Coral Vue Hydros

Rock/Flower Anemone Lighting?

Fade2White12

Fade2White12

I have a 24g Nano with 80w PC above it. From what I have heard, the Epicystis crucifer is one of, if not the easiest, anemone to keep in a nano reef. I have a top rock about 5" from the surface that has been needing something to put there. I've been seriously considering one of the anemones, preferably a red or other colored one, to be put there.

Would he be fine there?

Tank is a 24g AP and has been set up approximately a year. I also have a variety of Mini Carpets that have been thriving at the bottom of the tank - so since I have been able to easily keep those as such a depth, I assumed a more forgiving anemone like Epicystis crucifer would be fine. Yes/No?

I have a 24g Nano with 80w PC above it. From what I have heard, the Epicystis crucifer is one of, if not the easiest, anemone to keep in a nano reef. I have a top rock about 5" from the surface that has been needing something to put there. I've been seriously considering one of the anemones, preferably a red or other colored one, to be put there.

Would he be fine there?

Tank is a 24g AP and has been set up approximately a year. I also have a variety of Mini Carpets that have been thriving at the bottom of the tank - so since I have been able to easily keep those as such a depth, I assumed a more forgiving anemone like Epicystis crucifer would be fine. Yes/No?

To be honest, I don't know if these Anemones need any special lighting. I have had one for almost 5 years now under weak PCs and he's pretty happy wherever in the tank. He was on my sandbed for the longest time, but he moved onto my liverock sometime in the last year. I'll be moving it to my new 28g in the next week and I'll snap a pic of him then.

BTW - My Rock Anemone is Red with Cream radial stripes.

Fade2White12

Thanks. That's what I was hoping. The problem, though, is finding a decent color. Anyone know where I can get an orange/red one?

try www.sealifeinc.com or .net I forget. You should email them and see if they can get a red one. They are the only site that I seen that stocks them.

Fade2White12

121a, I'm way ahead of you. ;) I emailed them earlier today and they said they only get those colors in very rarely - and probably won't for a while.

I have an email into ReefScavengers too, because they have them on the site but not in stock. Hopefully they can get me one too, since I have some other stuff I'd like to get from there.

Remember, it will probably move from where you put it on the rock. I've kept a few, and they all move from where I put them originally. But once they find a nice spot, good luck getting them to move again, lol. I had one on a rock that I moved live in complete darkness for almost a month before deciding to try and find the light. :rolleyes:

Fade2White12

Right. I have a bare rock at the top of the tank, so I'm hoping he won't want to move from there, as there really is no better place for it. We'll see though. First I have to find one. fingerscrossed

whofeelsitknowsit

There was a seller on ebay -- I can't remember who -- that seemed to always have a variety of colors, and you could request whatever color you want. Maybe do an ebay search for rock anemone and he'll turn up. Good luck.

syntax_error
Remember, it will probably move from where you put it on the rock. I've kept a few, and they all move from where I put them originally. But once they find a nice spot, good luck getting them to move again, lol. I had one on a rock that I moved live in complete darkness for almost a month before deciding to try and find the light.

+1.

Most say the max a rock flower anemone will move is about an inch or two from the place you originally put it. IME, that's not true. I have one that has moved several times to several locations in my tank.

People also say that they don't really have a potent sting. They do. Mine has stung several other corals near it and I have had to rearrage corals several times. Right now he seems to be stable but I regret this buy.

IMO, save the trouble. Buy something else.

Fade2White12

I've contacted both eBay sellers that has any, and neither have anything other than the tan/brown ones. I guess it might be a while. :(

GoingPostal

My pet store tank setup has a white rock anemone and it moves pretty often, stays on the side of the tank with lots of flow but moves around the rockwork. I've had to rearrange things out of it's way several times, hasn't killed any corals but really pisses them off. I had ordered it under the misconseption they didn't move much either. It's under 260 watts pcs in a 12" tank btw. Seems to stretch for the light sometimes when it's salt creeped over but has been in there almost a year.

Rock Anemones dont need light they are strictly carnies.

lol, that's pretty much completely false.

• 2 years later...

They get most of their nutrition from a symbiotic algae (zooxanthallae), which require light for photosynthesis. Therefore, they do need a sufficient amount of light AND a meat diet (mysis, silversides, etc...) to survive. I have heard of some suriving on just food, however, mine has grown about 2 inches in 3 months with both nutritional sources. Hope that helps.

They dont need much light....They will do great under PCs....I kept my brtight green one under my biocube 8 pcs and feed it every two days and it got HUGE...I had to give it away for credit...Gonna get a red one soon...

Archived