Top Shelf Aquatics

Phixion's custom "12 x "16 x "12 AIO tank build

Phixion

Well no new updates unfortunately, I just keep letting this tank go to waste sans top-offs. =/

Today I will begin a vodka dosing regiment in hopes that it'll help clean up this tank. I'll be starting with 0.1mL initially for the first few days then upping it by an additional 0.1mL every few days between till die-off of algae starts to occur at which time I'll continue the dose I'll be at, at that time on a daily basis. Keep your fingers crossed! I'll also relocate my watermelon chalice (which is doing WELL I must say) to my other tank just to be on the safe side.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oye water cahnges!!!!!!!! Well in any case, you finally updated, so yay!

Good luck with the recovery. Stop slacking nad change that water!!!!

C'mon, crank up the WG and do a water change or 10. ;)

10?? I might heed to change filters on the 'ole WG to clean up this mess! :lol:

But yeah BH6, I think, no wait, I KNOW lack of W/C's is at least half the cause... :( I'm seriously considering just going bare bottom with the tank...

I see great potential here again mate! Go commando! How is the skimmer doing now?

I didn't get a chance to clean it out last night. :( Tonight I will however. I still run it when boozing the tank up, right?? :wacko:

Oh God yes! It's a must to run it during boozing! And are you going to go bare bottom on it?

Probably not, all talk, you know?? ;) BUT, I do sometimes ponder if having sand is half my issues?? The bed of black in the SCNRS is less than "1/2 thick! But I'm gonna use the black in the 30g as well, maybe about a half inch in there. Nothing like the pseudo DSB I used to have.

Ironically, the 9002 started spewing some dry foam last night, like out of no where considering it's been dorment for the past couple weeks... <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Got my 9002 all cleaned up and working optimum again, and then began dosing vodka 3 days ago. So far so good, no nasty black skimmate yet though, I think that comes in week 2 anyways...

And no, no pics yet till the tank is cleaned up...

Did you get anything new at MAX????

Hey Annie!! Uhmm, I got a couple zoa frags. A couple things that Er1c-the-reefer gave me and then I bought a Nuk Green frag from a fellow SCNRS member to basically replace the frag I lost during my move a few months ago.

As for a tank update, I'm going to up the dose amount of my daily vodka dosing to the tank... So far no nast skimmate to be had, though my Tunze 9002 skimmer is skimming VERY dry since I've been dosing so far...

It adds organic carbon to your water which the bacteria uses as a 'food' source upping the bacterial load and consequently the DOC's in the water.

Come on Phixion! Photo time!

It adds organic carbon to your water which the bacteria uses as a 'food' source upping the bacterial load and consequently the DOC's in the water.

Come on Phixion! Photo time!

And don't forget to mention that it makes the corals REALLY happy :lol:

You oughta see what drunk fish look like! :lol: Ehh, one of my clows looks like it's dead when it sleeps anyways, so it totally fits in the tank now! :P

Anyways, I'll attempt some pics, but there's nasty on the glass that my scraper just can't scrape off, maybe time for the magic eraser! :unsure:

Since I'm going on week #2, I'll be upping/doubling the dose to 0.2mL starting today. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently dosing 0.8mL of Belvedire. But i think I'm gonna just tear down the tank, toss the rocks in it, remove the sand and give the tank a good scrub down and start it back fresh using a big zoa covered donut shaped rock I have with my 30g tank livestock. It's obviously is an established piece so I'd have zero downtime sans the time spent to swap out and clean the pump, skimmer and tank. I'd rather do this than wait the time it'll take the vodka to work it's magic. Plus it gives me a chance to move the tank onto a "new" stand I got, a BC14 stand I bought from a local reefer. AND I want a clean tank NOW, lol! :P I'm also thinking this time around I'll go bare bottom... Opinions, suggestions?? Also not sure if i should use any of the current tank water, or start completely fresh with all new water.

Archived