ReefCleaners.org

Phixion's custom "12 x "16 x "12 AIO tank build

Phixion

Thanks everyone! :) No problems with adding it all at once, Abe. The key as I've experienced before is that the rock being used HAS to be 100% cured and cycled, only then can a previous tank's livestock all be transfered in at once successfully. I left everything in containers over night when I set the tank up, then tested the water almost 24 hours later to be sure it wasn't going to or have started cycling. Once the params all checked out good, I added everything back in. I forgot to float everything ( :scarry: ) but I haven't had a single piece die on me yet. :) So I can posatively say, so far so good!

Yea, AIO. Its basically half of a 5.5, seperated by an acrylic false back, which the water will flow over and into the other half of the tank where the skimmer, heater, and return pump will be. I am going to make the hood cover half the tank only, so the viewable part will be a top down view, like a zeroedge. I am probably going to light it with a 70w halide, setup like a pendant. I am going to start a thread about it some time soon, it has water and rock in it now.

SDT, I can't wait to see how that setup looks and turns out/grows. The way you plan on doing the hood sounds like a great plan! The light I have over mine right now isn't too bad, pretty bright. But I plan to do a DIY 70w MH retro in the sub $100 range using a security light housing and a cheapy but quality $30 70w ballast. The bulb itself will be the most expensive component. That will surprisingly be my first MH light, and over the smallest tank I've had yet, at that!

What kind of light do you have over it?

Kimberly, The tank is currently lit with a 40w single 50/50 PC Satellite fixture. It's "20 wide, so it hangs out about "4 on each side, but thankfully the legs can slide all the way to the middle for good fitment. :)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SeeDemTails

When you do it, please share where you got the parts and how you did it, I may do the same thing.

Trust me, once you go halide, you never want to go back.

I have the parts list and proceedure for it at home, but I know it utilizes a Brinks brand halogen security light (which can be had from either Lowes or Home Depot), a 70w DE MH bulb (which is direct fit into the stock bulb recepticle on the fixture), the $30 70w MH ballast, and of course a power cord connected to it all. The bulb I'll probably use is either an Astralux or JBJ 14k. it's a simple yet effective DIY retro. :)

The front of the tank:

scnrs_tank1.jpg

I really like the shaved rims and it made the entire tank looks really sleek. But to be honest... I wish you have gone with a hanging 70W metal halide instead. It would be a better match to the stylish tank.

The current lighting on it is temporary since I can't afford ANY lighting for it at the moment, it was from the 10g AGA I originally had in the spot of this tank. But as I mentioned above, I'm going to be working on a DIY 70w MH retro very soon here.

Oh, lol! Yeah. I just scored a new Astralux 14K bulb + ballast today for $80 from a local reefer, just gotta get the Brinks fixture now, YAY! B)

• 3 weeks later...

How the heck did you sneak this one up on me :o :o You friggin ninja :ninja: The tank is really sweet. I love the dimensions and the sleek look. You gotta let me know when you decide to start new tanks... ;)

How the heck did you sneak this one up on me :o :o You friggin ninja :ninja: The tank is really sweet. I love the dimensions and the sleek look. You gotta let me know when you decide to start new tanks... ;)

haha, my bad d00d. Yeah, I LOVE this tank and it's still looking great!!

Advanced Acrylics does do damn fine work! Nicely laid out tank Phixion! Makes me want one for my office!

Yes he does! B)

You oughta inquire about one, I'm sure John would hook you up nicely! ;)

Latest tank FTS, as of last week...

SCNRS_fts_5_6.jpg

Fill size of pic

• 2 weeks later...
Kimberly63

Did you build your light yet? I'm curious to see how it turned out so I can try it too. :) Is it going to hang above your tank or set on the top?

wow that is killer work on those edges... i bet those would take for ever to buff by hand... im in aww of the cunstruction... perfect seems

your tank looks great by the way... maybe ill contact them about making my next tank

wow that is killer work on those edges... i bet those would take for ever to buff by hand... im in aww of the cunstruction... perfect seems

your tank looks great by the way... maybe ill contact them about making my next tank

Thanks! Actually, the edges ARE buffed by hand. This tank along with the other SCNRS custom AIO's that will pop up on NR were all made by hand, edge buffing and all!! I've honestly never seen finer custom acrylic tank work than these tanks.

Looks good, the fill up quick dont they!

Indeed they do unfortunately. :( I don't know what i can physically add next due to the limited space that's left, but my options will open up greatly once the DIY 70w light is done. I'm working to get the remaining parts I need for it (the fixture pretty much) within this coming week. Everything was at a standstill tank wise the past 2 weeks due to me getting married this past weekend.

Did you build your light yet? I'm curious to see how it turned out so I can try it too. :) Is it going to hang above your tank or set on the top?

I wish, but not yet. :( I'm still only with the bulb and ballast so far, lol! I'm working on getting the fixture ordered this coming weekend. :) I'm going to have the light retro'ed to a desk lamp as my plan currently is for it.

Solid.........I have a feeling AdvAcr's phone is going to start ringing with some requests....

hehehe, I hope so! He's a great guy and makes A+++++++++++ products!

You got married!.....Congrats!

We just set a date, march 14 2010!

Thanks! :D

If there's one bit of advice I can give, it's plan and book as much stuff as early as you can. It'll save you A LOT of time as well as money than booking things closer to the date. We got engaged April of last year and had 75% of the stuff booked before the beginning of 2008. The past 2 months infact was mostly idle time of waiting for this past weekend to come. :)

Congrats to you as wel!!

Archived