. I have no clue what the first thing is, and think that the second may be a sponge of some sort, but they both have wierd openings that seem to filter water or something.

ID1.jpg

ID2.jpg

BustytheSnowMaam

If we are both thinking of the same thing in the pic, those are tunicates. FL live rock?

If we are both thinking of the same thing in the pic, those are tunicates. FL live rock?

Yeah, it is Florida rock. (That rock anyway) I googled turnicates and what I have looks similar to some of those. But they are also starting to become more unevenly shaped.

I also have some that look like this photo but lime green.

Tunicates.jpg

BustytheSnowMaam

Nice! I have single ones like the one on your first pic Shiva. FL live rock is awesome. My son is 4 and he's just learning the names of these creatures- I pointed to it and asked if he remembered what it was called and he says, "Uh, a nudist?" I think he was thinking of the word "nudibranch". :)

^^^LOL! Wait till he tells his pre-school teacher... :)

mmelnick, I believe the first pic might show the tentacles of a sedentary sea cucumber. See this pic:

hidncuke.jpg

from this page:

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?...b09420e426d5375

See also this pic:

HolothurianTentacles.jpg

from this page:

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-j...chinoderms.html

--Diane

Cool, that is exactly what it looks like. I know I have 3 or 4 sea cucumbers in my tank. But I never would have guessed that that was one of them. I can't see any "cucumber" like object that it is comming from. But cool nonetheless. I was just hoping that it wasn't harmful.

Archived