Cultivated Reef

Phixion's custom "12 x "16 x "12 AIO tank build

Phixion

AdriftQuasar

Seeing this tank makes me really glad that the plastics manufacturer I found is really excited about selling material to me. I've been knocking around ideas in my head about building some tanks out of 1/2" acrylic and this thread makes me see those ideas much more clearly.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Jay-Sun! B)

Scotty, the Springeri's are another one of my favs. Yeah, I wish I had seen that about the nakeds though. But they were good prices. $35.99 for the naked, and $39.99 for the Indigo *MUCh cheaper than I thought it would be) and 25% off on each ontop of that. ;) Gotta love hookups and well club meet discounts.

Nips, Mike only had ONE in. He was telling me that with the Indigos specifically, a store can only get in ONE at a time for some reason. He had one, I was telling him that I like them, and he was like "oh, I have one here!" I didn't believe till he showed me, lol!

squirrelieygrrrl

very nice matt,

that pesudo is gorgeous!! what are the new frags, i see some zoas, the rest i cant really tell. gimme the digs! =P

~squirrel

Well in some sad news, as some already know, my naked clown passed on last night. :( It had been acting a little strange the past few days, and then after doing a W/C on the tank last night, I found my neon green open brain EATING the poor clown alive! I was able to resue it unharmed, but it only swam around for a few more moments after that and then stopped moving... :tears:

As for new additions, I have indeed added some new zoas, the top pink one being some bright salmon colored polyps, and then next to that is a DBTC (Don't-Break-The-Chain) aquired single head of acan. Also added in a brown face with bright green mouths chalice. Not sure what the name of it is. That's really about all I've added to the tank...

And thank you Squirrel! B)

Sorry about your clown! I've heard all sorts of stories about brains and plates eating fish. I don't know if there's any way to avoid it. :(

Your tank is very beautiful by the way. I see you got that thing jam-packed. :P You might have to get another one. :happy:

Thanks everyone! Yeah, the naked clown definitely did make the tank. But I will have another in there eventually. Since it's passing, the Indigo has been quite scarce. I've only managed to get it to come out by enticing it with food. =/

bummer,

lets hope it isnt some sort of disease.....yikes. ill keep my fingerscrossed for ya.

I hope not!! But the clown didn't look the best when I brought it home, it looked fine at the LFS I got it from though, odd... The Indigo looks good though still! B) Thanks Squirrel!!

squirrelieygrrrl

no prob,

when i was looking at that photo you had taken of it, i thought the same thing that it didnt look so hot. good to hear that the indigo is still lookin good.

best regards

~squirrel

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got a mated pair of new additions to the tank this past weekend. Traded a local reefer a few SPS pieces for these guys, a mated pair of false percs. So far they seem to like their new digs. B) The female appears to be a mis-bared clown which is pretty cool.

onyx_clowns.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm proud to say that this tank is finally metal halified! :D 70w of pure 14,000K Astralux power to be exact! After loaning out the halogen security light fixture I used for the DIY MH project, for him to build a way to hold the light above this tank, I finally received the final finished product last night while at Proraptor2's house when he got his new tank from Advance Acrylic delivered. The stand for the light blew me away. It's basically a type of canopy to hold the light in it is as best as i can describe it. Ever since I had given him the fixture for fitting, I had the ballast and power cable to it all wired and ready to hook up to the fixture. Once getting it back with the new stand, I put in the bulb and attempted to fire it up, but to no avail. I checked up all the connections and nothing. The ballast would buzz when I'd plug it in, and the light would fire for about 2-3 seconds, then shut off. :( I then checked the bulb seating and readjusted that and VIOLA, it fired up and stayed lit! And the ballast isn't actually supposed to buzz. ;) I'm using a Hatch Transformers brand electronic 70w MH ballast for the light. It runs cool to the touch and the light itself isn't terribly hot either, but it's mowerful enough that my fish ran off hiding in the rocks when I tested it out over the tank, lol! Anyways, here's some pics for your viewing pleasure:

BEFORE (using the 40w single 50/50 PC Satellite "20 fixture I had over the tank, the tank is only "12 wide, lol!)

before_MH.jpg

And AFTER (with the MH setup and in place, ALL camera settings are the same as above for accuracy)

after_MH.jpg

I'm pretty sure the bulb wasn't fully warmed up and at it's true color when I snapped the pic as i didn't even wait a minute from startup to when I snapped the pic. It's pretty damn bright though and I like it, but I still don't see the fuss that many have over MH lights... =/ So here's a pic of the whole setup as it looks now, you can see one of my clowns hiding under the frogspawn from the light, haha!

MH_stand.jpg

Thanks Tom! :)

Christel, I will be jealofied if you LEDify your tank... :P:( I'd go LED if it wasn't still so expensive, lol! But I'm digging what I've seen of my MH setup so far, which isn't very much as I haven't been home the past couple days when it's been on, ugh!

• 1 month later...

Nothing to report of recent. Fish are doing good though. Just moved the tank into my new house and lost a couple things from this tank, but otherwise it's doing great so far. The new house is MUCH cooler inside so I don't even have to run a fan over this tank anymore. B) I'll try to get some pics up real soon.

Nothing to report of recent. Fish are doing good though. Just moved the tank into my new house and lost a couple things from this tank, but otherwise it's doing great so far. The new house is MUCH cooler inside so I don't even have to run a fan over this tank anymore. B) I'll try to get some pics up real soon.

sorry you lost a couple things but I'm glad everything else is okay!

Can't wait to see some pics. :)

Archived