Top Shelf Aquatics

Red Sea Max Index Thread

StevieT

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had to write in to Red Sea Max this evening.

After adding a sump in the cabinet of my RSM130D barely 2 months ago, the hinges on the cabinet are rusted. I am left wondering if the nuts and bolts of the cabinet will similarly rust away making the cabinet unsafe to carry the weight of my tank. Spending nearly $1000 on this tank and stand should not result in rusted hinges. I am very unhappy.

IMG_20120913_230455.jpg

IMG_20120913_230507.jpg

What did they say?

I can't see the stand being designed to hold a sump as it is not stock to have one. I have a little surface rust on my hinges from having my ATO resivor in there. It is pretty minimal and never worried me. It is covered and received little evaporation.

If possible maybe time to cover your sump.

The structure of the stand wouldn't be in much play from some surface rust. If I remember there are wooden dowel pins as well. The metal pins that go into those locking nuts wouldn't be compromised unless the fiber board was.

The solution to rust and humidy problems is polycarbonic cover nice and easy,or humidy sensor with fans..or just a small fan providing room air to the sump and oxygen exchange.All sumps installations have the same problem.

Edited by ALexpsycho
  • 1 month later...

Hey does anyone have the screw on directional piece for the stock pumps?

I dont know how but I managed to lose one of mine...I guess it wont really matter once I get my sump installed but as of right now I just have the pump sitting in there with the power cord wrapped around the leg of my lights in order to kinda aim the pump KIND OF where I need it to go LOL

then again I also have a maxi jet 900 AND a rio 600 in there for extra circulation so it's not exactly like the tank is missing on water movement LOL

I guess it wont really matter once I get my sump installed

You will still need the pump with the sump. There is no other efficient way of getting water from the back chamber into the DT. An option could be setting the return J tube to pump water into the display but that will get you bubbles.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey fellow RSM'ers,

Im not at all impressed with my TUNZE 9002 Skimmer, its more of a microbubbles show then it is anything else. Ive done the mod and even then its only gotten slightly better.

what are the available upgrade skimmers that will fit in the RSM chamber? im using the intank media basket.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by nsousa
  • 2 weeks later...
You will still need the pump with the sump. There is no other efficient way of getting water from the back chamber into the DT. An option could be setting the return J tube to pump water into the display but that will get you bubbles.

I was going to pull the pumps out and run the return from my sump into the stock return pump area, with the stock return pumps removed I will have the 2 holes there where the pumps were originally mounted

Or is that not a good idea?

Should I just get 2 of the highest GPH return pumps that will fit in the return pump chamber and just use whatever pump I want from the sump to the tank?

I know that way would work but I was always under the impression people were doing what I was originally thinking of but I guess not?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
An yes. Are you still running your RSM? Your build thread was a huge inspiration for me choosing that tank.

Yes. But I need to break it down soon. Mechanics curse. Time to downsize and move the hobby out of the house and back in the office.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Sorry for the late bump to this thread. I'm currently looking into the Red Seamax 130D and I have questions about the skimmer. I see many people mod the skimmer that comes with but I have a different question: is the skimmer optional? I don't think I want it on the tank but I want to make sure it is optional before I decide not to use it.

Thank you for your assistance!

Steve

• 2 months later...

I am going to look at 130 tank anyone have any pointers on what to look for? I started a thread but no one has posted so I thought I would post on here. Thanks

Spirofucci

RSM 130's are great! I highly recommend going through Stevie's thread. I think this is the best way to become aquainted with the RSM and all the necessary mods.

As you can see there is not too much action in this thread!

• Like 2