Cultivated Reef

Red Sea Max Index Thread

StevieT

I don't think I was making them then. Also the sticker that is made is about as big as that mount. Not saying I couldn't make it smaller just rambling on here about nothing

• 2 weeks later...

Stevie, I've got a seal problem on the rim of my RSM130 and red sea customer service has not been responsive. Have users successfully sealed with silicone on the inside (without emptying system) to mitigate a leak on what seems like an original RSM130? Any advice for a front rim leak? Silicone on outside has not solved my problem...

I've been trying to get dimensions of the back chamber to see if I can fit a nano reactor in there. RSM has not responded, what is the point of registering my tanks serial # with them if I can't get support or a response.

Something tells me Stevie T knows the dimensions of the back chamber on a 130.

The height is 15.5" to the strips the skimmer rests on. The overall height is about 17.5-18" but those strips do stick out a little.

The depth is 84mm. The overall width you can measure (not by the tank right now) and I don't have the stock skimmer so you can measure that width on your tank of specific areas. The skimmer angels towards the intake area and is pretty straight up and down on it's left side..

Edited by StevieT

Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask oh ye fellow RSM 130 owners to see who has Radions installed? I just put one on my tank and want to find out how everyone acclimated their corals/tank inhabitants to it?

I am moving from the stock hood with stock T5s.

I mounted it 8in above the water line. Gets nice dispersion. Is this the "norm"?

I have set mine to artificial mode, 40% brightness, lights start at 6am, ramp up to 40% at 8am, constant until 5pm and ramp down to 7pm and some night light until 9:30pm when its totally dark. Thats a 9 hour photo period of full lights.

I have the 40% set to 12K, does it really matter how much of each colour their is? Is this purely a aesthetics thing? I like the look of it at 5k, everything above looks very blue-ish.

I want to do whats right for my corals and fish though... any input is greatly appreciated. :)

I will post some pics soon... I am loving the Radions so far!

Chod.

Edited by Chod

Now why didn't that show up when i searched for Radion! :o

I noticed you run yours from 11am to 10pm. You also have a more natural curve (if you can call that a curve...) so it peaks at 2pm and then immediately starts to taper off slowly.

I have set mine to be slowly on, and then constant for the day. I have a feeling i should change this to a more natural curve. Makes sense... either that or set it into the natural mode.

I also noticed your colour settings, did you just arbitrarily pick the colours that you liked most?

I agree, I can never seem to get what I'm looking for on the search, lol.

I put a Radion on my RSM 130 about a month ago. I started @ 50% on natural mode, left it there for a week and went right to 100% with no ill effects. IMO the stock lighting is quite good and I have read that some folks actually lost some SPS cause they did not up the intensity fast enough.

I have mine set from 1000 to 2300 on natural mode so far. I'd like to program some night lights but I don't think you can do it yet on natural mode.

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

I love this light. Good luck with yours! Pics would be nice!!!

I agree, I can never seem to get what I'm looking for on the search, lol.

I put a Radion on my RSM 130 about a month ago. I started @ 50% on natural mode, left it there for a week and went right to 100% with no ill effects. IMO the stock lighting is quite good and I have read that some folks actually lost some SPS cause they did not up the intensity fast enough.

I have mine set from 1000 to 2300 on natural mode so far. I'd like to program some night lights but I don't think you can do it yet on natural mode.

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

I love this light. Good luck with yours! Pics would be nice!!!

Nice! Looking good!

I have quite a few corals up high, nothing thats very delicate but id rather play it safe. I don't have any SPS so i don't think i will under light it... but i might ramp it up a bit quicker. 10% a week was my plan. Looks like my photo period seems normal ish.

In Natural Mode, did you get a chance to choose the Kelvin? If so, did you just put it on 20k or pick whatever you thought looked good? Is there a tutorial or guide that you know of that explains the spectrum of light for corals so that you can customize it?

For the night mode, would you just put the royal blue to 100% and set the tank to 10 - 20% for a few hours?

The light looks amazing. Its expensive, yes, but wow what a difference from the stock lighting. I didn't feel comfortable messing around with the hood. Its brought a whole new level of enjoyment to the aquarium.

Oh one other question, i have some fish that like to jump, rather then putting nets all around the tank, i cut a bit of perspex that covers the tank. Should i drill holes in that for the air to get in and out? I know it gets a bit damp, if it had some air it would probably be better. What do you guys use? I have heard of some people getting glass cut for it, but that seems a bit overkill. I don't feel comfortable leaving it open because we have it in our office and don't want people putting stuff in there. (Doctors office)

Nice! Looking good!

I have quite a few corals up high, nothing thats very delicate but id rather play it safe. I don't have any SPS so i don't think i will under light it... but i might ramp it up a bit quicker. 10% a week was my plan. Looks like my photo period seems normal ish.

In Natural Mode, did you get a chance to choose the Kelvin? If so, did you just put it on 20k or pick whatever you thought looked good? Is there a tutorial or guide that you know of that explains the spectrum of light for corals so that you can customize it?

For the night mode, would you just put the royal blue to 100% and set the tank to 10 - 20% for a few hours?

The light looks amazing. Its expensive, yes, but wow what a difference from the stock lighting. I didn't feel comfortable messing around with the hood. Its brought a whole new level of enjoyment to the aquarium.

Oh one other question, i have some fish that like to jump, rather then putting nets all around the tank, i cut a bit of perspex that covers the tank. Should i drill holes in that for the air to get in and out? I know it gets a bit damp, if it had some air it would probably be better. What do you guys use? I have heard of some people getting glass cut for it, but that seems a bit overkill. I don't feel comfortable leaving it open because we have it in our office and don't want people putting stuff in there. (Doctors office)

In natural mode you can't choose a kelvin temp, it just ramps up to I think 1200 and then back down again. As far as I know there is no tutorial for what light mixture is best for corals. I use the natural mode because it utilizes all the colors it has. I don't think messing around with different color spectrums is a good idea.

I don't think you can program a night mode in the natural setting yet.

I assume you took off the RSM hood and are using a flat clear cover of some sort? I'm not sure, but I think you will loose quite a bit of the light as it goes through that cover.

Hope this helps a little! Show us some pics of your set up!

-mark

In natural mode you can't choose a kelvin temp, it just ramps up to I think 1200 and then back down again. As far as I know there is no tutorial for what light mixture is best for corals. I use the natural mode because it utilizes all the colors it has. I don't think messing around with different color spectrums is a good idea.

I don't think you can program a night mode in the natural setting yet.

I assume you took off the RSM hood and are using a flat clear cover of some sort? I'm not sure, but I think you will loose quite a bit of the light as it goes through that cover.

Hope this helps a little! Show us some pics of your set up!

-mark

Hrm, i might pop mine onto natural mode tomorrow and just set it to 50%.

So far everything looks great. I did remove the hood entirely. Hung the light 8in above the water. And cut a piece of perspex that covers the rim so that i don't get any flying fishes.

I think what i might do instead, is cut the inside of the perspex and put in a quarter inch mesh. That should reduce the amount of light thats blocked while still reduce the changes of super fish.

Or make a nice little box around the outside. Need to buy the plastic cement for that. Might give it a try tomorrow.

Some pics of our installation:

post-54304-1330475770_thumb.jpg

post-54304-1330475783_thumb.jpg

post-54304-1330475789_thumb.jpg

Wow, sorry i don't know why they were post upside down!?

How does the water stay in! haha. Tank looks great!

I made an acrylic box around mine to help with fish jumping, hide the glare of the light and cover the ugly stuff in the back.

I noticed you run yours from 11am to 10pm. You also have a more natural curve (if you can call that a curve...) so it peaks at 2pm and then immediately starts to taper off slowly.

I have set mine to be slowly on, and then constant for the day. I have a feeling i should change this to a more natural curve. Makes sense... either that or set it into the natural mode.

I also noticed your colour settings, did you just arbitrarily pick the colours that you liked most?

It does taper off but it is not as much "power" as the graph shows. It goes down with the color increase to more blue as well.

Goes from 12K all the way to 20K throughout the day. So you have more of a high noon effect then as the day ages it becomes more blue. I am not home in the day to see the tank so when I am around it I want it to look from 14K-20K.

I still am at 90% for the highest part of of the day, still have not gone up to 100%. Mainly just haven't had the chance to touch the tank in a few months.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting really tired of not getting any response from Red Sea Max. One of my return pumps blows bubbles for no reason intermittently. Not micro bubbles, big bubbles. The water level is sky high and the other pump is behaving but this one is problematic. The tank is not even 3 months old and I can;t get RSM to respond! Dpes anyone have a # or email for a specific person I could contact?

Thanks

North America

Red Sea,

18125 Ammi Trail,

Houston, Texas 77060, USA.

Toll Free: 1-888-REDSEA9

TEL: +1 (0)281 447 0205

FAX: +1 (0)281 447 1153

redseainfo@redseafish.com b.gif

The only way for air to get in is from the top if the intake is truly underwater. Just thinking out loud but if that is the case then a bad seal on the top. Like you were advised by red sea try it in a bucket to troubleshoot.

The top pump design is just bad over all. No one else does this.